Make a donation

Author Topic: How-To Improve an Evoms Engine Cover....  (Read 33026 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
How-To Improve an Evoms Engine Cover....
« on: February 10, 2010, 05:05:02 pm »

Replacing the oem air intake with an aftermarket high-flow tubular air intake invariably means losing the oem engine cover. A 4-pot engine does not have the same visual appeal as a V6, V8, V12 etc, nor the appeal of their sound but that's a different story! Some of us are happy to leave the engine exposed - Doing so doesn't present any problems but a cover does offer some protection from weather splashing in and also does much to make the engine bay look a lot tidier. Okay, I know there are macho Phillistines amongst us who don't care about engine bay eye-candy.

Others of us prefer to have an engine cover but there aren't a lot of options on offer. One solution is to cut down the oem plastic cover and even go a few steps further and beautify it as Neil has so skillfully done : -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11138.msg170827#msg170827

Evoms offer a black finished aluminium engine cover but, if you can get hold of one, it has some shortfalls in its design. Hence I carried out some improvements which others may find useful.

The first shortfall is the hole through which you have to pass the MAF cable and Coolant bottle hose whenever you take on/off the Evoms cover. This means disconnecting both cable and hose and until you have unscrewed and partly moved the cover you can't even access the MAF connector! My solution to this is quite simple: Just take a fine hacksaw and open the 'O' to form a 'U' - Why couldn't the designers have thought of that.

^ This leaves a 'peninsular' for one of the fixing points but there are no stresses when fitted.

^ Recently it's been rightly pointed out that the coolant bottle hose (header return) could suffer from undue wear by being gradually cut by the metal Evoms cover (whether 'O' or 'U'). This could be potentially dangerous. The following two photos show a solution:

Another shortfall is the difficulty of fixing onto the existing engine bracket adjacent to the air intake and battery. That bracket gets very hot! So imagine you're out on a run and have to stop to check something out such as a coilpack and want to remove the engine cover. Apart from the physical difficulty of getting your fingers inside and under the cover to access the bolt, you could easily burn yourself.

So my solution has been to use a thermal metal-to-metal glue to secure stainless steel washers and threaded bolt (hex screw) so the bolt is permanently fixed and acts like a peg into the engine bracket. A rubber washer and stainless nut can be further used once the cover is fitted but I haven't found this necessary. The result is that I don't have to hurt or burn my fingers or drop nuts and bolts irretrievably down amongst the engine.

^ Threaded 'peg' on outer side, ready to offer as male to the female bracket.

^ Permanently glued hex screw on inner side to form a peg. This is on the inside under the cover - The area seriously difficult to access. If you are wondering why there are two large washers it's part of my necessary repair to restore a hole. The particular Evoms cover I was given had this area cut away but I don't understand why - Perhaps to slip over a loose nut and bolt already in the bracket and then tighten. This would avoid the difficult access problem but wouldn't be very secure as it could jump upwards if jolted and then start rattling.

Incidentally, with some of the aftermarket intakes and especially on cars with oem engine mounts and therefore plenty of movement, the bracket can break : -

The ITG intake has good fixing with a degree of cushioning from its many silicone hose sections. The Forge Twintake doesn't need to use the bracket : -

^ My Evoms cover with the Twintake and no nut fitted.

^ The Evoms cover just clears the Twintake filter cannister but there is no movement so no problem.

^ The cover has plenty of room for hoses etc to route.

I think the Evoms cover aesthetically looks much better with a centre strip and it does appear to be designed to have one, although Evoms have not provided any fixing method. In fact, much as I like their cover, it hasn't been properly thought through by its designers. It's as if it went straight from the drawing board to production and distribution without any testing. It's not helped by the fact that Regal are the main exclusive UK distributors - I ordered one at the very beginning of December and the order didn't come through until a few days ago. Perhaps it's down to Evoms themselves but it's frustrating. Fortunately GTIjames gave me one and I cancelled my order.

[With Special Thanks to forum members GTIjames and gillm]

January 2013 - GTI build # plaque added...............

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 09:20:47 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
Re: How-To Improve an Evoms Engine Cover....
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 05:14:31 pm »
[Waits for Hedge's response to "How-To Improve an Evoms Engine Cover".... Toss it in the bin!  :grin:]

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 05:20:09 pm »
 :happy2:

looks spot on robin really smartened up the engine bay

and nice work with making it easier to remove - this was one of my gripes when I had it installed on my car

pleased you got it all sorted and its looking 8)
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 05:23:35 pm »
i dont think it was alloy robin (might be wrong )  i would keep a eye on your return hose that goes back to the header tank , it looks close and it it chaffed it could go threw and over heat !

i have something to cure that if needed tho .
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 05:31:34 pm »

i dont think it was alloy robin (might be wrong )  i would keep a eye on your return hose that goes back to the header tank , it looks close and it it chaffed it could go threw and over heat !

....Not sure what you mean:

- When you say "alloy" are you referring to the sheet material of the cover?

- Is the "return hose back to the header tank" what I have called the Coolant hose? The one alongside the MAF cable?

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 05:36:10 pm »
Robin,

You really really need to sort this out, it will chafe through in miles few.  Perhaps use a ty-wrap to make sure the coolant hose and loom are kept well clear.

Or line the edge of the evoms cover with a rubber bead......

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 05:47:38 pm »
[Waits for Hedge's response to "How-To Improve an Evoms Engine Cover".... Toss it in the bin!  :grin:]

:innocent:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 06:18:09 pm »
Robin,

You really really need to sort this out, it will chafe through in miles few.  Perhaps use a ty-wrap to make sure the coolant hose and loom are kept well clear.

.... :happy2: OK

I'm not disagreeing with you but what I have done is no different from what the normal unmodified Evoms cover does: The hose and MAF connecting cable ("loom"?) are fed through a circular 'O' hole and all I have done is open part of the 'O' to form a 'U'. The physical contact is the same as with every other Evoms cover and Evoms provide that hole otherwise the cover won't fit.

So, if I've understood correctly, the opening in the Evoms cover, whether 'O' or 'U' is potentially dangerous.

Either way I am very much inclined to take your advice and take steps to somehow tidily protect the hose and cable casing.

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 06:24:02 pm »
pm me your address and i will post some stuff to protect the coolent hose . 

west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 06:24:11 pm »
Robin,

You really really need to sort this out, it will chafe through in miles few.  Perhaps use a ty-wrap to make sure the coolant hose and loom are kept well clear.

I'm not disagreeing with you but what I have done is no different from what the normal unmodified Evoms cover does: The hose and MAF connecting cable ("loom"?) are fed through a circular 'O' hole and all I have done is open part of the 'O' to form a 'U'. The physical contact is the same as with every other Evoms cover and Evoms provide that hole otherwise the cover won't fit.

So, if I've understood correctly, the opening in the Evoms cover, whether 'O' or 'U' is potentially dangerous.

Either way I am very much inclined to take your advice and take steps to somehow tidily protect the hose and cable casing.

What you have is a 'aluminium cover with a relatively sharp edge (not sharp as in knife terms) which will vibrate (no matter what mounts are fitted).  it will vibrate against the rubber hose and loom,  the cover material is harder than the rubber/plastic loom, and will cut through.  

Ideally ty-wrap the hose and loom to pull them away from the cover, and provide some clearance.

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 06:30:55 pm »
Nicely done Robin well done  :congrats:

I especially like the way it looks with the CF center strip.

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 06:35:44 pm »
Robin,

What you have is a 'aluminium cover with a relatively sharp edge (not sharp as in knife terms) which will vibrate (no matter what mounts are fitted).  it will vibrate against the rubber hose and loom,  the cover material is harder than the rubber/plastic loom, and will cut through.  

Ideally ty-wrap the hose and loom to pull them away from the cover, and provide some clearance.

or add tanktrac / edging strip .

im guessing you know the deal fellow heli worker lol .
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 06:43:52 pm »

....My first intention when I received the Evoms was to tie back the two 'lines' rather than open up the 'O' hole. But there isn't the flexibility or sufficient length in the oem hose to tie it back, nor is there an obvious and safe location to tie it to IIRC. So that's why I decided to cut (and smooth, but it's still potentially sharp) the 'O' to form a 'U'.

I may have to heavily wrap the 2 lines in that area - Too difficult to source a rubber beading that will stay on the cover edge. Funnily enough I did think of a rubber grommet on the hole anyway before deciding to open to a 'U'.

Any suggestions for a wrapping material?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 06:47:00 pm »

or add tanktrac / edging strip .

im guessing you know the deal fellow heli worker lol .

....Between you guys, you'll have me building a GTI which can fly like a helicopter!  :grin:

But be warned, Dave, you won't like the cabin noise  :evilgrin: :wink: :wink:

Or perhaps a tank! What's "tanktrac"?

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 06:49:20 pm »
it is a flxi plastic strip which will go over the sharp edge . needs to be glued on but you have that already
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp