Make a donation

Author Topic: Both thermostats changed. Car still taking years to warm up.  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Dave_d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 5
Both thermostats changed. Car still taking years to warm up.
« on: November 13, 2017, 06:02:29 am »
HI guys. I had my 07 gti thermostats replaced last week. Inline and main. It’s still taking far too long to warm up. My 11 mile journey to work this morning the heaters are still only like warm. It seemed to warm up ever so slightly quicker last week but it wasn’t as cold. What’s going on? My mpg is down about 1/3 too. Used to get around 35mpg. Now get around 25  :thinking: :scared:

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
Re: Both thermostats changed. Car still taking years to warm up.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 07:59:46 am »
You already posted this and your questions have been answered for the most part.

Try not to put too many new threads up on the same subject if you can  :happy2:

Q1 - Is yours a DSG? If so, there may be an additional inline thermostat
Q2 - Is it cold where you are? MPG drops substantially. Mine goes from 40mpg in Summer to 30mpg in Winter on the same road.
Q3 - Are you turning your heaters on before the dial reaches 90? Don't. Let it get to 90 and then turn them on otherwise it will take longer

Offline Dave_d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 08:36:14 am »
My apologies.

To answer your questions.

1- yes it’s a dsg. It’s a 2007 gti. It has an inline and main according to vw using my vin number

2- yes it’s -1, my car seems to drive as if the choke is still on i believe.  if that makes sense

3- I drove for approximately 6 miles with no heating on at all. Not even switched on.
A car should not take so long to warm up surely. It’ll be undrivable in the winter at this rate because it can’t warm up quick enough. I’d have to leave it ticking over for 30 minutes to defrost

Offline Dave_d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 09:24:08 am »
I Have access to vcds, anything I could log?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 09:30:34 am »
Are you saying it takes ages for the temp gauge to get to 90, or ages to feel warm inside the cabin?

I think the first step is establish how long your engine takes to get to operating temp with a scan tool, and then tackle the poor heating afterwards. 

If your 11 mile journey is stop start traffic, it will take ages to heat up.  If it's mostly open roads where you can give it some throttle, it will warm up far quicker.

How long have you had your car?   I've had HVAC equipped and no HVAC Golfs and the latter feel like a furnace after a few miles.  My GTI and R32 have never felt particularly hot to me, ever.  My missus's MK4 1.6 I can drive in winter with the window down and the sunroof open and it still feels like a sauna inside!!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 09:32:17 am »
I'm not surprised its taking a long time to heat up of its -1 outside.... Especially if you are driving gently and cruising..... If you want to generate heat, get the engine working harder with some boost and hard driving, it soon warms up.

FYI with mine, if its around freezing outside my heaters do not get hot hot until I've done some spirited driving with the car. If you drive gently and are aiming for economic driving they will not get as hot as you are expecting with the ambient temperature you have
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Dave_d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 09:44:18 am »
Thank for your replies, I’d like to point out I don’t drive like miss daisy, but I don’t abuse her when cold. I like to get up to speed if that makes sense. It seems to do both pudding ( ages to get warm and warm inside cabin), I’ve had the car since April. Maybe I’ve been spoilt as my previous car was an e class Mercedes with electric secondary heater. None the less the car should surely hear up quicker  :thinking:

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 09:48:09 am »
Cannot compare to a car with an an electric water heater. You could always try retrofitting one or changing vehicles if its too much of an issue as I strongly suspect there is no underlying fault
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales