Make a donation

Author Topic: HELP!! Bonnet Catch Sensor.  (Read 11636 times)

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 15
  • Edition 30
HELP!! Bonnet Catch Sensor.
« on: February 13, 2010, 07:34:34 pm »
the bonnet has decided its open - even tho its well and truly shut! Any ideas where the sensor for it is on an ed30?

wipers not working either as it thinks the bonnet is open. Oh yeah and the alarm is going off.

Offline holepunch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: HELP!! Bonnet Catch Sensor.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 07:44:47 pm »
I'm pretty sure its built into the catch mechanism.  I had mine replaced last week as it broke,  bodged it with a couple of cable ties unil i could get it fixed.

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Edition 30
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 10:38:56 pm »
I'm pretty sure its built into the catch mechanism.  I had mine replaced last week as it broke,  bodged it with a couple of cable ties unil i could get it fixed.

yep stripped it down and the sensor is part of the mechanism for the catch. soaked it with WD to no avail. Had to unplug the sensor in the end. Trip to VW on monday it is!

At least the alarm has stopped going off!

Offline morry_ed30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 11:14:34 pm »
Yeah good man, bonnet catch micrswitch works on the principle of open circuit meens bonnet is closed and vice versa....unplug the switch and as far as the cars concerned the bonnet is closed :grin: If your taking a trip to the dealer they will price you a whole bonnet catch as the microswitch dont come seperate, would recommed changing the first part of the cable while your there, dont cost much and there terrible for corroding and sticking, :happy2:

Offline Jase ED30

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 12:41:50 pm »
I had this a few weeks ago. Initially the alarm wasn't too fussed about the situation though. That is until the Saturday night when I was miles away on a rare night out (two kids). THEN while parked oustide the house I've only been in a few months it decided to anounce it's presence to the neighbours by sounding the alarm CONSTANTLY.

Hint: this does nothing for your popularity in the neighbourhood.  :ashamed:

Result was me heading home to deal with the thing as VW assistance wouldn't/ couldn't look at it without me being there. Oh I was so happy........

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Edition 30
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 09:50:25 pm »
Yeah good man, bonnet catch micrswitch works on the principle of open circuit meens bonnet is closed and vice versa....unplug the switch and as far as the cars concerned the bonnet is closed :grin: If your taking a trip to the dealer they will price you a whole bonnet catch as the microswitch dont come seperate, would recommed changing the first part of the cable while your there, dont cost much and there terrible for corroding and sticking, :happy2:

I will be expecting them to fix it under warranty!

I had this a few weeks ago. Initially the alarm wasn't too fussed about the situation though. That is until the Saturday night when I was miles away on a rare night out (two kids). THEN while parked oustide the house I've only been in a few months it decided to anounce it's presence to the neighbours by sounding the alarm CONSTANTLY.

Hint: this does nothing for your popularity in the neighbourhood.  :ashamed:

Result was me heading home to deal with the thing as VW assistance wouldn't/ couldn't look at it without me being there. Oh I was so happy........

Yep thats what it was doing!!

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Edition 30
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 10:17:09 am »
Booked it in for thursday. Hopefully they will have ordered the parts in advance like i just asked the to so i dont have to book it in again. 

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Edition 30
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 10:17:41 pm »
Went in today new bonnect catch fitted. No issues at all with them. Said they would fone when it was ready and true to their word at half one i got a fone call to say it was ready.

Bonnet catch done under warrenty no charge. they also tightened the heatsheild on the cat as it was rattling.

They did however fleece me £13 for a bloody touch up paint tho  :confused: