Make a donation

Author Topic: Forge DV + Uprated PCV Questions  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Hryszko

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Forge DV + Uprated PCV Questions
« on: June 01, 2018, 10:55:43 am »
Quick question guys...

My DV and PCV are standard at the moment, can anyone recommend the forge DV? Will I notice a huge difference in it as an upgraded part?

None of them need changing as far as I'm aware but i've already done things like the DSG service, cam follower, engine service etc... Looking at doing some other subtle upgrades and i've heard fairly decent things?

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Re: Forge DV + Uprated PCV Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 11:01:48 am »
GFB DV+  :happy2: sorted
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Black Vienna Leather Interior
19" Pretoria Alloy Wheels
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline Hryszko

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 11:11:32 am »
 :signLOL:
GFB DV+  :happy2: sorted

I think I may have actually meant GFB..... hahah, how much are they/ are they worth it?

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 11:58:38 am »
I bought a GFB DV+ a few weeks ago and it was around £100 and the car felt very different after fitting, more urgent, a worthwhile mod that definitely registers on the bum dyno.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 04:50:29 pm »
As a long term user of a GFB, I had a couple of issues.  A gradual flattening of the responsiveness over time, which I put down to piston binding.  The scoring marks on it certainly add weight to that theory.  And secondly, my orange silicon pad started coming away from the brass piston.  I binned it and went back to a rev G and it feels no different to a new GFB in all honesty.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 01:19:52 pm »
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263725632183

might be be to get this cheap i cant see many people bidding it up, if your looking for one might save you a bit of cash
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Black Vienna Leather Interior
19" Pretoria Alloy Wheels
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 09:57:49 pm »
I bought a GFB DV+ a few weeks ago and it was around £100 and the car felt very different after fitting, more urgent, a worthwhile mod that definitely registers on the bum dyno.

Interested to hear more after replacing a Rev G that clearly wasn’t fitted to the car from factory but was absolutely, totally knackered. There was less than 1mm of the diaphragm still attached, the rest was torn to shreds.

Car is standard but after seeing that I’d want to change it every year at least. Heard great and not so great things about the GFB.

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 09:58:16 pm »

Interested to hear more after replacing a Rev G that clearly wasn’t fitted to the car from factory but was absolutely, totally knackered. There was less than 1mm of the diaphragm still attached, the rest was torn to shreds.

Car is standard but after seeing that I’d want to change it every year at least. Heard great and not so great things about the GFB.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 07:45:06 am »
I run a Porsche DV with a K04 upgrade...it holds 30+ psi and opens under vacuum. It has a DV simulator to prevent codes(pictured below).

But if I was still running the oem DV...I would use the "-D" revision or piston-type and not the "-G" revision if tuned or planning to tune because like the earlier versions the G and its rubber diaphragm tears easily. If stock, I wouldn't care which I personally used...the D or the G.

The GFB DV rebuild kit is over-rated in my opinion as some just have had troubles with it and others have not. May partly have something to do with owners left doing the GFB DV rebuild themselves or perhaps it is the product quality, who really knows? So there you have it...my $0.02.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 04:45:36 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 07:57:12 am »
Leave them all alone. The standard PCV is fine, buy the latest revision new one if/when needed. Don't stick a partial PCV delete plate on there

As for the DV - stick with a G and treat is as a consumable or go for a DV+. Some have had issues, but mine as been fine for the past 2 or 3 years as I got fed up of replacing the Rev G on a K03 car - getting lazy in my old age. If I had a K04 I would have stuck with the G as its a doddle to change

There's no performance gain with a DV+ over a Rev G DV - the midrange response is improved as the ECU doesn't hold the valve open for longer than is needed thanks to the additional spring setup in the DV+. It's a minor improvement though quite noticeable
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 09:46:24 am by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 09:09:44 am »
I too have had a DV+ for a couple of years. No issues and throttle response is snappier.

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 11:38:09 pm »
Good to know.

I think I’ll bite the bullet and get a DV+ at some point in the future, but having seen the state of my Rev G, and the colossal effect it had on performance (wouldn’t have lost much more power if I’d taken the turbo off) I’m reluctant to just wait for it to go wrong again.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 11:51:37 am »
I run a Porsche DV with a K04 upgrade...it holds 30+ psi and opens under vacuum. It has a DV simulator to prevent codes(pictured below).

But if I was still running the oem DV...I would use the "-D" revision or piston-type and not the "-G" revision if tuned or planning to tune because like the earlier versions the G and its rubber diaphragm tears easily. If stock, I wouldn't care which I personally used...the D or the G.

The GFB DV rebuild kit is over-rated in my opinion as some just have had troubles with it and others have not. May partly have something to do with owners left doing the GFB DV rebuild themselves or perhaps it is the product quality, who really knows? So there you have it...my $0.02.

That looks like a BorgWarner EFR DV?   I'm not that convinced by vacuum DVs on TFSIs personally, though.    There must be a feedback loop from the DV solenoid for the ECU to control the fuelling very quickly, to avoid any over rich spots killing the cats.   Not sure a resistor in a plug has the same affect to be honest?

Agreed on the rev D.  It's the only OEM one that is fit and forget.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 09:40:36 pm »
I have contemplated running another revision-D lately just to see if I notice any diff...I had this one since ordering my K04 as you are aware. I could always just keep this as a spare if ever needed. AWE says "it is an older Porsche type DV"...but is likely from a BW turbo and yeah, it could be a BW supplied bit originally for a Porsche.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Sessions

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 07:03:29 pm »
From what ive heard rev d is the one to have. i changed mine for the latest rev f or g.
No problems with this. No probs with the c that came off either. Diaphram still all intace