All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Down on power....

<< < (29/35) > >>

bacillus:

--- Quote from: RedRobin on November 08, 2008, 08:13:12 pm ---....

I forgot to add that VWR's GTI's don't run above 250 bhp IIRC.

Shouldn't we be splitting this thread off into the different subject of Fuel Pump?

--- End quote ---

RR can I suggest that before you embark on the upgraded HPFP route, you first find out what version cam you presently have i.e. type A or B. The earlier A type is known to suffer with premature wearing of the fuel pump lobes and that may be exacerbated by the higher loads that an uprated pump puts on the cam.

The cost for a replacement cam can be quite pricey when labour for fitting is included.

RedRobin:

--- Quote from: bacillus on November 08, 2008, 08:28:42 pm ---RR can I suggest that before you embark on the upgraded HPFP route, you first find out what version cam you presently have i.e. type A or B. The earlier A type is known to suffer with premature wearing of the fuel pump lobes and that may be exacerbated by the higher loads that an uprated pump puts on the cam.

The cost for a replacement cam can be quite pricey when labour for fitting is included.

--- End quote ---

....That sounds like an extremely sensible thing to do!!

Is this anything to do with what's called "cam followers"?

bacillus:

--- Quote from: RedRobin on November 08, 2008, 10:09:02 pm ---
....That sounds like an extremely sensible thing to do!!

Is this anything to do with what's called "cam followers"?

--- End quote ---
The A cams have softer fuel pump lobes and tended to wear more quickly than originally anticipated even when the fuel pump cam lobe follower was in good condition. This could occur with the standard pump.

VW recognised this "deficency" and updated the cam to version B on later cars that is less prone to premature wear. I think they also altered the hardened coating on the surface of the fuel pump cam follower to compliment this change.

The fact that you have one of the earlier cars prompted me to alert you to a potentially costly upgrade in the short to medium term should you go with the upgraded pump and find that your cam has worn prematurely.

ukdub:
RR I think you will have the AXX engine like myself.  Which is what is fitted to the early GTI's.  I took out my HPFP about a month ago to have a look at the follower and cam lobe.  Everything was fine and showing no sign of wear. :jumpmove:  As for which cam, I have the 2 piece cam fitted.

Which means it has the hardened lobe on which the follower and HPFP runs on. Yours should be the same. :happy2:

Oh my engine has 67k on it and has been running APR stage 2 for 45K

Have a look at this
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3754451

neg:
Not all A cams are soft, it was the later batch which there was an issue with and so had a recall on - if you have an A cam but not in the recall list it will be ok - I looked into this before swapping mine.

Thanks for all the info Robin, although an expense at least its now sorted.  I will speak to JKM regarding your logs and look forward to your pics etc.

Regarding your turbo I meant if you sold as-is and then someone else then got it refurbed .. but like you say it might not be much different that getting an exchange unit from VW - hopefully the let you do an advance exchange.  Also again like you said warranty might not count :wink:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version