Make a donation

Author Topic: Engine Management Light - Help  (Read 5497 times)

Offline DMackie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Engine Management Light - Help
« on: July 18, 2017, 12:22:34 pm »
Hello

I recently got an error code and the EML appearing on the dash. First thoughts from browsing the forum was that its a MAF issue. I was going to TPS anyway and picked one up. It seemed to help and the next day the EML was off my dash however it came back today on the way to work.

Can anyone help with these 3 codes. Info on the car is that it has a Milltek TBE with 200 CEL sports cat.

3 Faults Found:
005634 - Power Supply Terminal 30
               P1602 - 002 - Voltage too Low - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00100010
                    Fault Priority: 0
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 255
                    Mileage: 0 km
                    Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 0 /min
                    Load: 0.0 %
                    Speed: 0.0 km/h
                    Temperature: -40.0°C
                    Temperature: -40.0°C
                    Absolute Pres.: 0.0 mbar
                    Voltage: 0.000 V

008583 - Bank 1; System too Lean at Idle
               P2187 - 004 -  - MIL ON
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 11100100
                    Fault Frequency: 4
                    Mileage: 200955 km
                    Date: 2000.00.00
                    Time: 18:03:34

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 950 /min
                    Load: 16.1 %
                    Speed: 0.0 km/h
                    Temperature: 63.0°C
                    Temperature: 16.0°C
                    Absolute Pres.: 990.0 mbar
                    Voltage: 14.605 V

000256 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
               P0100 - 004 - Supply Voltage - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 11100100
                    Fault Frequency: 4
                    Mileage: 200955 km
                    Date: 2000.00.00
                    Time: 18:03:34

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: Engine Management Light - Help
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 01:13:01 pm »
First error is usually after disconnecting the battery, or if it takes a while to fire up when cranking. Terminal 30 is basically the battery.

The other 2 could be air leak related. Disturbed anything in the area recently, other than the MAF?

Is the car remapped?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline DMackie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 01:42:28 pm »
Ok car had been in for painting and during that time the battery died as i think my parrot is not hooked up right and drains the battery.

I did have a charcoal canister error which was fixed with a new unit. My only thoughts were N80 valve possibly failed. I had the PCV and gasket changed when i newly bought it.

Just a bit stuck. Car doesn't feel down on power and its not been mapped.

Offline DMackie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 11:19:53 am »
Disconnected the battery for 1.5 hours and connected it back up and the EML has gone out. Not sure how long it will stay out for though.

Offline Trow81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 06:57:40 pm »
Go onto Ross-Tech and search the fault codes it will give you possible reasons and solutions below are the last two you have

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DMackie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 07:03:20 pm »
Ive been on ross tech. I was just hoping someone has encountered these issues and had a solution which worked for them.

Thanks anyway.

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 07:14:35 pm »
Very power ' as in ' electric orientated, hopefully it won't resurface for you :)

Offline DMackie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 11:42:21 am »
The MAF sorted the EML. However to clear the codes fully on VAG COM i needed to go into the Engine module and clear the codes there. By doing it the normally way one of the codes stuck around.

However the rattling noise had been annoying me for a while so went in past North East Motors in Newmacher for a chat with them and went through everything i have had done and that i felt it may have been the cam chain. Went ahead and got the work carried out today and what a difference. The car is silent on idle. It cost a bit of money to do but its done now and i can get on with modding the car to stage 2.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 12:15:20 pm »
Nice!  2 problems struck off the list  :happy2:

Offline DMackie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 02:25:04 pm »
Great to have the car running smoothly. Only air intake, s3 intercooler and some suspension mods before stage 2 map at r-tech to be booked.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 02:40:26 pm »
Nice.  I'd get a pump and go straight to stage 2+ personally, because you'll end up there anyway...... may as well skip out the middle man  :smiley:

I was at AKS last week and they recommend the Wagner or Peron intercoolers.  The latter is currently being revised and due out soon.

S3 is OK, but the Wagner especially is hugely better.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 08:14:58 pm »
Nice.  I'd get a pump and go straight to stage 2+ personally, because you'll end up there anyway...... may as well skip out the middle man  :smiley:

I was at AKS last week and they recommend the Wagner or Peron intercoolers.  The latter is currently being revised and due out soon.

S3 is OK, but the Wagner especially is hugely better.
Wagner ICs are right up there. Really highly regarded in the BMW scene. A little bit on the pricey side, but if it was a money no object situation they'd be near the top of my list. APR, too.

I thought the Peron had already been revised and has been available for a while, but I could be wrong. Or it could be a second revision? I heard about pressure drop issues from my local TFSI guru... around the time the revised model was becoming a thing. That was a good few months ago.

100% agree on the pump. It's such a weak link past Stage 1 on either k03 or k04!

Offline DMackie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 06:30:16 pm »
I thought that the Peron would be too big for stage 2+ and would be best suited for the k04 turbos. I have been looking at the vis fuel pump internals as i heard they are kinder on the cam follower than the autotech internals but some advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking of getting the uprated darkside s3 intercooler which is slighter larger than the stock s3 one. Thoughts on this too please.

Down the line i may even go hydrid, bbt or tte. But at the moment i want to get handling and power mods done before getting the map done. Would stage 2+ mean getting a uprated clutch too? Im on stock clutch at 125k miles.

Cheers

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 07:06:25 pm »
I thought that the Peron would be too big for stage 2+ and would be best suited for the k04 turbos. I have been looking at the vis fuel pump internals as i heard they are kinder on the cam follower than the autotech internals but some advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking of getting the uprated darkside s3 intercooler which is slighter larger than the stock s3 one. Thoughts on this too please.

Down the line i may even go hydrid, bbt or tte. But at the moment i want to get handling and power mods done before getting the map done. Would stage 2+ mean getting a uprated clutch too? Im on stock clutch at 125k miles.

Cheers
Loba and APR are your 'ideal' fuel pump upgrades. They're costly new, but they do come up second hand now and then. Internal upgrades like VIS and Autotech... well the jury is still out. They might be fine, if installed into the existing Hitachi pump body properly. That's the key - clean and accurate installation.

If you're k03 and likely to stay k03, go for an OEM alloy-ended Audi 8P S3 intercooler.

If there's a good chance you'll go for a k04 or k03 hybrid in the future, then a Peron, Wagner, whatever good intercooler might be wise. I personally think the S3 part would be good for a k04 car, as long as the map doesn't push inlet temps too much.

Really, it boils down to the power/performance you want to achieve, and how much headroom above you're willing to pay for. Run a k04 at 20psi and you should have no problems with heat. Run a k04 at 26psi and you'll need to get things right. Translated: Map is very important.

The Darkside cooler you talk about is IIRC a Chinese THS copy, and there are quite a few like it, under different brands.

In summary - if this helps - if and when I go over 300bhp the spec will be as follows:

Loba pump
RS4 return valve
BCS full exhaust (sport cat)
S3 cooler
K04 injectors
K04 (obvs..)
Stay with Ramair intake or go back to OEM airbox
Etuners map at low 20s psi

Offline DMackie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 07:09:20 pm »
Cheers for the info man. Will work away on modding it as and when the money allows.