Make a donation

Author Topic: Signs of failing power steering?  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Signs of failing power steering?
« on: January 27, 2018, 06:00:46 pm »
Hi There
Im probably thinking the worst but im preempting that my EPAS is going to fail. (Always convinced my car is falling apart in one way or another!)
Im noticing that the steering does feel heavier and left turns in particular are more difficult - almost like there's less steering assistant to the left. The tyres are in good condition and at correct pressures - no signs of any visible damage underneath.
Reason why i think its the power steering is that it is heavier to turn when stationary. Despite this there is no grinding noises - just a very dull creaking noise but this has been there since ive had the car.
Also run a scan and no codes shown
Anything else to look for?

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Signs of failing power steering?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 06:40:00 pm »
If its of any use - ive noticed its not all the time. Does it have some sort of adaptive steering or anything that adapts to camber or road conditions?

MPS

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 12:47:42 pm »
The electrically assisted power steering on the mk5 compensates for crosswinds at high speed. Believe it or not.

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 02:41:18 pm »
Ah thats interesting as ive noticed the behavoir kicks in at higher speeds. Then sort of relaxes driving around town. So maybe what mines doing is normal? Tad annoying at annoying as it makes left turns harder. Any way of tirning this off?
It would make sense as i had a newer fiesta ST which used to do this

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 09:15:01 pm »
Been driving the car more lately and still noticing these problems. Ive lightened the steering effort via Carista car app like you VAGCOM. Altogether feels better but still have moments where steering effort feels higher turning left. Its inconsistent which is odd, im hoping to get an alignment soon but im not sure it would fix these characteristics. There is also a slight clicking noise when on full lock to left and when centring there is a very faint dull knocking noise but it only does this occasionally - this is with the car stationary. Just wanted an idea where to start looking before arranging an alignment which could potentially be waste of time.