Make a donation

Author Topic: Been sent the wrong gearbox  (Read 1471 times)

Offline veedubster

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Been sent the wrong gearbox
« on: September 02, 2017, 01:25:42 pm »
Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of advice please. One of my relatives has recently bought a Golf MK5 non runner with a broken DSG gearbox. He found a replacement gearbox (same code as the one in the car) advertised on eBay by a breaker. He phoned them to reconfirm it was the correct box and to confirm a few details. They said if he paid them directly he would save some costs so he went ahead. When the gearbox arrived, it had the code written in yellow pen but when we took off one of the mounting plates, the gearbox code stamped by VW was different to the one advertised. We checked with TPS and a few VW garage guys and even though there are some compatible codes, the one sent to us will not work.

We spoke to the seller and he claims that we have been sent the correct box and just to fit it and it will work. We were not prepared to take the risk so we sent it back (and paid the return costs) so we could our recover some of our money back. The seller has now returned the price of the box minus the initial shipping costs saying it was not their mistake.

We are out of pocket for about £100 but clearly feel we have we been sent something not as advertised and just been bullied by the seller.

Has anyone had any similar experiences and can give any recommendations on what (if anything) we can do. All future purchases will be through PayPal as clearly this has been so much hassle.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 01:33:16 pm by veedubster »

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
Re: Been sent the wrong gearbox
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 02:09:12 pm »
I don't know with the DSG boxes. But with the 6speed manuel several codes will fit the example mine BKD engine.

But sure sounds like you guys had a bad expirence, never had any trouble buying from eBay. Just make the seller take a picture of the code you need before he ships out to avoid any future trouble?

Hope you'll get sorted.
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 09:58:24 am »
Small Claims Court to recover your losses? Apparently quite straightforward - costs about £30, not sure if you can recover costs if your case is successful, but a bit of research should be easy to find out.

Maybe it's just one to put down to experience - at least you got the bulk back

Offline DANBOY66

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,74301.0.html
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 10:52:57 am »
should of just fitted it it would of worked

i fitted a eos 2012 dsg gearbox in my 2007 passat although they was both tdi gearboxes  :happy2:
Dan..

Seat Ibiza cupra 06 1.8T GTX2867R GEN2 track toy in the making
Passat TDI 170 DSG the Family mini cab

Offline veedubster

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 12:07:39 pm »
Thanks guys.

Didn't want to take the risk of having to get the box fitted and the expense of it all if it didn't work.

Its just crap that it's his mistake and we are footing the bill.

Offline spesh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 08:40:13 pm »
Did you pay with a credit card?  If so chargeback is an option