Make a donation

Author Topic: HID kits blowing wiper motors?!  (Read 2316 times)

Offline JimmyMK5GTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
HID kits blowing wiper motors?!
« on: September 10, 2017, 07:25:54 pm »
Evening Gents,

Im looking to buy a HID kit for my mk5 but ive heard that some blow wiper motors?! Not sure if its true? Does anyone have any history of this?

If not, where do you all buy HID kits from as i dont want errors or flickering ones??

Any help is appreciated :smiley:

Offline spesh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
Re: HID kits blowing wiper motors?!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 08:36:36 pm »
subbed because I looked into this but couldn't find anything concrete

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 08:40:00 pm »
Hi mate, I'm pretty sure this boils down to the correct coding in VCDS. I've just had HIDS (in Depo projectors) fitted, so made sure I sorted this myself.

You need to check the "Bi xenons without shutters" box in VCDS. If you're not sure what that means, find someone with VCDS (a mate or an auto electrician) and show them this post.

I assume the HIDs are going in a proper projector headlight rather than the standard reflector units that should house halogens? It's a little bit frowned-upon to put HIDs in anything other than projectors - it can be a bit glarey for oncoming traffic otherwise.

Colinspence

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 09:14:30 pm »
Iv had hids in all my cars for year now and never blown anything had them in my mk5 now for 3 years and never changed anything just plug and go

Offline JimmyMK5GTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 10:44:38 pm »
Hi mate, I'm pretty sure this boils down to the correct coding in VCDS. I've just had HIDS (in Depo projectors) fitted, so made sure I sorted this myself.

You need to check the "Bi xenons without shutters" box in VCDS. If you're not sure what that means, find someone with VCDS (a mate or an auto electrician) and show them this post.

I assume the HIDs are going in a proper projector headlight rather than the standard reflector units that should house halogens? It's a little bit frowned-upon to put HIDs in anything other than projectors - it can be a bit glarey for oncoming traffic otherwise.

Hi mate, n00b response here, but whats is VCDS?? Only had my gti a matter of weeks so this is all new to me.

Ive had HIDS in all my cars in the past (106's, glanza's etc..) so never had to worry about any errors on the dash as such...

In regards to headlight fitment i was just planning on fitting them to my standard headlights that are on the car now? Would that not work?

Cheers for the response  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 07:14:56 am »

Hi mate, n00b response here, but whats is VCDS?? Only had my gti a matter of weeks so this is all new to me.

Ive had HIDS in all my cars in the past (106's, glanza's etc..) so never had to worry about any errors on the dash as such...

In regards to headlight fitment i was just planning on fitting them to my standard headlights that are on the car now? Would that not work?

VCDS is the proper VW diagnostics and coding software, loaded onto a laptop. A lead goes between the car and the laptop, letting you find fault codes, log data, and in this case set the car up correctly for certain hardware.

However, I do not recommend putting a HID kit into standard headlights. HIDs are supposed to be used in projectors. If they're used in normal reflectors it's almost impossible to ensure the light doesn't scatter and blind oncoming drivers.

I strongly suggest having a rethink. If you can't/won't fit a pair of projector headlights but still want better light output from your standard headlights, try some Osram Nightbreaker halogen bulbs, or similar. But please don't put HIDs in them.

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 09:21:01 am »
However, I do not recommend putting a HID kit into standard headlights. HIDs are supposed to be used in projectors. If they're used in normal reflectors it's almost impossible to ensure the light doesn't scatter and blind oncoming drivers.

I strongly suggest having a rethink. If you can't/won't fit a pair of projector headlights but still want better light output from your standard headlights, try some Osram Nightbreaker halogen bulbs, or similar. But please don't put HIDs in them.
[/quote]

^^This X2

Offline JimmyMK5GTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 08:46:37 pm »

VCDS is the proper VW diagnostics and coding software, loaded onto a laptop. A lead goes between the car and the laptop, letting you find fault codes, log data, and in this case set the car up correctly for certain hardware.

I see! I guess ill save my £60 and maybe invest in some projectors in the future? They are not a necessity, i just prefer the look of white headlights as apposed to standard halogen yellow..

Ill look into the nightbreakers though cheers!

I take it the projectors are the same as what R32 mk5's have?
What is this 'depo headlight' people mention? Is that just another word for standard headlights?

:thinking:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 08:53:14 pm »

I see! I guess ill save my £60 and maybe invest in some projectors in the future? They are not a necessity, i just prefer the look of white headlights as apposed to standard halogen yellow..

Ill look into the nightbreakers though cheers!

I take it the projectors are the same as what R32 mk5's have?
What is this 'depo headlight' people mention? Is that just another word for standard headlights?

:thinking:
Yep, sounds like a better plan.

Nightbreakers (and other similar halogen bulbs) give a nice white light. So you're not limited to crappy yellow light just because you have normal reflector headlights.

Depo is a brand, they make a replica of the OEM Xenon mk5 headlight. They are proper projectors, so they're ideal for HIDs. That's my current setup. You can pick up a pair of Depo projectors new for just over 200 quid IIRC.

The OEM Xenon setup is a more expensive option, but then most things OEM are. You'd theoretically get the best results from the OEM setup, but I'm quite happy with my Depo + HID setup.