Make a donation

Author Topic: Do VW make any cars with suspension you can switch ?  (Read 1934 times)

Offline wacky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 56
  • -Receive: 4
Do VW make any cars with suspension you can switch ?
« on: May 31, 2018, 09:10:31 am »
Reason I'm asking is that I have an ed30, my daughter is 5 now and complaining that her belly hurts every time we are in the car ! - so I'm thinking the car's supension could be the issue as it's probably harsh for her.
I wondered if VW / Audi have made any cars where the suspension can be changed to soft / hard suspension from the dash ? I know the RSQ5 has this but they're a bit pricey.
The very thought of getting a normal family car makes my belly hurt !!

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
Re: Do VW make any cars with suspension you can switch ?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 11:22:33 am »
No adverse comments from my family on the Racingline sports spring / damper combo.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 11:32:14 am »
Mate of mine has a Scirocco with DDC. Feels pretty damn smooth in comfort mode. Although you'd expect that in comparison with a mk5 on coilovers. AFAIK DDC was brought in with the mk6, which is essentially a facelifted mk5, so theoretically DDC would 'work' on a mk5 - but getting all the electrics right might be asking a bit. I can't remember seeing any mk5s on here modded with DDC parts, so I'll take a punt and say it's too much work to be worth it.

If you don't want to change the car itself you might have some success in simply renewing the key suspension parts. So new OEM dampers, bushes, top mounts etc. There might even be an aftermarket solution, like Koni FSD dampers, that get you a bit closer to the plush ride you're after.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 12:36:59 pm »
Koni has revised the FSD, they're now called Special Active: http://www.koni.com/en-US/Cars/Products/Performance/Special-Active/.

I have the Koni FSD with Eibach Pro-Kit on my GT Sport. Great ride comfort and still delivers a good sporty drive when asked to. :smiley:

Offline wacky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 12:46:30 pm »
Koni has revised the FSD, they're now called Special Active: http://www.koni.com/en-US/Cars/Products/Performance/Special-Active/.

I have the Koni FSD with Eibach Pro-Kit on my GT Sport. Great ride comfort and still delivers a good sporty drive when asked to. :smiley:

thanks, that definitely looks like it could be an option !
did you notice much difference in the comfort of the ride from the original setup after you got these fitted ?

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 12:48:16 pm »
Also, both Bilstein and KW sell electronically adjustable coilovers that make the same as the factory DCC (only available from the mk6 and on).

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 12:50:53 pm »

thanks, that definitely looks like it could be an option !
did you notice much difference in the comfort of the ride from the original setup after you got these fitted ?

The original sport suspension was too harsh over bumps and damaged road surfaces. This setup is much better. Over really big bumps you still notice that you have a sport suspension, it's no boat. :laugh:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 11:22:51 pm »
Reason I'm asking is that I have an ed30, my daughter is 5 now and complaining that her belly hurts every time we are in the car ! - so I'm thinking the car's supension could be the issue as it's probably harsh for her.
What make and type of tyres do you have?  The black donuts are often overlooked when ride comfort and harshness is concerned.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline wacky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 09:18:12 am »
What make and type of tyres do you have?  The black donuts are often overlooked when ride comfort and harshness is concerned.

I have Kumho's, which are low profile.

I'm hoping sickness bands do the trick before I explore the Grandad options !

Cheers