All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Down on power....

<< < (13/35) > >>

joesgti:

--- Quote from: RedRobin on November 03, 2008, 03:46:11 pm ---
--- Quote from: joesgti on November 03, 2008, 03:34:37 pm ---trust me, you would know the difference. the spool up was alot slower on my car and a slight lag, now no lag whatsoever. have you got any graphs that you could post of your car on the RR? i can then compare this to some of my older ones!  :smiley:

--- End quote ---

....Surely you should not have experienced any noticeable lag before the S3 i/c was installed. Butt dyno? Placebo?

No time to sort out graphs, pics of, uploading etc right now - I'll post an overview when this issue is solved - I have other priorities right now.

--- End quote ---

not so much lag, just took longer to spool, so i guess this is lag?  :rolleye:

Teutonic_Tamer:

--- Quote from: RedRobin on November 03, 2008, 03:29:28 pm ---
--- Quote from: joesgti on November 03, 2008, 02:23:33 pm ---well i cant recomend the s3 cooler enough!!! turbo spools up ALOT quicker and holds boost alot better higher up in the revrange!

its one of the only mods that i could feel the difference when driving!  :jumpmove:

--- End quote ---

....I'm not saying that the S3 i/c isn't an excellent mod, but only that JKM's logs (no, they haven't removed the stock i/c for tests - TT please note) are not indicating any issues with my stock i/c.

To feel the difference on road rather than track, Joe, I reckon you must be driving your car like you stole her - But I suggest that without the experience of driving one myself.

Whereas JKM would of course like the extra business of installing a S3 i/c, all their logging etc on my car suggests that unless I was doing trackdays, my stock i/c is doing its job, and though a great mod, it's not one I need at present.

:happy2:

--- End quote ---

But I am stating that JKM are NOT testing your i/c correctly.

The correct way to "log" an intercooler is NOT on an RR, but out driving the car, capturing data on the fly.  The simple fact that JKM have not even carried out basic testing on the i/c, yet also state that your stock i/c is perfectly fine is completey beyond me!

Their approach is completely out of order, because JKM have failed on many levels for correctly testing the i/c - but what do I know.  My "knowledge" has only been proven in an English court of Law as being a legal "Expert" standard, even against the world's largest insurer (Lloyds of London, High Court Division).  But if you are happy to be fobbed off by JKM, then good look to you!  :sad:

And just for the record, you do NOT need to be "driving like you stole it" to notice the difference of the S3 cooler.

Teutonic_Tamer:

--- Quote from: RedRobin on November 03, 2008, 03:51:19 pm ---
--- Quote from: neg on November 03, 2008, 01:55:08 pm ---KO4 would need relocation of DV + new discharge pipe but theoretically it should work as long as you limit the boost, but then you wouldn't be running K04 specific software so it wont try and hold the boost for that long anyway.

--- End quote ---

....Surely fitting a K04 without the rest of the package would result in turbo lag. It's swings vs roundabouts (assuming you know the expression).
--- End quote ---

On a standard car, maybe.  Comparing a standard K03 to a standard K04, then the K03 can provide peak boost from about 1750rpms, whereas the K04 peaks from around 2250rpms.  But with a remap, you should be able to negate some of the lag.

--- Quote from: RedRobin on November 03, 2008, 03:51:19 pm ---Need I remind anyone that the whole package costs £4K.

--- End quote ---

Where does the £4k come from?

RedRobin:

Steady on, TT - AFAIK, JKM HAVE been out on the road capturing data on the fly - They usually do. They really are much more thorough, and experienced with this engine, than you seem prepared to accept. Just because I personally don't know or understand all the detail doesn't mean they have been remiss.

Re my comment to Joe about driving like you stole it - I did also say that I hadn't ever driven a S3 i/c equipped GTI and therefore was saying I had no back-up for my comment.

Let's not let this degenerate into any mud slinging. At least, not at this stage please.

Teutonic_Tamer:
Sorry Robin, I'm not trying to start a slanging match or anything.  :smiley: 

But I feel like sh!t today, and am trying to offer my advice, and perhaps I misunderstood what you said about JKM.  However, I do feel they are wrong to state that a standard GTI cooler is satisfactory when compared against the level of modifications of your own red beast.

Peace.  :smiley:  :grouphug:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version