Make a donation

Author Topic: Vcds timing issues.  (Read 6325 times)

Offline Graham1990

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Vcds timing issues.
« on: March 26, 2018, 06:44:13 pm »
Evening everyone. I’m having issues with p000a and p0011 codes. Im checking the timing on vcds and seeing 24.0kw requested but the actual is jumping around constantly from 9kw  to 35kw Does anyone know how to fix this issue ? It’s an axx code engine. I’ve already replaced the N205 valve and I have no vacuum leaks. I’ve replaced spark plugs and coil packs. Anyone? Please help lol

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: Vcds timing issues.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 09:29:38 am »
Which timing?  Cam or ignition?   I'm guessing it's the cam timing since those codes relate to the cam phasing.

What does measuring block 93 read?  Should be in the 0 to -3KW range.

If it's jumping up and down like that, it's possibly a faulty VVT unit, oil blockages or a duff N205.   I can't remember from your other thread, but was the N205 you bought a genuine one or ebay special?

What does block 91 do if pull the N205 connector?  Does it stabilize, or continue to jump around?   It should lock to ~30KW if you pull it if I remember correctly.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Graham1990

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 03:24:43 pm »
Which timing?  Cam or ignition?   I'm guessing it's the cam timing since those codes relate to the cam phasing.

What does measuring block 93 read?  Should be in the 0 to -3KW range.

If it's jumping up and down like that, it's possibly a faulty VVT unit, oil blockages or a duff N205.   I can't remember from your other thread, but was the N205 you bought a genuine one or ebay special?

What does block 91 do if pull the N205 connector?  Does it stabilize, or continue to jump around?   It should lock to ~30KW if you pull it if I remember correctly.

I can’t remember what block 93 was. It’s a mates vcds so I keep popping to his to use it.  I look at all these figures then try to ask someone to let me know what they mean because I don’t have a clue lol.  I replaced the n205 with a genuine one from vw. I’ve changed the oil and filter and oil pick up pipe so I would hope I don’t have an oil blockage. I’ll try pulling the n205 and see what that does next time I use vcds. Any other things I can try to figure out the issue? I got home last night and the car decided it didn’t want any coolant in it anymore. It’s all pissing out the bottom somewhere near the front. Maybe the rad so I will have to sort this issue first. I’ve had the car since jan and spent about £700 on parts so far. It’s a nightmare!! Most unreliable car I’ve owned so far. Hopefully I’ll get it all sorted and have trouble free motoring for a while soon as I can’t afford to keep chucking money at it and I really like the car!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 04:26:32 pm »
There isn't really a lot else to check.  I think it's time to pull the timing chain cover off and see if one of the little plastic oil control rings has broken.  I can only find a set of 3 on ebay for reasonable money, but I don't know if they are genuine.   The rings are £30 each from VW.  Absolute rip off for little bits of plastic.

That's a bummer about the coolant.  Touch wood I've not had any reliability issues.  Maybe the previous owners took that hit for me  :grin:  I know what you mean though, it's one thing after the next and that's on top of 'the system' trying to rape your wallet at every opportunity.

Offline Graham1990

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 04:43:02 pm »
Yeah it’s costing me a lot of money and I don’t have a lot at the moment as all my overtime has been stopped at work 🙄. I was under the assumption because that figure is jumping around so much it would be some sort of sensor issue ? I haven’t replaced the cam sensor yet, is that worth trying? I don’t mind paying the money if it’s going to solve my issue but at the moment I keep replacing parts and it’s not solving anything lol. Still haven’t sorted my amber steering wheel light yet either. I expect that will cost me a fortune lol

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 03:15:41 pm »
I haven't had overtime for years!!

Correction on the chain cover O rings, they are £30 for a pack of 3.   The dealer ordered me 3 packs of them, thinking '1' on his system was one ring!  :grin:

Yeah good shout, it could be the cam sensor.  They get covered in metal swarf over the years which could skew the readings.  Try popping it out and cleaning the junk off it to see if it helps.  Only £30 for a new one if not.

Offline Graham1990

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 03:34:43 pm »
Haha that’s a bonus then, £60 cheaper than you thought 🤑 I’ll give the cam sensor a try and see what happens. First thing tomorrow morning it’s going on the ramps to see where the coolant is leaking from and I’ll go from there. Hopefully nothing catastrophic 😅

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 06:04:59 pm »
Nothing on these cars is catastrophic mate.  I'm sure it's something minor.  Probably a piece of plastic crap let go!

Offline Graham1990

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 06:08:41 pm »
Thanks for all your help so far mate, I will let you know what unfolds tomorrow 🤓. I’m doing all this to get the car remap ready, my brother brought one the other week that is apparently 260bhp (no dyno proof) it does pop and bang though. I left him for dead so I may be doing all this and when I get it to r-tech they will tell me it’s already been mapped 😂

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 07:05:27 pm »
 :grin:  Quite possibly!  I think standard ones are rare these days!   You can see if it's been mapped in VCDS  :happy2:  You should consider getting a cable and the software.  Invaluable with these cars!

Offline Graham1990

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 07:10:53 pm »
Yeah I should do really, i would need lessons on how to diagnose what it’s telling me lol. I can normally google it and find out what I need to but then I don’t know what the numbers I’m looking at actually mean or even what they should be 😖 I’m hoping it’s not mapped because I would like a bit more power, it feels a bit slow at the moment 😕

Offline Graham1990

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 09:03:14 am »
Had a look at the coolant leak this morning, the radiator had decided it doesn’t want coolant in it anymore 😕. It’s hard to see exactly where it’s leaking from but I’ve unbolted the bottom of the rad fans pulled it out slightly and it’s leaking from up on the rad somewhere as there is no where else it can be coming from in that area. The pipes at the top of the rad are all sealed fine. I wonder how much lighter my wallet will be this time. My local vw must love me!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 12:36:50 pm »
That's not so bad mate, a fairly easy in and out job.  Compared to a radiator replacement, tracing leaks around the myriad of pipes and junctions on the engine is a right ball ache.  At least the radiator is definitive and can be done in a few hours.

See what carparts4less are saying on the price.  I think Valeo make the OEM one, so if they have that as a brand option, take it  :happy2:

I would wager my dealer loves me more.  I just picked through, literally, 60+ dealer invoices to find some part numbers, and that's just since my ownership  :surprised:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 12:38:24 pm by Pudding »

Offline Graham1990

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 12:42:09 pm »
Yeah I suppose that is a slight upside to it 👍 I will deffo keep they in mind. I have emailed vw for a price on a cam sensor and the rad I’ll see what they come back with and if it’s eye watering which it probably will be I will have a look at carparts4less 👍👍

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 12:52:37 pm »
Carparts4less do a Hella one for £84, and they also have an 18% easter discount code.

Just looked online and Valeo is the original brand. I reckon you'll be looking at £200 at least from the dealer, but let us know!