Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone running Michelin PS3's?  (Read 13472 times)

Offline holepunch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: Anyone running Michelin PS3's?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 10:34:10 am »
I think it depends on the Costco store, the one in Bristol would not order them in, they have a massive surplus of PS2 to use up.

I was planning on paying them a visit this weekend, would they budge on price condiering they have got so many PS2's in stock?

Offline VeeDubDan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 12:47:12 pm »
This may be of assistance on those with experience of PS2s.  Not massively different in milage but wet weather performance is much better apparently.

Offline robern2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 01:39:54 pm »
Nope, they wont budge on price either.
ProTyre has the PS3 in stock for a near identical price

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 01:57:27 pm »
I love the vredesteins aswell.

I must admit my front are have worn already, but i havent exactly been driving like Miss daisy since getting Stage 1 Bluefin TBH.

The way i look at it, if they were out faster on a asym tread pattern, then the Compound must be quite soft and give better traction then say a longer lasting harder compound tyre.
I love the grip, and my traction control system doesnt kick in as much as it used to with the Dunlop Sportmax's.

I think as you say , the side wall tread design is good, and looks very sweet in comparrison to the Ps2/3's.

Im keeping to Vred's next time out.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 01:59:07 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 08:27:50 pm »
I've been running the PS3's on the front of my MK5 GTI (18") for a couple of weeks now. I previously had the PS2's fitted.

The PS3's are a BIG improvement. The wet weather grip is incredible. Due to the weather, I have been unable to fully test the dry capabilities.

I paid £142 a corner for the PS3's, which strangely was the same as the price they were doing on the PS2's!

Btw, I am new here as i've been over on the 'other' forum.

Costco have a deal on at the moment, by invitation only until 14th Feb (still trying to get in on it) 20% off purchase of 2 tyres (normally they do 20% off purchase of 4 tyres) £118 per tyre fitted  :wink:

I was quoted same price for PS3's as PS2's for the Audi (but they had to order them in) some talk but not confirmed as yet that the 20% off 4 tyres may start after the 15th Feb

Ok guys & girls just ordered four new tyres :surprised: (235X40X18) PS3's for the A4 £141each (£565) all fitted (thats with the 20% discount) same price as PS2's. (23k out of the old PS2 :rolleye:)

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline J5BWS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 4
  • I love my Golf me!
    • Anon Studio Limited
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 08:34:02 pm »
I've just ordered a set too for my new alloys, they're getting fitted tomorrow, although I paid a bit more, well I will in 30 days when the account is due anyway!  :happy2:

Offline J5BWS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • I love my Golf me!
    • Anon Studio Limited
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 05:07:33 pm »
Got mine fitted an hour ago, too early to give feedback cos I had to drive through wet rush hour traffic but will update when I've had chance to see what the sticky fellas are like!...

Offline J5BWS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • I love my Golf me!
    • Anon Studio Limited
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2010, 04:48:56 pm »

As I mentioned yesterday got them on, got the car washed this morning and have had a bit of a drive about.

First impressions are very good, the grip in the wet seems excellent although I haven't pressed on yet.

One thing that has surprised me is that I went up an inch from the standard 17's to the 18" Detroits in the above pic, the ride quality actually improved quite a lot, and this can only be down to the tyres.  Well impressed! :)

Offline danishmkvgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 05:10:17 pm »

As I mentioned yesterday got them on, got the car washed this morning and have had a bit of a drive about.

First impressions are very good, the grip in the wet seems excellent although I haven't pressed on yet.

One thing that has surprised me is that I went up an inch from the standard 17's to the 18" Detroits in the above pic, the ride quality actually improved quite a lot, and this can only be down to the tyres.  Well impressed! :)

actually i have 225/45-17 wintertyres on goodyear wintersomething, and when i tried my new summer tires 225/35-19 the ride quality improved, it felt like the suspension were able to do all the suspension and the wobble/hopping from the tires dissapered.
the ride really improved  :laugh:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 07:39:34 pm »

Nice tyres and rims - need to drop the car a bit.

Offline Leeds s3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 10:26:24 pm »
my brother has being running ps3's on his r26 (previously had ps2 and finds these a lot better and the sidewalls arent to stiff) and they are especially good in the wet. Only trouble is they do seem very soft and look to be wearing fast.

Many BMW'S and one bog standard MK5 3dr Golf GTI.

Offline robern2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 08:26:02 am »
Interesting to hear the comment about the tyre being soft, driving style is a subjective thing but how many miles has your brother done ?

Offline Leeds s3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 10:03:41 am »
around 1500-2000 i would say, when i say soft i would say on par with eagle f1 gsd3's for example. The car does get driven hard though and its remapped so i guess that will add to the tyre wear.
Many BMW'S and one bog standard MK5 3dr Golf GTI.

Offline robern2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 10:22:48 am »
That's interesting, I was led to beleive the eagle F1 Asymmetric were significantly softer, hence the general mileage benefits from runinng Michelins.

Offline J5BWS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • I love my Golf me!
    • Anon Studio Limited
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 10:45:47 am »
Well first spirited drive today and all I can say is wow!  The wet weather grip is fantastic, big improvement in cornering speeds and very progressive when they finally hinted at sliding!

Very impressed how the traction control intervenes much later too as I often switched it off
completely before the tyre and wheel swap!