Make a donation

Author Topic: P0171 Fault code  (Read 3551 times)

Offline GTI_Kyle

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
P0171 Fault code
« on: November 01, 2017, 12:07:52 pm »
P0171 Bank 1 system too lean has thrown the EML on my Cupra. I've recently had a custom manifold & pcv delete removed & stock pcv, manifold put on with the rfd, I also had an S3 alloy end intercooler fitted at same time.

I'm presuming my map needs tweaking hence throwing up the code?

The car now has a certain flat spot when coming on boost, however I am booked into Rtech for next Tuesday  :party:

Any opinions on this? They were no codes prior to the work being done

Stage 2 Graphite Blue DSG GTi - Too many mods to list...

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
Re: P0171 Fault code
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 12:11:47 pm »
Need to do some logging.  The ECU will be trying to combat the lean condition by bumping up the short term lambda trims, so have a look at that channel to see what the numbers are.  Wild adjustments of +15% or more is definitely a lean issue off idle.  It's called 'Lambda regulator' in the VCDS measuring blocks.   Also block 032 is useful to know, which is the long term trims.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline GTI_Kyle

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 12:17:13 pm »
I haven't got Vagcom unfortunately mate only Carista, I'm going to get in touch with rtech see if it'll be a problem or if its normal until mapped in

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 01:45:11 pm »
VCDS should be the first thing folk buy with a VAG car.......especially when modifying it  :smiley:

So you're saying you've put the standard intake manifold (with no tumble flaps) and PCV system back on, and since then, it's throwing the code?

What's happening is when you crack the throttle open, it's going too lean.   Normally that's caused by an air leak.   What brand of RFD did you use?  Some of them are crap and allow a leak across the cylinders.

I think you need to go over the recent changes and check for leaks.  R Tech (or any mapper) can't fix hardware faults with software unfortunately.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline GTI_Kyle

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 02:07:22 pm »
Yes that's correct, the custom manifold etc were mapped in originally, and since the stock parts have been fitted its thrown the code up. They were no codes prior to this hence thinking its a software problem, but will double check for leaks also.

I used creation motorsports delete kit, was fine on my Gti  :thinking: