Make a donation

Author Topic: Time for a change? Audi or keep to VW.  (Read 18535 times)

Offline cossy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 4
  • 57 REG ED30 5325 MILES!
Re: Time for a change? Audi or keep to VW.
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2010, 04:46:49 pm »
Why does everyone always only ever consider VW or Audi, at times blindly so?! There are several other good brands out there that make really decent cars aka BMW that for some reason, people here never consider!? Very odd!

oh, im getting a new car, but its VAG without even questioning it. aside from the golf GTI/R the other VW cars are naff, the S3 is dated and dull, and the other audi cars are generally inferior to their BMW counterparts!

anyone care to enlighten me as to the reason for this? id be interested to know!

BMW, id rather have a ford & I really hate fords :happy2:

Anyway thought the tyres, paint, steering wheel, engine, gearbox are all options on BMW?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 04:51:05 pm by cossy »

Offline cossy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2010, 04:49:25 pm »
Just worked out, if you factor the depreciation of your car since new, and the mileage you have done, you have paid approx £3 for every mile driven, then add in Tax and petrol, and you may as well get a taxi to take you places.  :laugh: :wink:

Expect you could work out how much £££ per breath as well? . Dont give a monkeys to be honest, cars are expensive period. We all have a choice. I could think of worse things to waste money on............................................................  :fighting:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 04:51:36 pm by cossy »

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2010, 04:54:02 pm »
Boring Money Wasters those BMW's.

Strat, like you say with the GTI and R the only decent BMW's are the M3 and the M5. My mate has had several of them, but even he says the dealers are as bad as Audi/VW et al!

Until the RS3 comes out there isn't really anything I fancy....in the same class of car as the ED30.

I'll most likely have changed too before the end of the year and I still get drawn by the lure of the GT-R :chicken: :evilgrin:
Golf R gone.

Offline cossy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2010, 04:55:24 pm »
think I may have poked a stick in, waiting for the hornets!!!!!!!!!!  :scared:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2010, 05:01:51 pm »
Anyway thought the tyres, paint, steering wheel, engine, gearbox are all options on BMW?

Perhaps that used to be the case, but I think you'll find that they are on par with Audi etc now in terms of standard specification.

A lot of people are very loyal to their car brands. There are millions of people who will always stick with BMW and not consider anything else, likewise with Audi/VAG.

Your quote above suggests to me that you've immediately discounted BMW without even doing some basic research and even giving them the light of day! .....which, of course, is entirely up to you, i just find it a shame that's all. My father for example was always loyal to Jaguar...i love Jaguar blah blah blah. It took me the best part of 5 years to even convince him to just look at the alternatives. BMW was one of them. Now he has  BMW and can't believe that he spent all those years in Jags. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting VAG on par with Jag because they are completely different manufacturers with different brand values and target audiences, and also I'm not suggesting that you are so brand loyal as that, but it was just an example.

Let us know what you decide on  :happy2:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 05:50:44 pm by WhiteGTI »
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2010, 05:04:32 pm »

think I may have poked a stick in, waiting for the hornets!!!!!!!!!!  :scared:

^ Not the sort of angry hornets you expected!

I love German cars and that includes BMW's.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2010, 05:14:01 pm »
good look mate, if it was me and it was just a weekend toy i would get something bit special, 996 turbo? hello!!! as said, test drive em both, between the two i would get an r, but i would never spend 25-30k on a hot hatch, but we all have our heart set  on something  :happy2:
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline Strat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2010, 05:48:46 pm »
nah its fair enough! always interesting to know people's thoughts on different makes etc. personally i rate bmw's over vw and audi, but maybe im biased having worked for them! ha

yeh let us know what you decide to get!
Candy

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2010, 06:01:13 pm »
regardless of the miles covered it can also be about the time owned, i have a mate who rarely uses his car (has a company car) but changes every 2-3 years, a case of some new metal to play/clean

if it were me, i'm not so sure i'd be looking at the golf or the audi, with the miles you do i think my money would be thrown at something a little more unique to own.. second hand and carefully bought you could sit down happily into a TVR, Porsche, Ferrari, Aston etc  :innocent:

Offline sambo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2010, 06:05:19 pm »
Gotta be a V6 or above for such limited mileage, worth paying £3 a mile or whatever just for the roar!   :jumpmove:  monaro VXR's always looked fun   :jumping:

Wish I was in a position to be able to do what your doing, go for it!

Sam
]

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2010, 06:25:50 pm »
regardless of the miles covered it can also be about the time owned, i have a mate who rarely uses his car (has a company car) but changes every 2-3 years, a case of some new metal to play/clean

if it were me, i'm not so sure i'd be looking at the golf or the audi, with the miles you do i think my money would be thrown at something a little more unique to own.. second hand and carefully bought you could sit down happily into a TVR, Porsche, Ferrari, Aston etc  :innocent:

For the most part I agree with VC.....but a TVR :sick:

I've been in more than a few of these and every one smelt like a glue factory/urinal :sick: :sick:
The sound is great, but the drive isn't. plus the fact that in the 18 months that my mate owned his Cerbera. only 14 of those were when he actually HAD it and it wasn't being repaired :laugh:
Golf R gone.

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2010, 06:49:26 pm »
The TVR is an acquired taste, but at only a couple of thousand miles a year he wont see that many issues.. was just for eg

my a$$ would be firmly in a ferrari  :innocent:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2010, 07:00:55 pm »
The TVR is an acquired taste, but at only a couple of thousand miles a year he wont see that many issues.. was just for eg

Mine would be in a Nissan :evilgrin:
Golf R gone.

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2010, 07:09:43 pm »

Mine would be in a Nissan :evilgrin:

if it floats your boat dude who am i to say anything  :signLOL: :P

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2010, 07:57:32 pm »
my old ed30 only did 8 k miles was a 56 reg i enjoyed every minute of owning it in the 2 years i had it i only lost £2k (excluding what i spent on mods ) when i traded it in for the S3 , the S3 is a great car but you need to get used to it to fully appreciate it mine gets better the more miles i do , ive not driven a golf R yet but have been a passenger and it feels exactly the same as an S3 (which is what it is ) imo the S3 is a great car to follow an ed30 because all the mods you want for your ed30 , intercooler , brakes , traction etc come as standard