Make a donation

Author Topic: Autotech HPFP Internals on stock ED30  (Read 6234 times)

Offline Manny_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
Autotech HPFP Internals on stock ED30
« on: June 05, 2017, 10:49:56 am »
Hi Guys

Would Autotech Internals work fine with a a stock ed30? I don't plan to remap it yet but need my HPFP replacing. I am planning to go bigger power in the future and adding the Autotech internals were part of those plans, so if possible I would prefer to do it now to save buying two HPFP's...

Any advice on this will be appreciated!

Thank you in advance
Stealth Racing Stage 2+ Tornado Red 5dr DSG Edition 30
Mk2 Oak Green 16v -> 1.8T - Still Sleeping..

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
Re: Autotech HPFP Internals on stock ED30
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 10:54:01 am »
It'll run fine with any uprated HPFP....
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Manny_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 10:58:15 am »
Thanks Dan. Any chance you the know the place offering best price to order one from?

P.S. Had to query this as I wasn't sure if it would if it would start chucking in more fuel without being mapped in..rookie doubts
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 11:01:48 am by Manny_ED30 »

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 12:20:04 pm »
To be honest if it were me I'd be looking elsewhere. I have a LOBA pump in mine, but if you can't stretch to a whole pump I'd look at the VIS internals... Usually around the £250 mark from memory
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 12:51:23 pm »
The pump will only supply the pressure the ECU requests, so you don't need to worry about going too rich or anything. But when the ECU requests more than the pump can supply - that's an issue...

Initially the upgraded pumps were seen as a necessity only for Stage 2+ maps, but as time went on it became quite clear that standard pumps were a bit of a mixed bag. Most handle Stage 2 levels of fuelling, but some don't. And bearing in mind a Stage 2 map is intended to request fuel within the limits of a standard pump (unlike 2+) there have been quite a few accounts of TFSIs suffering fuel cuts on Stage 2 maps. Mine included.

So I'd personally recommend an uprated pump at lower states of tune, not just balls-out 2+. Some members on here noticed an improvement even at Stage 1 - more consistent power, stronger midrange etc - so it's clear the standard pump can be a weak link in general.

It'd be a savvy move to prioritise the pump ahead of say a bigger intercooler or intake. I'd agree with Dan that overall the best option is a full replacement, like Loba or APR. The problems with uprated internals stem from the installation process rather than the internals themselves. It needs doing properly, and from what I've heard it's easy to get it wrong.

You'll pay a premium for the likes of a Loba, but you're paying for peace of mind. Being a k04 car there would also be some benefit to fitting the RS4 return valve while you're at it.

Offline Manny_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 01:33:46 pm »
Thank you for your replies!

Understood. Yes I've seen the Loba pumps etc but they are out of my price range at the moment. I wasn't on planning to replace the HPFP however it's no longer usable in a freak accident when replacing the cam follower. I did do a search on the autotech internals & read enough to convince me to buy one.

Main priority right now is getting the car back on the road as soon as possible. If I could do this and afford the internals then it's a win for now.

Would even consider the entire OEM part if possible - does anyone know the price of these?

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 01:59:03 pm »
They're around £150 new from memory, maybe a little more, can normally find used ones for 50-60....  TFSI Tuning on facebook is a good place to look.
The only time I'd consider internals is when fitting to a new pump... But then you might aswell buy a pre-assembled pump as you're in to similar money

The main issue aside from total failure is the internal seal leaking causing petrol to mix in with your oil... Will cause serious damage and isn't always easy to spot until its too late. As already mentioned, installation has to be spot on too.

Offline Manny_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 02:11:32 pm »
Right, Yeah I get where you're coming from Dan and I think I may revert to a standard part and when the time comes to it go LOBA or APR. - if there are risks associated with replacing the internals I'll try and avoid at all costs.

Thanks for your help on this. - Now to find a oem part..

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 02:19:31 pm »
New one on ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VW-VOLKSWAGEN-2-0T-PETROL-FSI-HIGH-PRESSURE-FUEL-PUMP-06F127025M-/381518068074   

When I was in the same boat, I ended up getting a Loba as back then they were £250 from the dealer, and the Loba was £500.  So as I was already half way to a Loba anyway, I thought "F'ck it, may aswell....." as you do with these sodding cars  :grin:

Personally I would go Loba or, a second hand one for 50 quid as already mentioned. 

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Manny_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 02:31:27 pm »
Thanks Pudding :notworthy:

I'll most probably order this one for now. Keeping the car long term so no rush!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:16:39 am by Manny_ED30 »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 03:30:09 pm »
Lol no worries.  If you do get that one, I would get the newer blue O ring for it from the dealer or somewhere like AKS Tuning.  That pump has the older black O ring on it, which doesn't last as long.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Manny_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 03:53:44 pm »
Yeah - I've got one of these with the new cam follower. Nice one for the heads up on this.

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 25
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95928.60.html
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 11:54:06 pm »
Ricky at tsr performance is cheapest on autotech internals and nothing wrong with them if fitted in clean environment.
Vis are as good and cheaper but a lot longer delivery I believe.
If you want a 2nd hand pump then shanny shanwaz on Facebook is best place he splits tfsi cars

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 12:56:53 am »
VIS internals for the win  :happy2:

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 09:48:02 am »
The main issue aside from total failure is the internal seal leaking causing petrol to mix in with your oil... Will cause serious damage and isn't always easy to spot until its too late. As already mentioned, installation has to be spot on too.

I've had this happen to me with AutoTech internals. My installation was good but my pump seal was already on the way out. Only realised this in hindsight.
Now using Integrated Engineering internals and highly recommend them.