All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Down on power....

<< < (28/35) > >>

Soundlab:
Glad to hear it's all sorted now Robin   :drinking:

Daz

RedRobin:

--- Quote from: bacillus on November 08, 2008, 07:47:23 pm ---
--- Quote from: RedRobin on November 08, 2008, 06:15:39 pm ---I'm not having any fuel pressure problems as such but my dyno plot is showing a very slight dip which would be got rid of if the APR fuel pump was installed - So it's very likely my next mod. It would just help everything run better and with less demand.

--- End quote ---
Interesting to note that on one hand VW Racing who you seem to have great faith in don't recommend an uprated HPFP whilst JMK are trying to sell you one because of a slight power dip that you probably don't even appreciate when driving.

Decisions, decisions... 

--- End quote ---

....I had further discussions with VWR about the HPFP and found that they were basing their opinions on what was known about faults in the early FP versions. Also, they don't use FP's in their race cars and I have also learnt that they are always very reluctant to recommend anything which they don't have direct and fairly extensive experience of. I think that's fair enough and at least it means that the things they do recommend are as a result of some heavy-duty use.

I don't know if the particular racing rules allow an aftermarket fuel pump.

JKM aren't trying to sell me one - Keith actually said I don't need one based on my plot but it was myself who raised the subject of the dip (only very slight) and asked why and how it could be changed - An FP was the answer and certainly would be recommended if a car was experiencing fuelling problems and a more dramatic dip in the curve.

:happy2:

RedRobin:

--- Quote from: WhiteGTI on November 08, 2008, 08:01:42 pm ---The standard fuel pump cant cope with the extra fueling requirements of the stage 2 map, which results in falling fuel pressure, which again will result in a misfire as pressure falls further. He would notice the misfire no doubt.

--- End quote ---

....Not necessarily as I understand it. It will depend on the settings (boost, I believe) in the Stage2 map.

For example, B7 and higher may induce the problem more than B6.

JKM data logged mine to check that very point and I'm okay on B6 - At least at present.

WhiteGTI:

--- Quote from: RedRobin on November 08, 2008, 08:10:17 pm ---
--- Quote from: WhiteGTI on November 08, 2008, 08:01:42 pm ---The standard fuel pump cant cope with the extra fueling requirements of the stage 2 map, which results in falling fuel pressure, which again will result in a misfire as pressure falls further. He would notice the misfire no doubt.

--- End quote ---

....Not necessarily as I understand it. It will depend on the settings (boost, I believe) in the Stage2 map.

For example, B7 and higher may induce the problem more than B6.

JKM data logged mine to check that very point and I'm okay on B6 - At least at present.

--- End quote ---

Yes, much better put than how I wrote! What you said above it what I meant!!  :ashamed: :ashamed:

RedRobin:

I forgot to add that VWR's GTI's don't run above 250 bhp IIRC.

Shouldn't we be splitting this thread off into the different subject of Fuel Pump?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version