Make a donation

Author Topic: Edition 30 worth the extra?  (Read 6118 times)

Offline jonk710

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Edition 30 worth the extra?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 06:43:08 am »
I sold my R32 and bought an Edition 30. Hated it, sold it and bought another 32.

Maybe you drove an Ed. 30 stock. They come to life once remapped. :wink:
It was stock, i can't really pin point why I didn't like it, just something about it. It was also my first white car and couldn't take to the colour at all. Will never buy another white car.
R32
Mk2 16v - Jonk
A6 dog chariot
Rallye under construction

Offline DaveMsport

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 10:07:05 pm »
I've just got a GTI for my other half and as neither or us are keen on chopping and changing cars and just get nice ones worth keeping, I was having a good think should I bide my time and get a nice Edition 30.

Trouble is editions are hardly ever for sale over here in Ireland so would be over 10k euro by the time had a good one over and back from the UK and vrt paid on it. The GTI I got for her was only 3500 so would do alot for 5-7k of a difference  :grin:

It's the same with my E46 M3. It's Techno Violet is one of only 15 made in that colour and even with all the mods, it's probably still costing half the price of a decent CSL yet its a far more capable car if compared it to an original CSL.

Yes, the limited edition cars are worth more and hold value better but if you never really intend on selling the car, does it really matter?

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
Edition 30 worth the extra?
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 01:52:08 am »
@DaveMsport

In a nut shell yes.

VW to my mined never really give the standard mk5 GTI the attention to detail they should of, but lucky they released the ed30.

The ED30 is what the mk5 should of been
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:06:59 am by Dogma »
MK5 ED30

Offline unzippy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 04:33:07 am »
Edition 30 worth the extra?

Yes.  Hope that helps :smiley:

Offline d0mokun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
  • Merovingian Ninja
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 01:20:33 pm »
I'm late to the party and all of that but having had three MK5 GTI's now, one of which was an Eddie, yes, they are special and worth it.

The Mk5 GTI is an awesome car. The Ed30 (or Pirelli if you swing that way) is an incredible car and the thing that'll be a classic. It just feels that bit more.. special. Having never driven an R32 I'd hazard a guess that it's in the same boat, power or tuning potential notwithstanding.

Dan.
My current cars are:
08 S5 4.2 ¦ 79 Trabant P601L

Artist and car lover.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 06:35:10 pm »
When I bought my GTI just over 3 years ago I didn't really do much research into the potential of an Ed30 compared to a GTI in power terms - at that point I told myself I was done with the modding game and 200bhp standard would more than suffice...

Predictably, the modding bug bit again and my GTI is pretty much at its potential on the K03 with all the bolt-ons. Knowing now that an Ed30 with the same mods would be making a solid 350bhp does make me wish I'd held out for one (I've naturally been toying with a k04 conversion for a while), but hindsight ey.

In all honesty it's only the power potential I'm personally missing. For other people it's the exclusivity, or both, which is fair enough. Perhaps if VW released the Ed30 on proper boost like the S3 it'd maybe have caught my attention more at the time, but as we all know VW were never going to release a GTI with more power than the 'flagship' R32.

But anyway, bottom line is all you guys with an Ed30 or Pirelli own the best iteration of arguably the best Golf GTI for decades

Offline gtipirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • Golf GTi Pirelli
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 06:58:15 pm »
My Pirelli has just hit 10 years old and it still turns heads. The silver Pirelli alloys against the diamond black paint really makes it stand out.

80k miles and a full VW service history but I am still going to sell in the new year and scratch that Porsche itch. Will be devastated when it goes but life moves on. I have enjoyed every mile in it

Will let you all know when I put it up for sale - just have no idea how much to ask for it
Golf GTi Pirelli - Diamond Black, 5 Door - SOLD
now 718 Cayman S PDK

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 678
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2018, 09:44:55 am »
When I bought my GTI just over 3 years ago I didn't really do much research into the potential of an Ed30 compared to a GTI in power terms - at that point I told myself I was done with the modding game and 200bhp standard would more than suffice...

Predictably, the modding bug bit again and my GTI is pretty much at its potential on the K03 with all the bolt-ons. Knowing now that an Ed30 with the same mods would be making a solid 350bhp does make me wish I'd held out for one (I've naturally been toying with a k04 conversion for a while), but hindsight ey.

In all honesty it's only the power potential I'm personally missing. For other people it's the exclusivity, or both, which is fair enough. Perhaps if VW released the Ed30 on proper boost like the S3 it'd maybe have caught my attention more at the time, but as we all know VW were never going to release a GTI with more power than the 'flagship' R32.

But anyway, bottom line is all you guys with an Ed30 or Pirelli own the best iteration of arguably the best Golf GTI for decades

Your car pretty much looks like and ED30 and goes like one  :happy2:

VW deliberately tuned the ED30's power & torque to be under their corporate FWD traction limit.  240hp/tq and above, out came the Spandex 4WD system!  Plus there is also the corporate hierarchy as you say.  ED30 - 230hp, R32 - 250hp and S3 - 265hp.

Roll on 11 years and the Clubsport S is rocking 306hp and FWD  :grin:   I guess traction control sytems and tyres weren't up to the task back then.  I also think the CSS is aimed at peeps who know how to drive as well, and not for folk who think throttle pedals are binary  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2018, 10:04:02 am »

VW deliberately tuned the ED30's power & torque to be under their corporate FWD traction limit.  240hp/tq and above, out came the Spandex 4WD system!  Plus there is also the corporate hierarchy as you say.  ED30 - 230hp, R32 - 250hp and S3 - 265hp.

Roll on 11 years and the Clubsport S is rocking 306hp and FWD  :grin:   I guess traction control sytems and tyres weren't up to the task back then.  I also think the CSS is aimed at peeps who know how to drive as well, and not for folk who think throttle pedals are binary  :grin:
True. I've spent a fair bit on performance mods so it's genuinely quick now. In fact, it walked all over an S3 recently (which must have been bone stock).

Three years on and I still love it, Ed30 or not :)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 678
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2018, 11:06:47 am »

True. I've spent a fair bit on performance mods so it's genuinely quick now. In fact, it walked all over an S3 recently (which must have been bone stock).

Good stuff  :happy2:  Likewise, very pleased with mine right now with the chassis mods and standard power. Many thanks for your inspiration on the 340mm brake setup.  Loving those too  :happy2:

I say standard power, but Revo's idea of stock mode differs from VW's somewhat  :grin:  It keeps up with 7Rs in rolling squirts  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2018, 05:15:16 pm »

Good stuff  :happy2:  Likewise, very pleased with mine right now with the chassis mods and standard power. Many thanks for your inspiration on the 340mm brake setup.  Loving those too  :happy2:

I say standard power, but Revo's idea of stock mode differs from VW's somewhat  :grin:  It keeps up with 7Rs in rolling squirts  :smiley:
The brakes are great aren't they. Really glad I ended up with the two piece Clubsport S discs too (after my nightmare with cheap discs). They take a real battering - more than I'd ever realistically give them on the road. I pulled alongside an 18 plate R a couple of days ago and couldn't help feeling a bit smug seeing his one piece discs behind the wheels. They now offer the CSS discs as a 'Performance' pack on the R, incidentally.