Make a donation

Author Topic: Time for a change? Audi or keep to VW.  (Read 18554 times)

Offline cossy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 4
  • 57 REG ED30 5325 MILES!
Re: Time for a change? Audi or keep to VW.
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2010, 11:03:36 am »
How do you think the S3 compares to the Ed30 apart from the traction improvement?

Offline gazbutS3

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2010, 11:08:52 am »
your dad would kill u  :signLOL:

I ain't worried about him he can be sweet talked, it's the missus that im worried about when it does come time for a change  :surprised:

Got the Mrs sorted, keep the same colour she will never know. he he

I can't remember the exact name of the Audi colour that is similar to VW steel grey on the S3's but it really really suits them  :notworthy:

there is meteor grey or dolphin grey, both lovely

get what you want pal, we're only here once :happy2:

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2010, 11:14:44 am »
How do you think the S3 compares to the Ed30 apart from the traction improvement?

Without a doubt the Audi feels more special. The quality of the interior is second to none, everything feels so solid. Apart from that there isn't a great deal. As you mentioned the handling and traction is the biggest difference which makes it much easier to live with day to day than my old ED30  :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2010, 12:08:10 pm »

Without a doubt the Audi feels more special. The quality of the interior is second to none, everything feels so solid. Apart from that there isn't a great deal. As you mentioned the handling and traction is the biggest difference which makes it much easier to live with day to day than my old ED30  :happy2:

Bollox and u know it  :P u would have dans ed30 in a heart beat  :booty: u loved it big time and that time going after Gaz and the car stepped out  :driver: now thats fun grip nah its fun trying to get the power down  :driver:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:10:06 pm by MAT ED30 »

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2010, 12:16:50 pm »
your dad would kill u  :signLOL:

I ain't worried about him he can be sweet talked, it's the missus that im worried about when it does come time for a change  :surprised:

Got the Mrs sorted, keep the same colour she will never know. he he

I can't remember the exact name of the Audi colour that is similar to VW steel grey on the S3's but it really really suits them  :notworthy:

there is meteor grey or dolphin grey, both lovely

get what you want pal, we're only here once :happy2:

Meteor grey is the replacement for dolphin grey but they look more or less the same :happy2:

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2010, 12:17:47 pm »
There's only one way to decide between a S3 and an Ed30:

Long test drives in each, ideally back-to-back on exactly the same route to include various kinds of roads.

Forget how it looks on paper, follow your heart! Life's not a rehearsal.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2010, 02:46:19 pm »

It's posher!  :P

Offline Strat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2010, 03:23:03 pm »
Why does everyone always only ever consider VW or Audi, at times blindly so?! There are several other good brands out there that make really decent cars aka BMW that for some reason, people here never consider!? Very odd!

oh, im getting a new car, but its VAG without even questioning it. aside from the golf GTI/R the other VW cars are naff, the S3 is dated and dull, and the other audi cars are generally inferior to their BMW counterparts!

anyone care to enlighten me as to the reason for this? id be interested to know!
Candy

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2010, 03:35:55 pm »
Why does everyone always only ever consider VW or Audi, at times blindly so?! There are several other good brands out there that make really decent cars aka BMW that for some reason, people here never consider!? Very odd!

oh, im getting a new car, but its VAG without even questioning it. aside from the golf GTI/R the other VW cars are naff, the S3 is dated and dull, and the other audi cars are generally inferior to their BMW counterparts!

anyone care to enlighten me as to the reason for this? id be interested to know!

Yay a Strat rant!  :pomppomp:

I think NeilM is considering an M3. There's also a few considering 1 series coupe's??  :confused:

Offline NeilM

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2010, 03:39:03 pm »
Well (take cover Neil) I went to an even darker side this morning, BMW. Delivery end of March.

I've had the edition 30 for almost 3 yrs and 51k miles. Its done (cough) a few track days (cough) 1/4 mile sprints, 30-130's and a Gti shootout @ Bruntingthorpe and I have enjoyed every minute of driving it, apart from perhaps getting my arse kicked by Ben at the Pod and the gravel rash at Donnington.

I'm going to be gutted if I have to let her go but I'm planning to try and keep it as a road legal track car,  :happy2:

Neil

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2010, 03:43:36 pm »

ha ha come for a run in mine or Toms S3's then tell me they are dull :wink:

Offline Strat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2010, 03:48:11 pm »

Yay a Strat rant!  :pomppomp:

I think NeilM is considering an M3. There's also a few considering 1 series coupe's??  :confused:

haha no, not a rant, just an observation!  :party:

just seems that VAG is what people consider and never anything else, bar NeilM apparently! just wondered what the fascination was!

Gaz, maybe i need a run out in one, coz they've never really appealed and all the write ups seem to give the same conclusion!  be interesting to find out!
Candy

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2010, 03:50:40 pm »
std I understand where you are coming from pal, the S3 is more of a relaxed ride than the GTI, but with a few choice mods you really need that extra traction :smiley:

Offline MancBen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2010, 04:10:20 pm »
You have a nice choice between the 2 cars... but as you already have a 'normal' car (by the sounds of things) and you are only going to drive the new one as a 2nd car, at the weekends, in the dry.... why not gets something a bit more special ?  An Exige or Caterham for example ?

each to their own... but interested in your thoughts !!

Cheers
Ben  :happy2:

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2010, 04:29:44 pm »
Just worked out, if you factor the depreciation of your car since new, and the mileage you have done, you have paid approx £3 for every mile driven, then add in Tax and petrol, and you may as well get a taxi to take you places.  :laugh: :wink: