Make a donation

Author Topic: Buying advice / anyone know this car?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline hugefoot

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Buying advice / anyone know this car?
« on: June 05, 2017, 07:48:47 pm »
Hi all,

Hope this is the right section to post in?

As per my wanted post, have been looking for a little while to try and find the spec I'm after.

Found one which I viewed tonight, and wanted to see if anyone on here knows the car? It's registration is NU56 FCC.

Have read the buying guides and looked for the main items being rust, cambelt replacement, dipstick test, AC blowing cold, heated seats work.

The car has c. 90,000 miles, and had the cambelt replaced at 45,000 miles.

The service book is stamped with just about regular service intervals every 12-18 months, however it doesn't come with any old invoices.

Should I be worried about the history? The car felt tight on a test drive, but it's only the second I've seen and want to make sure my start to GTI ownership goes well...!

Other thing I noticed is the panel gap on the NSR bumper is very close and had a black gum/resin in between it, would this suggest a bump/repaired damage?

Thanks all. Image of car attached.

Edited to fix image.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 08:04:01 pm by hugefoot »

Offline Golfmk5GTD

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Buying advice / anyone know this car?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 07:50:28 pm »
Hi mate,

Can't see the attached image?

Offline hugefoot

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 07:52:42 pm »
Fixed it... I think?!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 01:53:43 pm »
Buy on condition, not by how many receipts are in the folder.  People are way too risk averse when buying s/hand cars these days it seems.  If you like it, buy it.  What's the worse that could happen?  It's just a car, not a hip replacement.

I bought my Edition 30 on the spot after a test drive. I knew nothing about MK5s what so ever. It put a big smile on my face on the test drive and that's all I needed to know.

Just use common sense and instincts.  Is there any play in the steering?  Does the car wander in a straight line?  Any nasty knocks and bangs over bumps?  What's the oil level like? Any smoke?  How do the gears feel?  What's the tyre tread wear like?  Does the A/C work? Etc etc.  All the usual and basic checks.

Rear visibility is poor in the MK5 because of it's raised hips in 3 door flavor, and smaller tailgate window as a consequence, so minor bumper knocks aren't uncommon.  I've reversed mine into my boundary wall several times!  So long as the metalwork is straight and all the doors, tailgate & bonnet have a uniform gap, there is no cause for concern.  Look underneath as well for straight sills and unbroken plastic belly pans.

Go with your gut.  If something doesn't sound or feel right about it, move on.  There's plenty of choice out there.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Leco_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 02:53:59 pm »
I couldn't agree more about what Pudding said. I also bought my MK5 without knowing anything.

Check if the car gets to temperature and it doesn't fluctuate. I would also check if the tyres are run flat or non run flat (mine were run flat).

Good luck.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 03:44:59 pm »
If issues do crop up after purchase, I've found they are not expensive or difficult cars to maintain.  I do have a lot of experience with VWs spanning back to the early 90s - but not MK5s or newer - and I've got a lot of tools, so there's been nothing I couldn't do myself on the MK5, either by just figuring it out or looking things up online.

There is a TON if info about these cars online, including step by step guides on here, and videos on youtube.  You can't go wrong really.....so long as the car is honest and straight.  If you get a bent lemon that's been crashed, well, things can get messy.

Don't be too alarmed by iffy looking paint on the front bumper / bonnet.  These cars are prone to stone chipping and fastidious owners like to get the paint refreshed.  The bodyshell is the important bit.  Cosmetics and engines are easily fixed / replaced.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D