Make a donation

Author Topic: Edition 30 short shifter?  (Read 4809 times)

Offline hussnainh8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
Edition 30 short shifter?
« on: December 28, 2017, 07:07:38 pm »
Hi,

Has anyone installed a forge short shifter on their edition 30? How does it feel? Is it worth it? I bought a forge 6 speed shifter on ebay and got a £20 discount for a brand new one.. Thought it might be a good mod to do as their are gti mk5's with the same mod and everyone says its worth it? Any experiences with the edition 30?

Here is the one I bought

https://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/Audi_VW_SEAT_and_Skoda_6_Speed_Adjustable_Quick_Shifter--product--989.html

Thanks.

willni

Re: Edition 30 short shifter?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 09:30:34 pm »
Ideally you want the whole gear linkage changed, to fully integrate without problems as I've heard that just a short shifter "can" (no firm evidence) wear out the gearbox synchros, I'm sure someone else will have more a bit more info on this.

Offline hussnainh8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 09:44:37 pm »
Ideally you want the whole gear linkage changed, to fully integrate without problems as I've heard that just a short shifter "can" (no firm evidence) wear out the gearbox synchros, I'm sure someone else will have more a bit more info

I know the previous seller has replaced the bushings and he said it made a difference for him therefore thats why he didnt get the short shifter.. also the  gearbox doesnt skip gears or anything, it is  tight and goes into gears how it should so I doubt the gear linkages need replacing...I however thought I should go the extra mile and get the short shifter to improve the reduction for faster gear changes. Thanks for your reply. I also wanted to ask, who ever has the forge short shifter.. I believe it is adjustable so what have you guys put the adjustment on? The full 40% reduction or in the middle? This is so i can get an idea on how I should keep mine..

Thank You.

Offline hussnainh8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 09:45:27 pm »
 I also wanted to ask, who ever has the forge short shifter.. I believe it is adjustable so what have you guys put the adjustment on? The full 40% reduction or in the middle? This is so i can get an idea on how I should keep mine..

Thank You.

Offline hussnainh8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 09:51:25 pm »
Ideally you want the whole gear linkage changed, to fully integrate without problems as I've heard that just a short shifter "can" (no firm evidence) wear out the gearbox synchros, I'm sure someone else will have more a bit more info on this.

Cant seem to see anyone giving evidence on it wearing the synchros.. https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/do-short-throw-shifters-damage-syncros-1052411/

Did decide to do some research just in case I was buying something to damage the car which I dont want however people are blaming the driver to damage synchros not the short shifter itself.

willni

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 10:12:44 pm »

Cant seem to see anyone giving evidence on it wearing the synchros.. https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/do-short-throw-shifters-damage-syncros-1052411/

Did decide to do some research just in case I was buying something to damage the car which I dont want however people are blaming the driver to damage synchros not the short shifter itself.

I remember seeing it on BMW forums for the 5 series as they replaced the E39 M5 shift linkage with the newer E60 5 series linkage as it had the effect of a short shifter, but without any effects since it was still a whole oem linkage assembly. But of course it could be down solely to user error, although whether they realised they were damaging it or not is another thing.

I'd like a short shifter as well but was put off because of this.

Would be interested to know if anyone has used the TT/S or S3 gear linkage as in theory I've heard it's possible to swap and it gives you the same short shift effect but don't take that as confirmed.

Offline hussnainh8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 10:26:19 pm »

I remember seeing it on BMW forums for the 5 series as they replaced the E39 M5 shift linkage with the newer E60 5 series linkage as it had the effect of a short shifter, but without any effects since it was still a whole oem linkage assembly. But of course it could be down solely to user error, although whether they realised they were damaging it or not is another thing.

I'd like a short shifter as well but was put off because of this.

Would be interested to know if anyone has used the TT/S or S3 gear linkage as in theory I've heard it's possible to swap and it gives you the same short shift effect but don't take that as confirmed.

Ohh true I guess it could be true but when researching about it, it just says "Rumour" so I wouldnt worry. I did think about installing a TT/S3 shifter mechanism as it says it comes with a 12% reduction in gear changes but 12% doesnt seem like much of a difference compared to the standard GTI MK5 shifter. I chose Forge as it is adjustable to your liking and gives a maximum reduction of 40%, also seeing as its £90 brand new, I paid £70 and if I dont like it then at least I can sell it for 70 used so wont loose out on it. Fingers crossed it makes an improvement to the edition 30 as it would be a good mod to have.. I hope there is someone out there who has installed a short shifter on the edition 30 so I can stop worrying about if it is worth doing or not :( Somebody shine some light please  :jumping:

Thanks.

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 12:35:52 am »
The edition 30 has the same gearbox as the regular GTI.

Offline hussnainh8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 12:52:26 am »
The edition 30 has the same gearbox as the regular GTI.

That clears something up for me! Now I can just find reviews for the regular GTI and know it will be the same for the edition 30 too :)

Thanks!

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 07:24:25 am »
I have had both Forge and S3, prefer the latter.  The Forge at maximum throw reduction felt heavy (as you might expect given the lower leverage) and mechanical. It seemed to want to shift faster than the box itself was comfortable with and this might be where the ‘wearing the synchros’ comment may come from.

Whilst the throw reduction of the S3 is modest, it feels quick and positive in combination with darkside solid bushings and fresh OEM gear oil whilst keeping decent refinement. I can imagine it will shift better with upgraded engine mounts and the restrictive oem clutch bleeder block removed.

Offline hussnainh8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 11:58:36 am »
I have had both Forge and S3, prefer the latter.  The Forge at maximum throw reduction felt heavy (as you might expect given the lower leverage) and mechanical. It seemed to want to shift faster than the box itself was comfortable with and this might be where the ‘wearing the synchros’ comment may come from.

Whilst the throw reduction of the S3 is modest, it feels quick and positive in combination with darkside solid bushings and fresh OEM gear oil whilst keeping decent refinement. I can imagine it will shift better with upgraded engine mounts and the restrictive oem clutch bleeder block removed.

I have gone and bought the forge one now so will have to give it a go, I am planning too only keep it at 3/4 reduction so around 30%.. does say it will prevent it being too notchy. Also did you align your gears as that could have been the problem? If its not good, I will try and sell it and then go for the s3 one.. fingers crossed as im worried about it

Thanks.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 03:13:08 pm »

That is exactly the problem.  These gearboxes hate being rushed unfortunately but as you say, things can be improved by deleting the clutch delay valve and the restrictor in the bleed Tee.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline hussnainh8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 11:12:25 pm »

That is exactly the problem.  These gearboxes hate being rushed unfortunately but as you say, things can be improved by deleting the clutch delay valve and the restrictor in the bleed Tee.

I only just yestarday put the forge short shifter on and what a world of difference it made! Its as if I am behind the wheel of a completely different car.. the gear shifter has become a lot more firm and when putting it into gear, you know its in gear, everything has tightened up now and no more sloppy gear changes. The old short shifter that was in the car was a genuine VW part so im guessing it is not the same as the s3 one but with the forge it has the adjustable pin and at first I tried the full 40% throw reduction but that completely changes the shifter and its as if its being forced into gears therefore i removed it again and adjusted the pin 3/4 and it seems perfect. I literally only have to move it 2cm and it slides into gear itself.. great mod honestly. I also saw the cables and noticed that it has the cable shifter bushings installed as well.

I did however in the past get a small grind in the cold weather when trying to shift into 2nd gear and now that the short shifter is installed, i can notice the grind/resistance a lot more.. Do you guys reckon it could do with a transmission fluid change?? The grind/resistance is only there when its cold outside.. after 3-4minutes of driving it disappears. Yestarday I got home and swapped the short shifters around and took it for a drive and there was no grinding but thats only because the edition 30 was warmed up? Do you guys also get the same grind/resistance when trying to go into 2nd gear in this weather in the cold?? Im not sure when the fluid was changed so thats why i am thinking of replacing fluid. Also it is definately not the forge short shifter causing any problems because the issue started as soon as it winter season kicked in.. the short shifter is just making it a lot more noticeable compared to before. Are all edition 30's like this??

Sorry for long post guys.

Thanks.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 07:28:15 am »
My car has always had a slight grind / resistance into second when cold, even when new, and it seems an innate issue with this gearbox. Some fresh oil won't hurt though make sure you get the proper OEM one like Darkside sell as it gives the best gear change. Better than Millers NT which replaced the treacle like gear oil the car was originally supplied with.

Offline hussnainh8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 08:07:52 am »
My car has always had a slight grind / resistance into second when cold, even when new, and it seems an innate issue with this gearbox. Some fresh oil won't hurt though make sure you get the proper OEM one like Darkside sell as it gives the best gear change. Better than Millers NT which replaced the treacle like gear oil the car was originally supplied with.

I will definately get that done, I did just now drive the car again and for some reason it didnt want to go into reverse, I had to try 2-3 times to get it in and eventually it went in but since then I have tried reversing over 15 times now and it hasnt got stuck again? Dont know what that was about? I then tried going from neutral to 3rd and it seems as if the gear shifter moves slightly to the right ones it is in 3rd so maybe I need to re adjust the cables again.. When moving the shifter slightly to the left then up into 3rd it seems more smooth than it going straight up so I think the alignment needs to be checked again which I shall do today and then oil on tuesday as VW are closed on monday. I am just not sure if I should fiddle with the up down cable or the left right cable or both?

Thanks.