Make a donation

Author Topic: Refund on fitted parts ...  (Read 2616 times)

Offline 80walk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Refund on fitted parts ...
« on: April 12, 2018, 06:18:12 pm »
Had circoli thermostat fitted today to car and turned out to be faulty... anyone ever been successful in claiming back labour on faulty fitted parts ? Was bought from euro parts....

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
Re: Refund on fitted parts ...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 06:29:00 pm »
Good luck with that! I just had an incorrect intercooler arrive from Germany earlier today and they told me I had to cover return costs even though it was their mistake. This was chiming in at £75 using their original oversized box but I managed to repack smaller and ship much much cheaper.

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 07:48:02 pm »
What are the symptoms of it being faulty? Just wondering if the fault could be something else?

Offline 80walk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 08:29:28 pm »
Mechanic mentioned 4hours labour fitting it then after starting car it was leaking apparently ... anyone any ideas what a genuine vw thermostat costs ?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 08:42:33 pm »
A lot less than buying a cheap one and having to repeat the work  :happy2:

Most of the online parts are junk. Dealer only for stuff you only want to do once.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Newbieintown

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 09:03:40 pm »
Hi I got a price from VW for the main thermostat and with VAT £39. Which isn’t so bad just wondering if I try doing it myself....
MK5 Golf GTI
200bhp
Tornado Red

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 09:11:01 pm »
Hi I got a price from VW for the main thermostat and with VAT £39. Which isn’t so bad just wondering if I try doing it myself....
Just fitted mine last weekend and I don't think I've ever been more frustrated by a job, even fitting all new suspension wasn't as bad. Just getting the alternator off is a complete pig, I'd happily pay 4hrs labour in future, only attempt it if you're a committed diy masochist and have plenty of tools and patience, took me around 8hrs in total, never again!

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 09:33:04 pm »
The above poster is right on the money, his advice is well worth noting.

However, if it's one of those lovely sunny spring days and you've read a couple of how too's, there's no better pass time but there are a few naughty bolts to get to, which may be the type you haven't got in your tool box  (Torx and tripple square range).

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Volkswagen_Golf_GTI_Mk_V/31-WATER-Replacing_Your_Thermostat/31-WATER-Replacing_Your_Thermostat.htm

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 09:33:54 pm »
Had circoli thermostat fitted today to car and turned out to be faulty... anyone ever been successful in claiming back labour on faulty fitted parts ? Was bought from euro parts....

I've never managed it.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 03:29:40 pm »
I didn't find the job too bad to be honest.  Fiddly, but not the worst job I've done.  Certainly more fun than timing chain replacement!  I would say the piggiest of all pig of a job jobs, is clutch replacement.

I would also factor in a temp sensor replacement since it sits inside the same biatch of a location.   But it costs more than the sodding thermostat housing!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 06:48:02 pm »
Seen Circoli Thermostats on ECP but never heard of them, do a google search and you'll be scratching your head of where they actually come from which is why I avoided it.

MAHLE on the otherhand is a OE supplier to the VAG group (VW, Audi, Porsche etc.) and ECP do sell them, I had no issues with the MAHLE thermostat I had fitted to my GTI and it's competitively priced with ECP discounts.