Make a donation

Author Topic: Car Breakdown Cover - Any Recommendations Pls?  (Read 4664 times)

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Car Breakdown Cover - Any Recommendations Pls?
« on: August 01, 2017, 08:38:04 am »
Renewal has come through for my AA at £262 for two drivers.  :surprised:

£130 ish last year - having a laugh. I will call to see what they can do, but was wondering about changing to one of the other  cheaper alternatives  for £70 - 80, for what looks to be the same level of cover (homestart; recovery; onward travel; no european cover), but concerned about the level of service they might provide (like waiting hours etc). So, anyone have any experience / suggestions, please? :thinking:

Ta chaps

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
Re: Car Breakdown Cover - Any Recommendations Pls?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 08:46:31 am »
Check out start rescue. Been with them for 3 years now. Always pay around £50 for home start and nationwide recovery.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline Gary

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 01:02:10 pm »
I got cover through Axa for £35 for the whole package, minus their European Cover.

Never had to use it though thankfully.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 01:59:17 pm »
Never using the AA again.  Crazy disparity on pricing and the couple of times I've had to use them, they were worse than useless.  It's not the drivers, they're always very decent, but rather the call center morons / company policy.

The first time I needed them, the engine blew, so I specifically told the girl on the phone to bring a flat bed for recovery.  She said no, no, we can't do that.  We have to send a driver to evaluate the situation first.  I'm telling you now, the engine is f'cked, you WILL need a flat bad.  So an hour passes, driver turns up. Yeah it's knackered mate, need a flat bed.  FFS  :doh:   5 hours wasted in total.

Second time, some rocks fell off a building site lorry onto a dual carriageway, which I didn't see in time and took out a rear wheel.   Swash buckled it to schitt and the tyre went flat immediately and wouldn't hold air.  Rang the AA.  No sir, we won't recover you as it's a road traffic accident, please call the police.  Goodbye.  F'in b1tch.

So, f'ck the AA to hell and back.  Utterly useless & utterly expensive, therefore utterly pointless and not worthy of floor space on this planet.

Greenflag are OK.  RAC not quite as bad as the AA, but similar time wasting and unhelpful policies.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 03:00:30 pm »
Renewal has come through for my AA at £262 for two drivers.  :surprised:

I had the same deal. Am paying £27 a month for 4 drivers and max cover, renewal came through at £54 a month!! Rang them and they were able to offer 35% discount on that price but glad you asked the question as Id be interested to see the experiences/recommendations of others.

Havent had to use the AA for years but never had any problem with them when I did, maybe its a recent issue.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 03:16:43 pm »
I had to do similar last year with the AA - rang up threatening to leave and they dropped the renewal price down. But I reckon you have to change every year. I did a quick quote online and greenflag are cheaper than AA and RAC so am thinking about jumping to GF next time.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 04:12:07 pm »
Have avoided the AA like the plague for many years now. They're owned by a bunch of venture capitalist shysters nowadays I believe?
Overpriced, and poor service too.
Have also experienced the requirement to get the job scoped by a patrol mech tech before any chance of a tow or recovery. Recovery then offloaded and re-loaded the car on to a fresh recovery wagon at the boundary of "his patch" . A 5 hour drive turned into a 14 hr recovery!
A fella in our village was an AA recovery driver; no mechanical knowledge/experience at all (think he was a welder/plater originally?)  Thick as pig sh1t , and rude with it too.... thankfully never had him turn out for us!

I have consequently used Auto Aid for several years. It's pay and c!aim basis  (essentially a machinery breakdown policy) which will not suit some, but they have never let me or the family down. Price this year about £50 for self and wife, any car, and any age of car (important as we have several cars, and we run a 20 yo cabby for the summer, which AA etc wil not touch!).
I think EU cover is extra, not sure as I tend to rent locally, and have not taken my car abroad for years.

Auto Aid was recommended by Martin Lewis MSE many years ago.
I have no connx, no commission etc.....

AutoAid
Customer Services:
0345 241 1359
Email:
Contact@AutoAidBreakdown.co.uk
Address:
AutoAid, St James House,
27-43 Eastern Road, Romford, Essex, RM1 3NH

Offline andyR43

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 05:43:37 pm »
I get my cover through my Nationwide Building Society account. Full UK and European assistance for myself and family members for £10 a month which also gives me and my family free Travel Insurance, Mobile Phone Insurance, Extended Warranty on electrical appliances, Identity Theft cover.

Keeping it original..............or not!!

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 06:22:19 pm »
I get my cover through my Nationwide Building Society account. Full UK and European assistance for myself and family members for £10 a month which also gives me and my family free Travel Insurance, Mobile Phone Insurance, Extended Warranty on electrical appliances, Identity Theft cover.

That seems too good to be true, hope they honour their side of the deal.

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 07:04:27 pm »
I get that "free" cover with my Nationwide Flex Plus current account too.
Have never claimed on it tho.
They won't cover the 22yo old Golf....I seem to recall that my 10 y.o. Eddy was getting "marginal" in their terms?
Will check - if I can find the paperwork.

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 07:10:46 pm »

Yes, I know about that one and was going to go for it, thanks, but that arrangement excludes breakdown service  from September onwards, which is a pity

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 08:30:30 pm »
Have avoided the AA like the plague for many years now. They're owned by a bunch of venture capitalist shysters nowadays I believe?
Overpriced, and poor service too.
Have also experienced the requirement to get the job scoped by a patrol mech tech before any chance of a tow or recovery. Recovery then offloaded and re-loaded the car on to a fresh recovery wagon at the boundary of "his patch" . A 5 hour drive turned into a 14 hr recovery!
A fella in our village was an AA recovery driver; no mechanical knowledge/experience at all (think he was a welder/plater originally?)  Thick as pig sh1t , and rude with it too.... thankfully never had him turn out for us!

I have consequently used Auto Aid for several years. It's pay and c!aim basis  (essentially a machinery breakdown policy) which will not suit some, but they have never let me or the family down. Price this year about £50 for self and wife, any car, and any age of car (important as we have several cars, and we run a 20 yo cabby for the summer, which AA etc wil not touch!).
I think EU cover is extra, not sure as I tend to rent locally, and have not taken my car abroad for years.

Auto Aid was recommended by Martin Lewis MSE many years ago.
I have no connx, no commission etc.....

AutoAid
Customer Services:
0345 241 1359
Email:
Contact@AutoAidBreakdown.co.uk
Address:
AutoAid, St James House,
27-43 Eastern Road, Romford, Essex, RM1 3NH

Seems your thoughts on the AA were correct

AA sacks chief executive Bob MacKenzie for 'gross misconduct' as shares plunge - Evening Standard
https://apple.news/AKGa6Or6ZSim5ZOt96tQG0w

Offline andyR43

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 08:44:53 pm »

Yes, I know about that one and was going to go for it, thanks, but that arrangement excludes breakdown service  from September onwards, which is a pity

From September 21st they will be removing:-

Extended Warranty Protection
Worldwide Emergency Card Assistance
Identity Theft Assistance

Breakdown cover, Travel Insurance and Mobile Phone insurance will remain but will cost £13 a month. Still a bargain!!

Offline andyR43

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 08:54:10 pm »
I get that "free" cover with my Nationwide Flex Plus current account too.
Have never claimed on it tho.
They won't cover the 22yo old Golf....I seem to recall that my 10 y.o. Eddy was getting "marginal" in their terms?
Will check - if I can find the paperwork.

Really?? The limitations they specify are copied and pasted below:-

What is covered

• Vehicles which are in a roadworthy condition and which are serviced and maintained in line with manufacturer guidelines and which meet all legal regulations, including if appropriate, having an MOT certificate and any applicable vehicle tax. It is your responsibility to ensure that all vehicles are kept in this condition throughout the period of cover and we may ask for proof in the event of a dispute • Caravans and trailers - your cover includes any caravan or trailer that is attached to your vehicle (this does not include help at the home address that we have on our records or within a ¼ of a mile of that address or the location at which your caravan is normally stored). Caravans and trailers must be fitted with a standard 50 millimetre ball coupling. All caravans and trailers must meet the requirements of Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

What isn’t covered

In addition to anything included in the Service limitations and exclusions section of this policy (see Section 3F): • Vehicles being used for hire and reward purposes (such as taxis) • Vehicles which were unroadworthy or were broken down before your policy began • Vehicles not registered in the UK • Vehicles using trade plates or where the vehicle is under the control of a motor trader for the purpose of its sale

Offline prp74

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 06:41:57 pm »

I have the same. Price is going up to £13 from Sep, but well worth it. Extended Warranty on electrical appliances, Identity Theft cover is stopping from Sep. You also get 3% on balance up to £2500 per month.

Breakdown covers home start as well and cover if you are a passenger in someone else's car. Used them twice and its been good.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:44:35 pm by prp74 »
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera