Make a donation

Author Topic: Low Oil Pressure Warning / Engine rattling/Car not starting/Battery slowly dying  (Read 23483 times)

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Low Oil pressure warning / Car not starting and Battery slowly dying
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 05:45:03 pm »
I was told bottom block is probably damaged but I’m going for a new engine rebuild.
Rapid Acceleration on a Slippery surface
Sounds like a MK5 GTI 💥👊🏽💯

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 06:16:23 pm »
Some people learn from other's mistakes and some from their own...You've learned the hard way that STOP means stop.
Sorry for your loss!

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 06:21:38 pm »
Just checked my calendar... It is Christmas, not April fools day!?!?!

OP ...are you having a laugh?  :stupid:

My teenage daughter once did something comparably stupid, with her car, many years ago...
As far as I know, she never frequented car owners forums tho.

Offline DavGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 07:50:17 pm »
It’s unbelieveable the car even made it 60 miles lol

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Car not starting
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 08:08:13 pm »
Why people don't understand the big RED TURN THE BLOODY CAR OFF AND GET IT SEEN TOO SIGN :doh:
haha.. you’ve said this a few times I’ve noticed. But I just couldn’t resist. With that sign on dash I was able to drive 60miles home. But is wasn’t until next day I thrashed it completely which I shouldn’t have. But I read somewhere on here that the damage was probably already done when oil pressure flagged. My car was just about to hit 80,000 Mark. Didn’t even make it urggh. That doesn’t put off MK5 GTI car though
There you go! You drove it a further 60miles to completely f*** it up when stopping immediately could have saved the engine like pesky but you now need a complete engine NOT rebuild as you assume as your engine will be scrap to work on. You'll find many engines about eBay if not FB and just don't do it again. Good luck

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Car not starting
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2017, 10:18:45 pm »
Why people don't understand the big RED TURN THE BLOODY CAR OFF AND GET IT SEEN TOO SIGN :doh:
haha.. you’ve said this a few times I’ve noticed. But I just couldn’t resist. With that sign on dash I was able to drive 60miles home. But is wasn’t until next day I thrashed it completely which I shouldn’t have. But I read somewhere on here that the damage was probably already done when oil pressure flagged. My car was just about to hit 80,000 Mark. Didn’t even make it urggh. That doesn’t put off MK5 GTI car though
There you go! You drove it a further 60miles to completely f*** it up when stopping immediately could have saved the engine like pesky but you now need a complete engine NOT rebuild as you assume as your engine will be scrap to work on. You'll find many engines about eBay if not FB and just don't do it again. Good luck
Yeah realised pesky had the same problem as me. Just one question, does it need to be an AXX engine. I’m shopping right now. Any supply fitters that are highly recommended?

Atm, car is losing power when turning key, ticking over lights are just going mad on dash and and electric clicking noise.. not firing engine😓

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2017, 10:34:32 pm »
Does it matter if engine is from a manual r a DSG transmission ?

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 06:30:02 am »
No, the transmission doesn’t matter.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2017, 10:09:57 pm »
You can fit other engine codes in no problem.
AKS should be able to do this conversion for you aka Alex Kerr.

Transmission has nothing to do with it so you'll be fine.

Pesky got lucky but as you've driven around and still trying to start it means it's totally buggered so no point wasting your time on thatengine now. Just swap the ancillaries over to next engine.

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2017, 10:15:14 pm »
Two different opinions received as follows:

1st opinion: There was no oil circulating your engine due to the failure of the oil pump. Most likely the knocking noise you heard was the engine's parts rubbing against each other without any.. The cylinder head, camshaft cylinder head and the sump should be Ok. The engine will now not start as no oil feeding engine starved engine while driving with no oil pressure. Damage done to the bottom block of engine.

2nd opinion: Significant damage Has been caused to the cam shaft cylinder head, with additional cam-shaft chain and tensioner damage. Top part of engine needs replacing altogether.

Now from my understanding it could be the cam shaft and the bottom block that have packed up which means the oil pump rods are damaged and/or the oil pick up is clogged up with sutt oil. It could also mean the top end has been caused some significant damage. We won’t jnow for sure what the extent of the damage is until the guys open the engine which is at the garage now for inspection. Will keep you all informed on the feedback  :happy2:

It would seem that the fsi engine on the VW and Audi are same which is disaster oil pressure system in my opinion. The 1.8T conversion is more efficient.

VW will promise you 200bhp but that power is not there to last forever. They are not designed that way at all. Because you’ll soon realise the power of a GTI can only take so much and something will have to give sooner or later which is the problem I have encountered here.

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2017, 10:21:44 pm »
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:25:42 pm by GTi-Tecnix »

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2017, 10:32:18 pm »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2017, 10:33:00 pm »
You're totally wrong there regards vw Gti's although the actual dealer suck!!! The gti or any other car out there will last as long as it's well looked after  :happy2:
It's all about maintenance changing oil and filter on a regular and no one can tell me differently.  :P
I've known peoples cars to die out at 40k 50k and so forth because oil pick pipes getting blocked up!!! My old car was on 100400k when I bought it with no history after 50k but I maintained it regularly and it lasted 155k and still strong when I sold it on with a lot less rattle comparing it to other tt forum members cars who either serviced once a year or later!.

Find out what your tech has to say after stripping but I'm telling you you're throwing money down the pit imo unless this service is FOC
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:34:33 pm by r5gtt »

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2017, 10:41:55 pm »
You're totally wrong there regards vw Gti's although the actual dealer suck!!! The gti or any other car out there will last as long as it's well looked after  :happy2:
It's all about maintenance changing oil and filter on a regular and no one can tell me differently.  :P
I've known peoples cars to die out at 40k 50k and so forth because oil pick pipes getting blocked up!!! My old car was on 100400k when I bought it with no history after 50k but I maintained it regularly and it lasted 155k and still strong when I sold it on with a lot less rattle comparing it to other tt forum members cars who either serviced once a year or later!.

Find out what your tech has to say after stripping but I'm telling you you're throwing money down the pit imo unless this service is FOC

Yes that of course  :happy2: .. good maintainance of any car in general should be a priority. It could also be the quality of oil you are using. I always serviced my car on Tim! Changed the DSG oil at the ‘stealers’. Now I used Quantum oil fully synthetic for engine service recently which is recommended for the VW folk. But is it really recommended on a mapped engine  :thinking:

Now when I say they are not trustworthy in the long run around the 80,000 mark which when the Fsi engine start playing up on oil management system. Mine was at 78,000. The actual speed that the car can handle on the MK5 is questionable in my opinion.

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2017, 10:44:25 pm »

Yes that of course  :happy2: .. good maintainance of any car in general should be a priority. It could also be the quality of oil you are using. I always serviced my car on Tim! Changed the DSG oil at the ‘stealers’. Now I used Quantum oil fully synthetic for engine service recently which is recommended for the VW folk. But is it really recommended on a mapped engine  :thinking:

Now when I say they are not trustworthy in the long run around the 80,000 mark which when the Fsi engine start playing up on oil management system. Mine was at 78,000. The actual speed that the car can handle on the MK5 is questionable in my opinion.
haha.. nothing free of charge I’m afraid pal lol