Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG has went boom  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Ben_VTR

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
DSG has went boom
« on: June 05, 2017, 11:14:23 am »
Hi all. I drive a 2007 BWA Jetta TFSI Sport. Has 75,000 on it, and last week it started to become tricky to engage reverse.
Last night after pulling onto a main road, the gearbox went bang, started making very bad grinding noises, and stopped. All of the gearbox oil has escaped, and car won't move in D or R, just grinds and scrapes. Engine is okay as it revs etc in neutral.

So I'll need a whole replacement DSG unit. Can anyone tell me if this is possible without having to go to VW? Can I buy a replacement gearbox from another BWA car and swap it in? How hard would it be to code it to the car? My mechanic told me he thinks each gearbox is hard coded to the chassis so swaps aren't possible. Is he right?

I've seen a couple of replacment DSGs from an Eos and Mk5 GTi on ebay for around £450/500. Hoping I'll be able to use one of them.

Any help/suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
Re: DSG has went boom
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 11:35:24 am »
Yes, you can put another dsg box in. I did it on my old golf. I bought mine second hand at about  £250 But that was cheap. Should get one for sub £500

Offline Ben_VTR

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: DSG has went boom
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 12:01:12 pm »
Theres a couple of BWA DSGs on ebay for £450. Just waiting in finding out if they had the 40k oil change done then I'll buy one.

Found a guy who used to work in VW who can swap the boxes and code the new one.