Make a donation

Author Topic: Low oil pressure  (Read 9357 times)

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
Re: Low oil pressure
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 07:18:21 pm »
Cant comment on any decent garages, but well done in getting to where you are. Pelicanparts is brilliant, so so usefull and its a great resource. I agree, one of the best websites for guides available.

Offline mycarnowork

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 09:03:57 pm »
Cant comment on any decent garages, but well done in getting to where you are. Pelicanparts is brilliant, so so usefull and its a great resource. I agree, one of the best websites for guides available.

Without that website I think I would have struggled.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 11:54:23 pm »
Quick question, you say when you did the leak down test that you left the fluid for a couple of hours. If it didn't leak straight away, that must have been a tiny tiny hole, no?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 04:46:09 pm »
Pelicanparts is OK, but often missing some of the finer details and torque specs.

I find http://workshop-manuals.com is far better in that respect, but kudos to anyone who goes to the trouble of creating and maintaining such websites for free.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 05:06:15 pm »
That looks good pudding, what I like about Pelicanparts is how easy it is to navigate and the pictures highlighting elements with arrows.

Ive seen that workshop manual before - but never tried to use it. Just tried now, and selected mk2 seat leon and its giving me manuals for what appears to be a completely different car :laugh:

Offline mycarnowork

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2017, 06:08:43 pm »
Quick question, you say when you did the leak down test that you left the fluid for a couple of hours. If it didn't leak straight away, that must have been a tiny tiny hole, no?

I didn't leak straight away no.

Anyway I have left it with http://www.manxengines.co.uk/home.html

They'll pressure test it and do what work it needs. The bit I though might be damage was fine and meant to be there I just wasn't sure myself.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 12:00:00 am »

I didn't leak straight away no.

Anyway I have left it with http://www.manxengines.co.uk/home.html

They'll pressure test it and do what work it needs. The bit I though might be damage was fine and meant to be there I just wasn't sure myself.

Good to hear pal.

What I meant was that if that it took hours for it to leak, then the gap/s must have been tiny. Does a gap that tiny make a difference to compression?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 09:15:26 am »
That looks good pudding, what I like about Pelicanparts is how easy it is to navigate and the pictures highlighting elements with arrows.

Ive seen that workshop manual before - but never tried to use it. Just tried now, and selected mk2 seat leon and its giving me manuals for what appears to be a completely different car :laugh:

I know what you mean, it's not the easiest or best laid out site! 

But to give you an idea how incredibly useful it is, on this link, at the bottom - it clearly gives all of the torque specs and detail about the different styles of driveshaft bolt - http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/golf-mk5/running_gear_axles_steering/front_suspension_drive_shafts/assembly_overview_suspension_strut/removing_and_installing_suspension_strut_golf/

So if you'd bought bolt type A and torqued it to B's specs.....hmmmm, not good!

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2017, 09:17:30 am »
Jeez. Thats some difference. I didnt know it had torque figures initially. Having a further look round, it is indeed a great resource! It is much more indepth in terms of technical information.  I still like my pretty pictures.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2017, 09:38:45 am »
I do too, but sometimes I just need hard data when stuck in the middle of a job  :smiley:

I don't think VW use the ribbed bolt anymore btw.  The last 3 sets I've ordered over the last few years have all been the smooth type.  I always prefer ribbed for pleasure personally, less torque needed!

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2017, 09:50:53 am »
I do too, but sometimes I just need hard data when stuck in the middle of a job  :smiley:
True, and im actually going to be using this website now for the next job im doing  :happy2:

I don't think VW use the ribbed bolt anymore btw.  The last 3 sets I've ordered over the last few years have all been the smooth type.  I always prefer ribbed for pleasure personally, less torque needed!

Agreed, you definitely dont want it to snap

Offline mycarnowork

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2017, 03:51:01 pm »
The sump is off. I've taken the pick up pipe off and cleaned it out. There were some bits in in and possibly a tiny bit of the camchain tensioner but did not look too bad. I've already removed the oil filter several weeks ago which looked very bad. 

What should I be looking for on the pump. I can't see anything obvious and would rather not remove it from the car. The balance shafts don't feel loose.

I've found some guides to remove it and they say cambelt does not need to be removed so if I put the car back together if there is still an oil pressure problem I can take another look. Just waiting for the gaskets and belt to arrive from the postman.