Make a donation

Author Topic: VW Racing Big Brake kit product review  (Read 120365 times)

Offline xht20

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: VW Racing Big Brake kit product review
« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2010, 10:30:21 am »
i also think that it would be, i don't think the structure and rezistance of the bell would be affected. Until i receive further instructions from Sam i won't do anything all by myself.

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #136 on: March 17, 2010, 10:48:39 am »
Measure how much space you have between the back of the wheel and the caliper and you'll know how much you can skim off the front of the bell... you'll only need a little bit of spigot, just to keep the wheel central whilst mounting.

Don't take it off the side that bolts to the disc, do the wheel side.

There's plenty of metal there too remove and I'm 99% confident it won't affect the integrity. Wait for Sam to say for sure though.
Sideways yo!

Offline jabbalad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
    • Jabbasport
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: March 17, 2010, 11:22:08 am »
What pads do you have in?
I had the DS3000s and had exactly the same problem with the juddering that your describing,
I ended up putting a leading edge onto the pads (like the top ones in this pic)

Its a thing we do on the pads in the race car to give them more feel and a little less bite in the wet, Matt did mention that the grooves in the disks are at a very aggressive angle, since i have put the chamfer on, the brake wobble has completely gone!

If your running the DS3000 pads make sure you dont let them get glazed tho, they really need to be kept at a high temperature for them to work properly!

Dont let the wobble put you off though, there absolutely awesome brakes and the feel you get from them is mega! (for a survo'd system anyway)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 11:28:37 am by jabbalad »
12.7 santapod... soon to be quicker :-)

Candy White Edition 30; Custom KW clubsports, Eibach hollow arbs, Jabba remap, BTB Exhaust, Twintake, Autotech HPFP, Team Dynamics wheels, VWR Big Brakes.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2010, 11:52:39 am »
What did you use to chamfer them, Luke? I've got some naughty pads that could do with the bite easing on them.
Sideways yo!

Offline xht20

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: March 17, 2010, 11:55:40 am »
i am running with DS2500 pads and they look identical with the first pads from top in the picture. I have the same vertical cut through them. Also the DS3000 have the same vertical cutting on the middle. I won't let this problem put me down although the wobble is very hard and the more faster i go and brake at higs speeds the wobble is more powerfull and a dirturbing noise is produced from the brakes.

Offline jabbalad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Jabbasport
    • Email
« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2010, 01:10:36 pm »
the pads will have the cut through them yes, but i was talking more about the 45 degree slopes off the ends of the pad, (shown to the left and right of the pad in the pic)

Tony, i just used a bench grinder, you could use a sander or a hand file i guess (be preparred for lots of dust tho) :laugh:

Candy White Edition 30; Custom KW clubsports, Eibach hollow arbs, Jabba remap, BTB Exhaust, Twintake, Autotech HPFP, Team Dynamics wheels, VWR Big Brakes.

Offline xht20

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2010, 01:53:54 pm »
a friend gave me another idea: when you brake and the pads touches the disc, they could move it 1-2 mm and the disc moves the custom spigot extension and this transfers the vibrations to the wheel and to the whole car further. At high speeds a movement of only few mm is enough to produce big wobbles. Hope i explained good. Here is a simplification:

the path of the vibration:

pads-> disc movement -> spigot extension movement -> wheel wobble -> car vibration

i know this theory sounds stupid, but i'm trying to give myself an explanation

Offline jabbalad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Jabbasport
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: March 17, 2010, 04:44:35 pm »
The brakes have been designed by Caparo to a very high standard, so I can assure you that there wouldn't be any movement in the pads, calipers or disks to make the wobble.

I have had phone calls from Caparo themselves and they have been very very helpful with trying to diagnose the problem that i had (which sounds exactly the same as what your having), and even offered to have a look at the brakes on the car if i couldn't sort it the way they had suggested!, but now i have put the chamfer onto the pads the wobble has completely gone!
I would really try doing this first, i would be very very surprised if your spigot extension has anything to do with it!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: March 17, 2010, 04:49:59 pm »
As jabba says above caparo know what they are doing as it is a it kit made for vwr. I was watching these brakes being thrashed around the track yesterday on about 3 cars and trust me after speaking to the drivers and getting brake temps from Mat after they had done 10+ laps on them i can assure u they are awesome  :smiley:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #144 on: March 17, 2010, 06:19:01 pm »
Teff,

If you only need the spigot to help mount a wheel on, then why not just get a wheel mounting tool like this

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #145 on: March 17, 2010, 07:50:39 pm »
Teff,

If you only need the spigot to help mount a wheel on, then why not just get a wheel mounting tool like this

....I've got one of those. Expensive but extremely helpful in reducing the risk of damaging the rim while taking on and off.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #146 on: March 17, 2010, 09:31:12 pm »
Teff you definately need your wheel to sit on the spigot of your hub. The spigot centres the wheel to stop wheel wobble at speed. Wheel nuts are there mainly to hold the wheel on, it's the job of the spigot to Take most of the weight of the car and not the nuts. I have seen many cars with this fault with the wheels not sitting on the hub correctly Causing wobble.

This could also be causing your braking judder as the wheel is already wobbleing before and as you are braking.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:40:18 pm by G4V VW »

Offline xht20

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: March 18, 2010, 12:50:38 am »
I would really try doing this first, i would be very very surprised if your spigot extension has anything to do with it!
How did you do the chamfer? There is a special tool? because tomorrow i'm going back to service to change my ignition coils and to have a look at the wheel to see where it's rubbing

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #148 on: March 18, 2010, 08:57:33 am »
See if the workshop has one of these?

Sideways yo!

Offline xht20

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: March 18, 2010, 10:19:48 am »
there is a certain lenght and angle of the chamfer?