All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Down on power....

<< < (18/35) > >>

RedRobin:

I had a chat about my problem with my VW dealer today - Specifically the guy who is now on the Service desk but who still occasionally doubles as Mechanic and is now a Revo agent. In other words he's someone whose opinions I trust and someone who can 'take off his VW hat' and be unbiassed with me.

On the basis of everything I was able to tell him, he reckons it's probably the wastegate at fault, which of course is an integral part of the turbo.

After asking why I didn't consider a K04 but understanding my reasoning, he also said that a K03 turbo wouldn't be run in until about 8,000 miles [cue for TT to spit and splutter his disagreement] so the option I was taking was a good one, also taking into account hire car costs.

I'll keep this thread informed, neg, but I am out Friday night and with the Biali boys at APS all Saturday (I'm hoping!), so it may be well after the turbo investigation on Friday.

NotNormal:

--- Quote from: RedRobin on November 04, 2008, 04:09:20 pm ---
After asking why I didn't consider a K04 but understanding my reasoning, he also said that a K03 turbo wouldn't be run in until about 8,000 miles [cue for TT to spit and splutter his disagreement] so the option I was taking was a good one, also taking into account hire car costs.

--- End quote ---

turbo's don't really have a running in milage

they aren't really a component that requires running in. Once a new turbo is fitted, primed with oil and then ran it'll perform the same from day one untill either the oil seals fail or the bearings fail.
The main variable that 'wears' on a turbo is the actuator.
The diaphrams can split or more commonly the springs wear - easy fix, buy a new actuator.

Not read through the many pages of your topic, but the actuator might be worth checking.

Regards

Tom

RedRobin:

Thanks, Tom.

I think that the actuator is integrated in the K03/K04 turbo, or at least can't be inspected separately. I stand to be corrected.

RedRobin:

^ Every cloud has a silver lining! ^

So, you see, my turbo problem has its benefits  :love: :evilgrin:

[I wish!!]

NotNormal:

--- Quote from: RedRobin on November 04, 2008, 05:28:05 pm ---....

Thanks, Tom.

I think that the actuator is integrated in the K03/K04 turbo, or at least can't be inspected separately. I stand to be corrected.

--- End quote ---

All actuators are revovable, it's the penny valve on the wastegate itself thats a turbo off inspection.

They might mean that theyhave to loosen off the turbo to get the actuator out due to it's location on the turbo. (note i've not seen it's placement on the turbo)

And your silver lining is a cute one  :happy2: lol (even if it is a picture)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version