Make a donation

Author Topic: Stage 2+ MK5 GTI vs KO4 Conversion Stage 1  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Sam_786

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Stage 2+ MK5 GTI vs KO4 Conversion Stage 1
« on: October 25, 2021, 10:18:43 am »
Hi all,

I’m looking to go straight to stage 2+ on my MK5 GTI and I’m looking to achieve a minimum BHP of 270. Being new to the MK5 scene I’ve done some research to the point where my online basket is primed and ready however before letting go of my money I’d like to know from you better informed folk as to whether I’m making the right decision or not. The parts I am considering fitting to my MK5 GTI 06 are:

Revo Air Induction Kit
Nissens Intercooler (Aluminium, 1K0.145.803 P)
Auto tech HPFP
Full exhaust system (Not made my mind up yet as to what I need)
Sports Cat

I will be doing all the handling mods as soon as I have the car remapped and ready. My intentions with the car are that it will act as a daily but also provide the fun and excitement of a car triple it’s price. Hence why I am trying to strike a balance between cost and effectiveness and therefore toying with the idea of having a KO4 instead and getting it stage 1 remapped.  In an ideal world I would be looking to spend under £1200 for all the mods.

Let me know if that’s achievable and how please!

Many thanks.

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=l33a075o3ta2aflu15o28i2mch&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: Stage 2+ MK5 GTI vs KO4 Conversion Stage 1
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 10:30:13 am »
Check out r techs guidance on ko3 tuning and hardware: http://r-techperformance.co.uk/vw-golf-mk5-gti-tfsi-200-remap/ they don't recommend going over board on hardware and specify best exhaust systems etc.

I'm planning a r tech stage 1 with intake and pre cat delete in Jan. I like the idea of 2+ as gets you more top end than typical with the ko3 but not sure how relative this is to a stage 1 ko4. My personal preference is top end over big bhp, but if you go ko4 now though you still have the opportunity to go even further with power if you want later down the road.

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 02:16:51 pm »
K04 pulls a LOT harder at the top end.

£1200 won't cover that conversion cost, not to do it properly at least.

Just get a stage 1 remap and see how you get on with that.  All of the stock hardware on the GTI can support 300hp, so no point wasting money on unnecessary stuff that doesn't bring much to the party, especially on the K03 where even a vanilla 250-260 remap is pushing the turbo close to it's limit anyway.  The only hardware I would change is the intercooler and fuel pump internals to prop up the midrange, but VIS over Autotech.  Just get a used 6R/S3 off ebay and get it pressure checked.

Pre-cat delete is free if you do it yourself.  Software around £400, VIS around £300, used intercooler around £100ish.  Well under your £1200 budget.

People are always in denial about the cost vs goals, but keep your feet on the ground and weigh up what software alone can deliver vs throwing all the bolt-ons on top.  Is the extra 10-15% worth the disproportion hike in overall cost?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 02:19:45 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Sam_786

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 03:08:47 pm »
Hi Pudding,

Funnily enough it was one of your posts that swayed me and I’ve done exactly what you have recommended!

I’ve got my car booked in tommorow for a Revo Stage 1 and DSG Stage 1 remap with the SBS as well. Just as you’ve mentioned I’ve got VIS HPFP internals, S3 Intercooler and Revo intake (still not decided)  lined up to purchase in the coming weeks.

I’ll be updating either this post or a separate post with my progress but it appears so far so good. Thanks for taking the time  :happy2:

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 12:14:14 pm »
Nice one, you will certainly notice and enjoy the changes  :happy2:

I tend to steer newbies away from going all out with the mods, especially if they've only recently bought the car.  Mainly because I was underwhelmed with Stage 2+ vs Stage 1 on my own car, and I don't like to see people wasting their money.  Life is expensive enough as it is!

Stage 1 is a huge change over standard, and that's with changing absolutely nothing except the map.

Stage 1+ I guess you could call it, would be the intercooler and pump internals, just to keep the midrange punch consistent all year round.

Stage 2 and Stage 2+ give comparatively much smaller gains vs Standard to Stage 1, but the real kicker is it costs a sh1t load in hardware to run Stage 2+.  And Stage 2+ increases the noise levels significantly because of the bigger exhaust and intake, which is something that can get on your nerves if the car is a daily.

I dropped back down to Stage 1 Revo on my ED30, and even on mild boost (Level 6 of 9 in the boost settings) the traction control light flickers in 4th gear on a damp road.  Everything standard, even down to the paper air filter.  Stage 2+ pretty much did the same but didn't feel that much quicker, and just made a whole lot of annoying noises to go with it.

As you're getting a Revo tune, I highly recommend you pick up an SPS switch to go with it.  You will need that to restore the performance map if you ever disconnect the battery, and you can also adjust the tuning yourself with it.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 12:41:01 pm »
I've fitted all of the hardware for stage 2+ over the last 2 years. I need the mapping done next.

My thinking with stage 2+ is that this golf will most likely be my last ICE car, the next will at least be hybrid, maybe full electric, and I want plenty of noise and power from this car before buying a milk float.

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 10:25:18 am »
I'm of the same mindset.  I'm getting bored of 1000s of parts having to be in perfect harmony to get the power delivery you want, reliably and consistently.
My last ICE will be something 4WD and DSG, so will probably end up being a TTRS as it's also the best handling VAG car below the R8.  That car will also fit in well with my midlife crisis, so will have to purchase some deck shoes, chinos and a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt to go with it.

Offline Hypertuned

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 10:30:03 am »
I'm of the same mindset.  I'm getting bored of 1000s of parts having to be in perfect harmony to get the power delivery you want, reliably and consistently.
My last ICE will be something 4WD and DSG, so will probably end up being a TTRS as it's also the best handling VAG car below the R8.  That car will also fit in well with my midlife crisis, so will have to purchase some deck shoes, chinos and a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt to go with it.
Lol...sounds perfect

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 10:32:25 am »
Oh and a lemon or pale blue pullover draped over my shoulders  :grin: