Make a donation

Author Topic: cabin noise  (Read 3505 times)

Offline aidogti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
cabin noise
« on: February 19, 2010, 11:23:11 pm »
hi lads lovin my gti, very happy. Ive noticed a little rattle when on uneven road there is a slight rattle somewhere on the passenger side i keep listening but can seem to find excactly where it is.  so my question is, is there any common cabin noises in the mk5 (rattles) any of you's guys have come across??

thanks

aidan

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
Re: cabin noise
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 09:34:19 am »
Had two...

On the passenger interior door handle the top screw had worked loose.  You only need to work the cover off the handle to get to the top bolt.
Had to use some plumbing Ptfe tape to get it to stay in place.

The second was a loose cable inside the door panel - quite easy to get to.  Just 3 (or four) bolts hold the bottom of the panel the rest are clips.

Hope this helps  :smiley:
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
    • My Build thread
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 09:43:20 am »
There are loads of rattles and noise in the mk5 cabin. I have fixed about 5 or 6 of them, but new ones keep appearing. That's the donside of VW's cost cutting. The plastics are all cheap hard plastics and thus you get rattles. The mk4 was constructed with much higher quality materials... wasn't as pretty though.

The best solution I have found is to track down the offending rattle, remove the plastic trim and line the rear with felt. Anywhere that plastic touches plastic, put felt in between. This works brilliantly.

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 09:58:34 am »
There are loads of rattles and noise in the mk5 cabin. I have fixed about 5 or 6 of them, but new ones keep appearing. That's the donside of VW's cost cutting. The plastics are all cheap hard plastics and thus you get rattles. The mk4 was constructed with much higher quality materials... wasn't as pretty though.

The best solution I have found is to track down the offending rattle, remove the plastic trim and line the rear with felt. Anywhere that plastic touches plastic, put felt in between. This works brilliantly.

Funny that - mine is an early GTI like yours but it is as quite as a mouse now the passenger door is sorted.  Previous owner told me the lock on the passenger door was replaced on a recall - so I blame the muppets at the garage for not putting it back right.

My big gripe is the road noise.  Current project to get quite tyres - think I may post a new thread  :laugh:
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline aidogti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 10:35:08 am »
thanks lads ill have a good look later and see is anything loose...

thanks again :happy2:

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
    • My Build thread
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 12:21:13 pm »
Funny that - mine is an early GTI like yours but it is as quite as a mouse now the passenger door is sorted.  Previous owner told me the lock on the passenger door was replaced on a recall - so I blame the muppets at the garage for not putting it back right.

My big gripe is the road noise.  Current project to get quite tyres - think I may post a new thread  :laugh:
I guess you got lucky!
I know what you mean though, the road noise is horrific. If you find quiet tyres, please let me know. I need new tyres anyway and I'd like to get some quiet ones. Also on the agenda is sound deadening.... when I get round to it.

Offline aidogti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 11:53:11 pm »
one thing i noticed today was i had my son in the car and didint seem to hear the noise???? so got me thinkin it could be the seat belt hittin of the plasti coloum.... maybe