Make a donation

Author Topic: Sticking caliper temporary fix?  (Read 2884 times)

Offline P3T3R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • 05 GTI, R-Tech stage 1
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,82245.0.html
Sticking caliper temporary fix?
« on: August 05, 2017, 07:36:46 pm »
Had a squeal coming from the rear when driving the other day, car felt fine although I did notice it seemed to take longer to change up (DSG), the squeal went away quite quickly. Drove it again yesterday about 8 miles and 2 miles in the squeal came back when I stopped I could smell the brakes my drivers side/offside rear was considerably hotter, didn't need to put my hand that close to feel the heat. I'm assuming this is a sticking caliper or bent sliders, now I have spare calipers at home only problem is I'm 500 miles from home working, luckily I don't need the car other than to drive home in November.

Is there a temporary fix that I could use to get me home and change them myself, only problem is I don't have any tools other than what is with the spare wheel with me, should have more really. Or am I better having the others sent up to me and getting a garage to change them?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: Sticking caliper temporary fix?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 07:44:20 pm »
Nothing you can do mate other than change them unfortunately.  VW have used the same flawed caliper design since the MK2, and still use them!!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 09:42:01 pm »
I was in a similar position, but with a few more tools...you msy not be ab;e to do this?

backed off the handbrake adjuster that was causing the problem, and disconnected the handbrake cable. Then used a couple of bricks as a handbrake until the new calipers arrived!

Offline Gwill21

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 11:13:22 pm »
Had this happen to mine before, i managed to get it unstuck long enough just by pump the brakes on and off a few times but as mentioned above the only fix really is a new caliper if you wanna be sure.