Make a donation

Author Topic: Low Oil Pressure Warning / Engine rattling/Car not starting/Battery slowly dying  (Read 23468 times)

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Car broke down today died on road. Two days ago was flagging oil pressure stop.
engine. I drove it two days like this and yesterday the engine was rattling sounding like a diesel. The car stopped rattling for 2mins and the engine cut out and would not tick over since. Key turns but not ticking over. Sounds like my engine is now fooked. The recovery did a basic scan which said: ‘Camshaft position timing over’

I think it’s the cam chain or tensioner where tensioner is now completely broke. Spoke to a mechanic who advised not to spend a penny fixing as valves are most likely damaged and further down inside the engine. Not worth repairing.

Will the symptoms persist with noise if the cam chain and tensioner  is changed or will I be better of getting a refurbished engine fitted now?

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 07:34:00 pm by GTi-Tecnix »
Rapid Acceleration on a Slippery surface
Sounds like a MK5 GTI 💥👊🏽💯

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Car not starting
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 10:12:57 pm »
Car broke down today died on road. Two days ago was flagging oil pressure stop engine warning ⚠️ I drove it two days like this and yesterday the engine was rattling sounding like a diesel. The car stopped rattling for 2mins and the engine cut out and would not tick over since. Key turns but not ticking over. Sounds like my engine is now fooked. The recovery did a basic scan which said: ‘Camshaft position timing over’
P0011 OBD-II Trouble Code: Camshaft Position A - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)

What the P0011 code means

P0011 is the OBD-II generic code indicating the engine control module (ECM) has determined that the bank 1 intake camshaft is more advanced than what the ECM has commanded it be. This over-advanced condition could be during advancing or retarding of the camshaft timing.

What causes the P0011 code?

The camshaft and crankshaft sensors have indicated the camshaft is more advanced than the ECM has commanded it to advance.

The camshaft is too advanced when the ECM has commanded the camshaft to retard to a lower timing level.

The oil control solenoid to the bank 1 camshaft may be stuck or have clogged passages.

The oil is too thick causing the passages to become clogged due to lack of oil flow to and from the camshaft phasers.

The camshaft phasers are stuck in the advanced position.

What are the symptoms of the P0011 code?

The ECM will turn on the Check Engine Light and command the camshaft to go to its normal starting position if possible.

The engine may have a hard start condition if the cam is stuck in a too far advanced or retarded timing position.

The engine will have a reduction in fuel mileage due to the camshafts not being in their optimal positions to get the best fuel mileage.

The engine may run rough, hesitate, or stall depending on camshaft positions.

The engine emissions may exceed federal levels and fail an emissions test.

Note: The symptoms may change depending on the camshaft timing positions when the camshaft stopped advancing or retarding.

I think it’s the cam-chain or tensioner where tensioner is now completely broke. Spoke to a mechanic who advised not to spend a penny fixing as valves are most likely damaged and further down inside the engine. Not worth repairing.

Will the symptoms persist with noise if the cam chain and tensioner  is changed or will I be better of getting a refurbished engine fitted now?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 10:18:40 pm by GTi-Tecnix »

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 10:51:12 pm »
Its broke... FYI the clue was the great big warning telling you to stop running the engine as there was no oil pressure. Driving it for 2 days with no oil pressure?  :signLOL: What did you think would happen? The engine is finished - look for another!
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 10:54:33 pm »
Its broke... FYI the clue was the great big warning telling you to stop running the engine as there was no oil pressure. Driving it for 2 days with no oil pressure?  :signLOL: What did you think would happen? The engine is finished - look for another!
yup I get that now. I took a big gamble ! And I guess you take some risks. Looking now for a new refurbished AXX engine.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=mh06m0gms672r9it22gu4go1n9&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 10:55:16 pm »
 :doh:

Probably that dodgy quantum map bro

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 11:36:02 pm »
Why people don't understand the big RED TURN THE BLOODY CAR OFF AND GET IT SEEN TOO SIGN :doh:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:37:55 pm by r5gtt »

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 11:46:24 pm »
Why people don't understand the big RED TURN THE BLOODY CAR OFF AND GET IT SEEN TOO SIGN :doh:
haha.. you’ve said this a few times I’ve noticed. But I just couldn’t resist. With that sign on dash I was able to drive 60miles home. But is wasn’t until next day I thrashed it completely which I shouldn’t have. But I read somewhere on here that the damage was probably already done when oil pressure flagged. My car was just about to hit 80,000 Mark. Didn’t even make it urggh. That doesn’t put off MK5 GTI car though
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:54:12 pm by GTi-Tecnix »

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 11:49:16 pm »
:doh:

Probably that dodgy quantum map bro
come on bro it was fine.. it was my driving errors that has caused this. The performance felt amazing. Tho for a short retired time. RIP AXX DSG  :phew:

If the engine can’t handle pressure you have to change parts that can resist it but this certainly a learning curve. Hope others will learn from our mistakes of our driving habits and take a leaf from the experience.

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 11:55:48 pm »
Now where that Pudding..  :thinking:

Not for me though I’ll skip on that one

lol  :party:

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 04:33:55 am »
I notice when my car broke down on the road and died, when I had tried to start it again the it sounded like a battery was flat as it wasn’t ticking over very well that wasn’t firing the engine at all. As I awaited for recovery to pick me and my car up from the roadside the battery was dying completely as I waited in the car for 3 Hours. The air bag was flagging as faulty and the ABS light was flashing. The car stereo just kept wistching off and on again on its own. I suspect my battery Islington now dead after over 8 hours of not being driven. Could it Be the battery not starting the car as I was able to start it fine with the car sounding like a black taxi cab engine as if to say it was a Diesel engine. Not trying to optimistic here but only thinking of a very slight possible that I can get it to start and the take it to my
Mates garage to check the oil pressure issue that is flagging on dash!

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
Re: Low Oil pressure warning / Car not starting and Battery slowly dying
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 07:20:50 am »
I cannot be bothered to explain the detail (sorry, not sorry!) but you have done terminal damage to the engine internals if you have driven the car for 60 miles with less than 1 bar of oil pressure coupled with your description in your most recent post - the warning is triggered at around 0.8 BAR from memory which isn't even enough at idle never mind when driving. If you had stopped at the time you probably would have gotten away with a sump clean and/or new oil pump

Look for another engine, its really that simple. Any time/money/labour spent on this one is just wasted
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline mk1mad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 09:47:41 am »
Driving 60 miles with low oil pressure is  stupid  but admitting it on a car forum  :laugh:.

I think a sticky topic should be made to suggest dropping the sump/cleaning pickup as soon as you take ownership of a car.

I recently dropped my sump at 86k and there was hardly anything in the pickup , guess it comes to oil changes and more importantly letting the the turbo cool down before shutting off. 
Edition 30
Golf Mk1 5vT

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 09:56:51 am »
"Enthusiast owned, no expense spared"
Feel for you but then you knew it was coming so....
Happy hunting

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 10:56:11 am »

I have nothing to add buddy, but thanks for thinking of me sweetheart  :love:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 05:44:09 pm »

I have nothing to add buddy, but thanks for thinking of me sweetheart  :love:
I need a new engine fitted is that simple. Any ideas where I can get hold of one?