Make a donation

Author Topic: Rattle noise on cold start  (Read 1173 times)

Offline peter_booker2003

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Rattle noise on cold start
« on: February 15, 2021, 04:45:55 pm »
Hi all,

Got an issue with my ED35 that has reared its head over the last few days. I'm very finicky so I know when something isn't right and always like to get it sorted before it gets any worse.

Having owned 5 MK5 Gti's in the past i'm fully up to date with this engine and its common problems. I had the cam chain replaced on a couple of them and all for the reason of a rattle at idle when cold.

Ive had the same thing with my ED35 for the last few days. IF the engine is starting from cold, the rattle is quite noticeable. It sounds as though its coming from the front right of the engine, but once out the car you cant hear it. Get back in the car and it's there for sure.

Having just been for a drive, once it gets up to temperature the noise has gone completely. The rattle doesn't become anymore noticeable when you slowly rev the car and once driving you cant hear it. I did think it may be an interior rattle but with the noise not being there when the engine is warm, I'm less inclined to think its this and more inclined to think its the engine. The car was serviced 4 weeks Ago and the Dog service was done less than 1000 miles ago.

Can anyone help me confirm if this is the common cam chain issue? The cars in warranty until the 25th of this month so keen to get it diagnosed and sorted.

Thanks
Past: MK5 Golf GTI, Black Magic Pearl, Xenons, SatNav, MFSW, Highline
Past: Edition 30 #1411, Tornado Red, Xenons, Revo Intake, H+R Springs, Highline, DSG,

Current: Mk5 Golf GTI, Steel Grey, 3dr, Manual

Offline brian_badonde

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 10
Re: Rattle noise on cold start
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 06:51:43 pm »
Those are exactly the symptoms mine had before I replaced the chain and the tensioner. The chain itself was actually fine, it hadn't elongated at all, but the plastic shoe on the tensioner was well on its way to splitting with some big grooves and a crack through the middle. Very glad I changed it, suggest you do the same!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline peter_booker2003

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: Rattle noise on cold start
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 08:22:38 pm »
Cheers Brian,

I suspected that would be the issue as it makes sense. Ill get it into the garage to try and get it sorted before the warranty runs out.

Thanks
Past: MK5 Golf GTI, Black Magic Pearl, Xenons, SatNav, MFSW, Highline
Past: Edition 30 #1411, Tornado Red, Xenons, Revo Intake, H+R Springs, Highline, DSG,

Current: Mk5 Golf GTI, Steel Grey, 3dr, Manual