Make a donation

Author Topic: Some bell end damaged my car. Advice on repair?  (Read 4436 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Some bell end damaged my car. Advice on repair?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 03:05:53 am »
Double skin on the rear panel so needs filler and paint :thinking:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: Some bell end damaged my car. Advice on repair?
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 01:50:46 pm »
Damage like that I wouldn't have bothered taking through insurance. Would only cost you a few hundred at the very most to fix but you're likely to pay more for your increased insurance premium over the coming years. The majority of the damage there would polish out tbh. Would say you're looking at about £300 at the very most for a good quality repair, go round to some cheaper bodyshops and they'll barely charge you £100 to fix that.

Pretty sure failure to declare an accident even as the victim will now invalidate your insurance anyway so its a bit of a gamble either way. I might be wrong given but insurance companies want every oppurtunity to label you a risk nowadays...

Insurance companies and body shops want every opportunity to milk as much cash from you as possible.  A £100 superficial scrape turns into a £500 minimum claim by the time those two have rubbed each other's backs.  The cost of which is dumped onto policyholders and they give each other a nice kick back from it in the process.  I despise the whole rotten and corrupt system. And then of course, months of whiplash claim texts follow. 

I agree in that it should be reported though, just to protect yourself, because the van driver might be an arsehole and turn it around onto you.  Damage to his van, whiplash or personal injury claim etc etc.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 01:53:33 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D