Make a donation

Author Topic: Suspension Modification Questions (VWR Shocks and Springs)  (Read 3538 times)

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
Suspension Modification Questions (VWR Shocks and Springs)
« on: October 10, 2017, 11:51:57 am »
As and when my suspension needs some attention (currently stock and fine for the time being) I may upgrade the suspension components, rather than simply replace. I’ve heard positive things about the VWR shock and spring kit – slight lowering, improved handling, all whilst retaining most of the day-to-day driveability (feel free to give any thoughts on this comment).

My Main question is: if I go down this route, which other components need changing in order to do the job properly? I know only a little about the suspension on the mk5 GTI, or any other car, but I imagine by dropping the ride height slightly, some of the geometry may be changed away from the OEM ideals and make it hard to properly re-align the wheels to the car/road. I’ve seen VWR also do some adjustable drop links, are these required/reccomended for “proper” installation of their shocks and springs? As they sell both of these components, I imagine they might be designed to work together?

Do any other considerations to be made for other suspension components to ensure an optimal setup in this situation?

Thanks!
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: Suspension Modification Questions (VWR Shocks and Springs)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 01:01:03 pm »
You'll need new top mounts and top bearings. You should also replace the bolts that will have to be unscrewed. Axle bolt is a must do.

You can use your OEM droplinks. Only very lowered cars need adjustable drop links.

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 02:02:42 pm »
You'll need new top mounts and top bearings. You should also replace the bolts that will have to be unscrewed. Axle bolt is a must do.

You can use your OEM droplinks. Only very lowered cars need adjustable drop links.

Thanks for the reply. Do you mean new OEM or new up rated top-mounts & bearings? Also front and rear I assume? As for bolts, I agree, I would typically aim to replace any bolts in "loaded" areas of the car anyhow, but hadn't explicitly thought of this.

Cheers.
Current:
Previous:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 02:42:15 pm »
You can fit OEM top mounts and top bearings. AFAIK the rear top mounts are sturdy enough so you most likely won't need to replace them. I went for the TTRS/RS3 front top mounts. They are a bit softer so they compensate a bit the firmness of the ride. At the time I thought they were stronger. :laugh:

Offline Molesy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 02:58:53 pm »
As and when my suspension needs some attention (currently stock and fine for the time being) I may upgrade the suspension components, rather than simply replace. I’ve heard positive things about the VWR shock and spring kit – slight lowering, improved handling, all whilst retaining most of the day-to-day driveability (feel free to give any thoughts on this comment).

My Main question is: if I go down this route, which other components need changing in order to do the job properly? I know only a little about the suspension on the mk5 GTI, or any other car, but I imagine by dropping the ride height slightly, some of the geometry may be changed away from the OEM ideals and make it hard to properly re-align the wheels to the car/road. I’ve seen VWR also do some adjustable drop links, are these required/reccomended for “proper” installation of their shocks and springs? As they sell both of these components, I imagine they might be designed to work together?

Do any other considerations to be made for other suspension components to ensure an optimal setup in this situation?

Thanks!

I recently created a post about this myself, should hopefully be help for you. I have all the parts but 2 weeks till they get fitted  :drool: there are part numbers for bolts, top mounts etc on there as well  :smiley:
Although I haven't gone for the VWR kit i heard it's got great feedback.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113824.0.html

Molesy :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 679
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 03:45:02 pm »
You can fit OEM top mounts and top bearings. AFAIK the rear top mounts are sturdy enough so you most likely won't need to replace them. I went for the TTRS/RS3 front top mounts. They are a bit softer so they compensate a bit the firmness of the ride. At the time I thought they were stronger. :laugh:

I think it's the other way round.  With the VWR kit, tew GTI top mounts from VW made very loud 'squelching' noises over speed humps and other large damper piston movements.  The metal part of the rubber mount the damper bolts to moves too much and it's the rubbing noise we can hear.

The TT/RS3 mounts are firmer to stop the metal bit moving so much.  I went with TT ones with the Ohlins (Way stiffer than VWR) and the noise went.

It's a well documented problem by 034 Motorsport.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 04:01:06 pm »

I think it's the other way round.  With the VWR kit, tew GTI top mounts from VW made very loud 'squelching' noises over speed humps and other large damper piston movements.  The metal part of the rubber mount the damper bolts to moves too much and it's the rubbing noise we can hear.

The TT/RS3 mounts are firmer to stop the metal bit moving so much.  I went with TT ones with the Ohlins (Way stiffer than VWR) and the noise went.

It's a well documented problem by 034 Motorsport.

I just went from what I saw on the 034 Motorsport video. They tested the firmness of the rubber of the GTI top mounts, the TTRS/TT/RS3 top mounts and their own top mounts. I didn't know that the TTRS/TT/RS3 top mounts were firmer to stop the movement of the metal bit. Glad I went for those top mounts on my Ed. 30.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 04:27:50 pm »
Yeah the Audis have stiffer dampers than the GTI, so the middle part of the rubber mounted needs to be stiffer as well.  I would be very surprised if it's softer!

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 06:52:21 pm »
I recently replaced my suspension with the VWR springs and new OEM shocks. I'd definitely recommend replacing the front top mounts and bearings, I used OEM parts, if you're doing the work yourself this means you can build the strut and spring assembly up before hand saving time. I also replaced the rear top mounts though this probably wasn't necessary as the old ones seemed fine (I was on 126k) but again it saves time to get them built up before hand. Also the front strut top nut on the drivers side was seized solid so I would have really struggled to re-use the top mount. I think all of the fixings are one time use only and the cost to replace them really adds up so don't underestimate the cost of that. Good luck.

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 07:33:15 pm »
Thanks for the responses all. I’m going to make a note of all the part numbers given on the other thread to keep handy for when I get round to this.

Most of what has been mentioned relates to the main mechanical components. When tackling something like this, how do you asses and replace the bushes? Presumably all bushes relates to the struts and springs should be replace automatically, but how about others? Also, I’m a bit unsure on the terminology of some of the suspension parts. Anyone know of a decent graphic for our car which might let me be sure about what is connected to what?

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current:
Previous:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 10:57:48 am »
Octoparrot raises a good point about the stretch bolts.   I reckon I've spent £200 easily just on bolts from trying a couple of suspension kits and fitting the TyrolSport kit etc.   The sundries really add up.

f00glee - the front is really easy.  The console bushes and top mounts are the only perishables that need to be replaced.   The rear multi-link setup is bush central.....but generally are fine unless you can hear knocking.   They are also levered on at MOTs, so unless you've got advisories......don't worry about any of it.

Have a look on SuperPro or PowerFlex's site.   They have diagrams of all the bushes on the car if you want to study them.