Make a donation

Author Topic: Large 4 pot calipers fitted, issue with bleeding....  (Read 896 times)

Offline cfoster

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Large 4 pot calipers fitted, issue with bleeding....
« on: June 06, 2018, 05:02:43 pm »
Hi all,

I've just fitted some large 4 pot calipers/360mm discs from an RS6/Gallardo to my 2007 gti dsg, at the same time I have refurbished the standard rear calipers with new pistons, seals etc... I made the mistake of not sealing the brake pipes in each corner so in essence have drained the entire system (lesson learnt for next time!).

I've tried bleeding all four corners) front calipers have 2 bleed nipples, once with a pressurised bleeder (one that attaches to car tyre) and the second time manually with two of us but I still get full travel on the brake pedal.  When bleeding I had zero bubbles coming through and bled them in the correct order (twice in the fact the second time).

Any ideas?  Could it be an issue with the master cylinder?  Would I need to get something bigger to cater for the larger front calipers? Should I bleed the ABS pump as well?

Cheers

4ndy

Re: Large 4 pot calipers fitted, issue with bleeding....
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 05:52:57 pm »
360mm :drinking: Pics would be nice :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 679
Re: Large 4 pot calipers fitted, issue with bleeding....
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 12:15:26 pm »
Draining the entire system isn't a bad thing in the long run!   The fluid can get pretty black over time.

I have to ask the obvious - the bleed nipples are pointing up aren't they?   It's quite a common school boy error to switch the calipers by mistake so that the nipples are facing the floor.  I've done that myself a few times  :grin:

Assuming you have the calipers in the correct orientation, personally I would pay a main dealer the £64 brake flush fee and have them do it for you.   I had similar issues with the Clubsport S brakes but I got the car back from VW with a massively better pedal  :drinking:

TTRS master cylinder should fit, which is pretty big, if you want to go down that road.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D