Make a donation

Author Topic: Low oil pressure  (Read 9354 times)

Offline mycarnowork

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
Low oil pressure
« on: July 16, 2017, 12:45:35 pm »
Right, first post and it's about my broken car. I've had my 2005 mk5 golf gti for 4 months and it's been running fine. Thursday on way to work low oil pressure light come up saying stop car. I was on a busy dual carriage way so it was not safe to stop. It was probably 2-3 minutes I kept driving when I saw a off road for a small farm road so pulled in. Car engine cut out just before I pulled in. I had car towed to my house. Recovery guy suggested it could be the pressure switch. I have replaced that(which was an c**t to get to). Car refuses to start now.

I'm not sure how to proceed now as modern electrics makes fault finding a little more difficult. I have a question. If say the wiring for the pressure switch was faulty would that stop the car starting? When the car cut out do you think that the car electronics cut the engine as a safety measure?

I'll probably end up having to get a mobile mechanic or have it towed to a garage to diagnose but would like to hear any ideas what problem could be?

Thanks in advance.

Offline mycarnowork

• Taking part
  • Thank You
Re: Low oil pressure
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 08:08:32 pm »
Any recommendations of garages in Derby?

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 10:59:39 pm »
Can you turn the engine over by hand at the crankshaft? It's a 19mm 12pt socket and quite easy to get to. Just need drivers side wheel arch off. Hopefully the engine isnt seized.

You need to scan for fault codes. But it's not looking good I'm afraid. I had the exact same thing happen, and it was my cam chain that snapped. Not saying yours has, but for the engine to cut out and refuse to turn on again, that's bad news unfrotunately

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 08:56:06 am »
If your capable with your car, id try getting the car towed home. if not get it towed to a garage.
the first thing i would try is a changing the pick-up pipe.

drop the sum and change the oil sucker. if not that then maybe the oil pump which is quite expensive. about 500 last I heard

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 09:09:35 am »
If your capable with your car, id try getting the car towed home. if not get it towed to a garage.
the first thing i would try is a changing the pick-up pipe.

drop the sum and change the oil sucker. if not that then maybe the oil pump which is quite expensive. about 500 last I heard

I originally thought this but as peskyjones pointed out, if the car won't start at all it's quite possibly something more sinister i.e. chain

Would agree though to drop sump and check out the pipe. There's also 2 sensors on the sump and not just the 1 correct?

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 09:31:13 am »
Hmmm,

I only have 1 which is oil level sensor. If that is faulty it will just say oil low all the time.

No harm in changing the pick up pipe anyway. Also get a compression test done.try to eliminate the issue. Think its a garage job to be honest.
Hope you get it sorted soon

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 10:20:55 am »
Hmmm,

I only have 1 which is oil level sensor. If that is faulty it will just say oil low all the time.

No harm in changing the pick up pipe anyway. Also get a compression test done.try to eliminate the issue. Think its a garage job to be honest.
Hope you get it sorted soon

Think I remember it being oil level sensor and oil pressure sensor?

My buddy recently had a similar issue and got a new engine which needed both replaced.

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 10:47:56 am »

Hi there

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your motor.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Stoney Cross Garage in Spondon (www.stoneycrossgarage.co.uk).  The owner Martin has a great set up there, is honest and open and easy to talk to.  He also has a real soft spot for a GTI...

Hope this helps
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline mycarnowork

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 04:22:02 pm »

Hi there

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your motor.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Stoney Cross Garage in Spondon (www.stoneycrossgarage.co.uk).  The owner Martin has a great set up there, is honest and open and easy to talk to.  He also has a real soft spot for a GTI...

Hope this helps

Thanks for that. Someone is going to look at the car sunday but if they can't do any thing I phone that garage up.

Offline mycarnowork

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 07:13:59 pm »
Can you turn the engine over by hand at the crankshaft? It's a 19mm 12pt socket and quite easy to get to. Just need drivers side wheel arch off. Hopefully the engine isnt seized.

You need to scan for fault codes. But it's not looking good I'm afraid. I had the exact same thing happen, and it was my cam chain that snapped. Not saying yours has, but for the engine to cut out and refuse to turn on again, that's bad news unfrotunately

The engine turns over with the starter but doesn't start. It has a cambelt and I have removed the inspection cover and the belts looks in one piece.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 01:50:18 pm »

The engine turns over with the starter but doesn't start. It has a cambelt and I have removed the inspection cover and the belts looks in one piece.

It also has a cam chain. The cam belt links the crankshaft to the exhaust cam shaft. The cam chain, on the otherside of the head, links the inlet camshaft to exhaust camshaft.

Id have the rocker cover, and in turn the cam chain cover off to have a look at the condition up there.

Offline mycarnowork

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 09:10:33 pm »

It also has a cam chain. The cam belt links the crankshaft to the exhaust cam shaft. The cam chain, on the otherside of the head, links the inlet camshaft to exhaust camshaft.

Id have the rocker cover, and in turn the cam chain cover off to have a look at the condition up there.

Yes thanks for that. I've been watching a few youtube video's and see it does have both. I give it a check when I get chance.

Offline mycarnowork

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 11:24:41 am »

You were right. I had someone have a look this morning and camshaft was not turning. I'll just have to see what the damage is.

Offline andy1979uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 01:21:50 pm »
Oil pump failure due to either slipped drive chain or blocked pickup pipe would be my guess.

Offline mycarnowork

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 06:56:19 pm »
Finally got the head off. It's taken me a while because I have a bike for transport so was in no rush. Been using online guides to help me. This sites been awesome http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Volkswagen_Golf_GTI_Mk_V/VW_GTI_Mark_V_Tech.htm Best repair guide I have ever seen.

Initially I thought I got lucky as it looked like the valves were good but I have turned the head over and left a pool of brake cleaner over all the valve with spark plugs still in. I left it a few hours and the brake cleaner drained through. Also I have notice a cut out that I don't think is meant to be there and looks like it's damaged. In the pic it is on the intake camshaft side on the right hand top  side of the engine were the cam chain would be.

I have found a refurb company.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Golf-2-0-GTI-Petrol-16V-Cylinder-Head-Recondioning-Services/263046078776?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Unless anyone can recommend anyone in Derbyshire. What do you think about the head damage?

I did take a picture but can't figure out how to load it on this post?