Make a donation

Author Topic: Car feels bogged down once warmed up  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Car feels bogged down once warmed up
« on: November 01, 2017, 07:54:04 pm »
Wondering if its just me but when I have been driving around after about 10mins or so, it feels like the car does not seem to rev or accelerate as freely as it does on start up. Almost as if the turbo begins to lag or the throttle requires more gas to respond, making the car feel heavy (at first I thought this was down to my sticking rear calipers but these have now been replaced)
There are no warning lights or weird noises and I have done all the routine checks ie Oil, tyre pressures ect and this is using Shell V-power.
Is this something that sounds about right for the AXX or will I need to delve further, unfortunately I do not yet own VagCom software.

Seems rather strange as it does not feel like this all the time and when its ok the car feels pretty sprightly and pulls pretty well. I understand the MK5 produces maximum torque at 1500 but this does not feel like the case. It seems more noticeable in first and second gear or downshifting. Sometimes pulling away from lights feels like it's more of an effort. Would there be anything mechanical and non engine related that could do this?

Where would be the best places to start looking otherwise ?
Thanks for any help
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:00:25 pm by Ads22 »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: Car feels bogged down once warmed up
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:36:12 am »
Assuming all the usual PCV, DV, MAF, coils etc checks pass.........check the cam sensor for swarf.  Common problem on these engines.  It lives adjacent to the cambelt cover, with it's plug facing down.  Can't miss it.

If it has a silver coloured beard on it, clean it off, pull the battery and see how it runs then.  Although tbh, if you're going to the trouble of removing it for inspection, you may as well just replace it.  Only £35ish from the dealer.

I suspect your ECU is running the 'Rough Running' map, which is not limp mode, and neither is it optimum.  There is no fault code for the cam sensor, and therefore no EML.....unless it's disconnected or completely dead.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 06:50:49 pm »
Assuming all the usual PCV, DV, MAF, coils etc checks pass.........check the cam sensor for swarf.  Common problem on these engines.  It lives adjacent to the cambelt cover, with it's plug facing down.  Can't miss it.

If it has a silver coloured beard on it, clean it off, pull the battery and see how it runs then.  Although tbh, if you're going to the trouble of removing it for inspection, you may as well just replace it.  Only £35ish from the dealer.

I suspect your ECU is running the 'Rough Running' map, which is not limp mode, and neither is it optimum.  There is no fault code for the cam sensor, and therefore no EML.....unless it's disconnected or completely dead.

Thanks @Pudding. Ill try and have a look at it to rule it out at least. Just seens strange that this is intermittent. Would Cam Sensor do that?

My worry was that its turbo on its way out or my flywheel. Im little twitchy its going to be something expensive after i had to replace the 2 camshafts, hpfp, chain and cambelt after my cam follower went. I would imagine any potential damage related to that would have been sorted after those repairs.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 07:51:03 pm »

Thanks @Pudding. Ill try and have a look at it to rule it out at least. Just seens strange that this is intermittent. Would Cam Sensor do that?

My worry was that its turbo on its way out or my flywheel. Im little twitchy its going to be something expensive after i had to replace the 2 camshafts, hpfp, chain and cambelt after my cam follower went. I would imagine any potential damage related to that would have been sorted after those repairs.

Yeah if it drives really well a couple of days, and then not as responsive for a few days, that does sound like cam sensor issues.  The build up of swarf dilutes the signal to the ECU and then it just runs the rough running map.   As you've had a cam follower meltdown, there's a high chance the sensor is covered in metal dust.

If the turbo was dead it would be utterly gutless at ALL rpms.  When the DMF goes, you are greeted with horrible rattling and grumbling noises at idle, which go when you press the clutch in.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 04:18:01 pm »
I managed to check the pcv valve today abd that looks fine ruling that out. I tried unscrwing the cam sensor but seems quite fiddly to get to....what would be a good tool to remove? I cant seem to get the angle right. Another observation today i found the CV boot is leaking slightly on the drivers side....not sure if that would contribute in any way?

Offline ryan-g-91

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110534.0.html
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 09:27:58 am »
My AXX had been pretty crap recently too. Same issues to yourself, feels really heavy as well.
I also thought it was sticking calipers but doesn't seem to be the case. Have had the recall for coilpacks etc and don't seem to have any misfires or fuel related problems either...
I need to check the cam sensor as stated above as I have no codes coming up at all which is a pain!
I also have a leaking driver side boot which I had recently wondered could it be slowing the car up as steering is quite heavy at times too

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 05:09:49 pm »
My AXX had been pretty crap recently too. Same issues to yourself, feels really heavy as well.
I also thought it was sticking calipers but doesn't seem to be the case. Have had the recall for coilpacks etc and don't seem to have any misfires or fuel related problems either...
I need to check the cam sensor as stated above as I have no codes coming up at all which is a pain!
I also have a leaking driver side boot which I had recently wondered could it be slowing the car up as steering is quite heavy at times too

@ryan-g-91 Does your temp gauge also fluctuate as well? Mine occasionally jumps between 70 and 90? Someone once advised that because the car may not be getting up to optimum temperature it may not be hitting full boost. I find mines intermittent and runs better on 99ron as it it should do. Its not terrible but just some days it is better than others.

Offline ryan-g-91

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110534.0.html
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 05:25:51 pm »
@Ads22 no my temperature always gets to 90 and stays there and is making boost 100% as it should.
Just feels really heavy and really held back even though it's making near 20psi of boost...clutch doesn't seem to be slipping either.
Your temp issue sounds more like the thermostat have you changed it?

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 06:13:16 pm »
@Ads22 no my temperature always gets to 90 and stays there and is making boost 100% as it should.
Just feels really heavy and really held back even though it's making near 20psi of boost...clutch doesn't seem to be slipping either.
Your temp issue sounds more like the thermostat have you changed it?

@ryan-g-91 Not yet no, not sure if its the thermostat or just temp sensor. Mine feels as if it is making full boost too and no clutch slipping my end however it just seems slightly bogged from standstill somehow. I wonder if its the traction control intervening somehow   - ive heard it can be quite intrusive on Golfs.

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 10:33:23 pm »
After experiencing this for a while and ruling various parts out including MAF, CAM Sensor, PCV and Diverter valve (Was replaced in 2006 by previous owner so that ones a guess) I going to take the plunge and replace the thermostat. There also doesn't seem to be any whistling noises or rough idling so Id imagine boost leak is unlikely. Sometimes boost feels clean and sometimes it feels lumpy.
Bearing in mind I have no fault codes - how would i determine its definitely the Thermostat and not the sensor. The temp occasionally drops between 75 and 90.

Yeah if it drives really well a couple of days, and then not as responsive for a few days, that does sound like cam sensor issues.  The build up of swarf dilutes the signal to the ECU and then it just runs the rough running map.   As you've had a cam follower meltdown, there's a high chance the sensor is covered in metal dust.

If the turbo was dead it would be utterly gutless at ALL rpms.  When the DMF goes, you are greeted with horrible rattling and grumbling noises at idle, which go when you press the clutch in.

I also managed to remove the cam sensor - no sign of any swarf or dust but a slight bit of oily dirt was present and i just wiped it away.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 10:41:23 pm by Ads22 »