Make a donation

Author Topic: Spark Plugs - When To Change?  (Read 5648 times)

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 1
Spark Plugs - When To Change?
« on: May 30, 2017, 08:55:22 pm »
Hi, I was just wondering at what mileage the spark plugs should be changed on a MK5 GTI?

My car went in for servicing last week and I noticed they didn't change the plugs. I thought this was odd as my car has done 70k miles and looking in the servicing book they appear to never have been changed. When I queried it with the person on the servicing desk they said they'd checked with the mechanic and they advised they needed changing at 80k. However in my servicing book it advises 60k for 2 litre TFSI engines.

Anyone know which is correct?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Spark Plugs - When To Change?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 10:28:09 pm »
Hi, I was just wondering at what mileage the spark plugs should be changed on a MK5 GTI?

My car went in for servicing last week and I noticed they didn't change the plugs. I thought this was odd as my car has done 70k miles and looking in the servicing book they appear to never have been changed. When I queried it with the person on the servicing desk they said they'd checked with the mechanic and they advised they needed changing at 80k. However in my servicing book it advises 60k for 2 litre TFSI engines.

Anyone know which is correct?
For the price of four plugs maybe it's an idea to just replace them for peace of mind.

When I bought mine I nailed down the big bits, in terms of what I saw receipts for etc, and then anything else - things I'd deem as consumables, like plugs, DV etc - I just renewed. It's a few quid and then it's done.

Unless you're tuned the OEM Bosch plugs are what you want.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 08:20:18 am »
I changed mine at the last major service even though they had no issue.

Very easy to do yourself, I popped them out in a car park for my buddy last week it's that simple.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 09:39:15 am »
60K  :surprised:

On a remapped / hybrid / BT engine, you'll be wanting to half that interval at least!!  I do mine every year.  I like to keep the plug threads 'worked' to avoid corrosion and check for rocker gasket leaks etc.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 12:26:07 am »
40k or 3 year major service interval

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 09:42:01 am »
I change mine every year but then I am Revo 2+ and run a large shot of high concentration WMI....

I'd certainly change them every two years or few services on a standard car for what they cost.... I hate scrimping on maintenance
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 10:36:40 am »
Thanks for the replies, of course I could change them myself but feel a bit fobbed off by vw saying they don't need doing when I have already paid for long life servicing with them and they said they would be changed. Will likely just save the hassle and do it myself as won't be in for another service until 2019.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 12:49:14 pm by JTI »

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 12:29:13 pm »
Long life servicing is the devil....... Get it done annually at least
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 01:45:46 pm »
I take my eddy in purely for the stamps.  If it was a regular and leggy GTI, I wouldn't bother.  Buyers of 'special' editions love their stamps unfortunately, but I change the plugs and oil etc myself in-between services for a belt & braces approach.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D