Make a donation

Author Topic: Bwa engine thermostat replaced now fans running hard  (Read 4965 times)

Offline Richie-VRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
Re: Bwa engine thermostat replaced now fans running hard
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 10:37:49 pm »
When I said about the sensor on the stat I meant the one in the coolant hose, for some reason I remembered it as being in the stat.

Offline Dan1290

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 10:40:32 pm »
When I said about the sensor on the stat I meant the one in the coolant hose, for some reason I remembered it as being in the stat.
There are 2 one is below the stat and the other is on the right hand side of the engine coolant outlet.. In going to changes coolant outlets first and see if the fans stop blazing everytime I pull up

Offline Richie-VRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 12:47:52 pm »
There are 2 one is below the stat and the other is on the right hand side of the engine coolant outlet.. In going to changes coolant outlets first and see if the fans stop blazing everytime I pull up

Yeah I've got the one at the right hand side to change as my fan runs all the time, might do it this weekend. Don't fancy having to change the other one.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 02:13:21 pm »
Good practice to renew Your temperature sensor located on the side of the block underneath the intake pipe and your small fan might of had it mine did and it sounded like a jumbo jet taking off after shutting down the engine

Indeed.  That sensor is notorious and has been revised numerous times since it was first introduced in the 1.8T/R32.   I did mine alongside a new stat, both parts from VW.  The sensor isn't cheap, mind.  £45 I think I paid for it.
Had zero issues with the fans afterwards, so this is a curious problem!

I've heard if the fuse for the smaller fan blows, the second one takes over, so you could be onto something there.
As the fan controller is built into the fans, troubleshooting them isn't easy, but it's all tied into the after-run circuit that also runs the electric water pump for 5 mins after shut down.  Dan, did you disturb the electric pump connection?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Dan1290

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2017, 08:31:43 am »
So... I replaced the temperature sensor over the gearbox and nothing has changed still running around @100° Any ideas I'm thinking dodgy thermostat   :thinking:

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2017, 09:55:07 am »
There must be something going on here\something that we are all missing??

Because I have had exactly the same problem after replacing my main thermostat!!

I changed the two in-line stats also and that didn't help...

I'm going to try what Richie VRS said (thanks very much for the tip Richie) and bleed the system a bit more carefully with the heat on and the cap open etc..

Will keep you all posted  :happy2:

Offline Dan1290

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2017, 10:13:34 am »
There must be something going on here\something that we are all missing??

Because I have had exactly the same problem after replacing my main thermostat!!

I changed the two in-line stats also and that didn't help...

I'm going to try what Richie VRS said (thanks very much for the tip Richie) and bleed the system a bit more carefully with the heat on and the cap open etc..

Will keep you all posted  :happy2:
@ducman77 are you having the same issues then running hot? Its doing my head in.. IV tried the cap off / heaters job still no joy mate.. Keep me posted

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2017, 10:26:52 am »
 I'm not sure about the running hot buddy? My temperature gauge is sitting exactly at 90?

I will have to connect it to the VCDS and see what actual degrees it's reading.

The Problem that I have is whenever I stop at the lights or come home and park the fans are running like mad and the rpms are 1,000+  The whole thing is just really unsatisfying!!

I tried recharging my battery ironically and that seemed to help for awhile??

I will persevere in trying to sort it out and I will definitely keep you posted!
Cheers,
Dave

aggie

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2017, 02:25:55 pm »
hi im new to this page i have a vw golf 2.0 tdi mrk5 56 plate iv replaced the clucth all went back nice started driveing for around 20 mins then a ticking noise cum when u pressed clucth down lift the clucth bk stops then the hoter the car gets it gets bad eny help plzzz