Make a donation

Author Topic: Fixed height suspension kit recommendations. Racingline?  (Read 6742 times)

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Fixed height suspension kit recommendations. Racingline?
« on: May 31, 2018, 03:40:03 pm »
Hi,

On 110k and suspension feels like a bowl of jelly with nails in... looking for a decent OEM+ replacement.

Ideally I want something a little less bang-crash than the original set up, but also more capable. The Racingline kit sounds absolutely perfect, however I’m really put off by the low ride height. Aware they quote 20mm drop, but in Puddings excellent review, the drop looks closer to 40mm!

It’s a daily driver and school run machine, I also live around the country therefore I need the ride height to stay sensible. 15-20mm is about the max I can get away with. I can’t tolerate any arch rubbing.

I narrowed it down to the Racingline kit, which as I said sounds like it does exactly what I’m after, other than the ride height; the ST kit which looks to have the right drop, but I’ve no idea what the ride is like, or the AP kit, which is potentially a bargain at £315 from DPM. Also sen the Vogtland kit but appears this is out of stock most places.

Can anyone provide any insight on the above? Specifically the drop of the Racingline kit, or any other alternatives.

Cheers

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Fixed height suspension kit recommendations. Racingline?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 03:55:05 pm »
Bilstein b12 kit or vogtland..... had both on my gti and both are very good indeed ! With the vogtland you can obviously set to your exact desired ride height  :happy2:

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 05:00:12 pm »
I've just replaced my factory setup for VWR springs and Bilstein B4 Sport Dampers. The height has been lowered about 20mm and I've not heard any rubbing when driven hard.

I've had loads of coilovers on different cars but this time around I didn't need height/rebound adjustability, just a firmer setup using decent parts.

The ride is firmer but in no way harsh, hard corner is vastly improved. I've only had the car a few months and it now drives like I expected it to.

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 05:28:37 pm »
Thanks. It’s hard to imagine how the ride could be any former than what I have now. It transmits every single stone through the seat and steering wheel, but wallows in the corners a bit too. Maybe my shocks have just had it? I do have the rear wheel drone and a bit of sawtoothing going on too.

Interesting about the Vwr springs, I would imagine the ride height is the same using their full kit as it is with just the springs, but I might be wrong

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 05:53:11 pm »
Maybe. The sport dampers were from do performance if you want to have a look.

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 07:29:57 pm »
I have the B4 Bilstien dampeners too with eibach sports line springs.  Ride is good, I don't find it harsh BUT there are a few speed bumps in the local shopping complex where it grinds over unless im doing 5mph.  Seems that the humps you get on roads are ok though.

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 09:09:18 pm »
Has anyone used the AP kit? Seen them in Euro performance for £271, which has got to be a bargain.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 05:03:08 pm »
The standard suspension is a curious blend of urban harshness and B road wallowing.  Not really sure how they managed to screw it up so badly.  Maybe that was OK 10 years ago, but it just won't do anymore  :smiley:

The VWR kit is way better than standard.  Rides better and handles better.  It can still feel a little thumpy and crashy (like standard!) on really crappy roads, but the smaller little bumps that troubled the standard car, the VWR kit smoothes out nicely.

Definitely not -20mm as you say, not on my manual ED30 at least.   I can't comment on the cheaper kits unfortunately but Ohlins is seriously next level stuff and that is a genuine 20mm drop  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 09:16:13 am »
Yeah thanks. Your review was great and it sounds perfect other than the drop height.

I was set on the ST set as the drop looks good with these, and they are decent KW dampers by all accounts, but the AP set is so cheap and gets some love over on the Briskoda forum.

I’ve got a bit of knocking from the front too, so considering changing a couple bushes while I’m at it, can’t afford a whole set, what are the essentials?

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 09:23:01 am »
Yeah thanks. Your review was great and it sounds perfect other than the drop height.

I was set on the ST set as the drop looks good with these, and they are decent KW dampers by all accounts, but the AP set is so cheap and gets some love over on the Briskoda forum.

I’ve got a bit of knocking from the front too, so considering changing a couple bushes while I’m at it, can’t afford a whole set, what are the essentials?

I'd think about getting top mounts if you are getting new springs and dampers.  Other bushes can be replaced without removing the spring/damper.   

Have your console bushes checked for wear, and also droplinks.  I've recently had:
New springs, dampers, top mounts, ball joints, concole bushes, drop links. It ain't cheap, but doing top mounts with suspension will save you £ if they need doing later.

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 11:03:14 am »
Consider Pedders suspension, comes with the front struts built up with new top mounts and springs. Other than that I'd look at the VWR kit but it depends on how much you wish to spend really.

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 01:17:15 pm »
I have some brand new ttrs ( the ones you want really ) that will be up for sale later

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 01:33:55 pm »
......and I may have my Racingline sports suspension (dampers and springs) for sale next month......

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 02:36:34 pm »
......and I may have my Racingline sports suspension (dampers and springs) for sale next month......

Job done then  :grin: :happy2:

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 09:15:57 pm »
Sounds like it!
How do you find the drop on your car? It dropped Puddings more like 40mm by the looks of it. Do you have a pic?