Make a donation

Author Topic: Remote Start Options?  (Read 4040 times)

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
Remote Start Options?
« on: November 06, 2017, 08:28:41 am »
Hey Guys

Does anyone have a remote Start installed? If so; approx cost? Had a search but most posts are years old.

I know some alarms (e.g. Viper) have a remote Start add-on, but I think you're looking at £800 ish for the alarm plus smart remote start (from an app).

Would be interested to know what other options there are...to get those heated buckets fired up, car nice and warm, and the windows cleared!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 679
Re: Remote Start Options?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 09:42:12 am »
I would check the small print of your insurance policy before going any further with this.  A running vehicle left unattended makes them very nervous.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 11:46:14 am »
I would check the small print of your insurance policy before going any further with this.  A running vehicle left unattended makes them very nervous.

Good point well made.

Hopefully if it's an add-on to a cat1 alarm they'll be ok with it (car still locked, and I don't think you can drive away without a key), but definitely worth checking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 12:22:15 pm »
You would need to have the standard immobiliser removed from the cars ECU in order for the car to fire up in the morning - My cousin fitted his old Clifford remote start alarm to his Mk4 Golf PD150 and I had to 'de-immo' the ECU in order for the remote start to work.

As mentioned, it is actually an offence to leave a running vehicle unattended, regardless of whether the car is locked or the keys are in the ignition. Just a thought
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 12:36:35 pm »

As mentioned, it is actually an offence to leave a running vehicle unattended, regardless of whether the car is locked or the keys are in the ignition. Just a thought

Mmmm, curious.....
What kind of offence?
Presumably woukd have to be on a highway?

I often do this, but live at the end of a track in the middle of nowhere!  :signLOL:

Offline Cadders96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 01:42:58 pm »
If it was on a driveway of sorts it wouldn't be an offence, it would be if you were parked up on a street somewhere.

VW Golf GTI Mk5 3 door
18" Monzas
Tinted Windows
Powervalve WRC Sports Cat-Back Exhaust with Decat Downpie 3" (Ebay Special)
Climair Wind Deflectors
HID Foglights
GFB DV+
Pre-Cat Delete

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 01:59:26 pm »
I have the Clifford G5 Concept 650 and I could have had the remote start add on for an extra €100 or something but I chose not to.

It's a bit of a waste of petrol and kind of a gimmick.

You would need the foresight to leave your heated seats on and it would also fire the car up right away and not wait the second or two on prime for the lights to go off.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 679
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 02:30:46 pm »
Googled the offence and according to the Highway Code, it is indeed illegal to leave a car running because of noise pollution and emissions reasons, except for diagnostics purposes. 

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D