Make a donation

Author Topic: Clarts broken MK5 GTi  (Read 8455 times)

Offline Clart

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
Clarts broken MK5 GTi
« on: April 24, 2019, 05:46:23 pm »
So I've just bought a broken MK5 Golf GTi with DSG on an 07 plate, Had it a week, love the car but it now sounds like a tractor!  :sad:
I'm going to put an engine in it, I'm thinking an S3 engine maybe? I'm on a budget so I want to do things on the cheap, but not cut corners!
I'll be installing the engine myself along with help from my Dad.
So my first question is what engine should I be looking at getting?
I want to keep it as simple and painless as possible but I want a quick reliable engine.
I've been told that S3 is the way to go, thoughts please people. :)

Offline Vintyd

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Clarts broken MK5 GTi
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 12:12:46 pm »
What happened to your engine mate :/

I think most people recommend the CDL engine code as an upgrade

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 12:48:49 pm »
You probably just need a new cam chain and tensioner.
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 04:25:08 pm »
Isn't fixing the car an easier option? Just replacing the lump because of something like a cam chain tensioner issue sounds excessive. Now if its a bottom crank or top end valve problem yes please go ahead but let us see how you get on with a build entry  :happy2:

I admit I am not a skilled mechanic so wouldn't even attempt something like an engine swap without ramps, air and a nice warm garage.
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline andyiseddy02

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2006 Passat SEL estate. 2.0 FSI T.
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 10:39:13 am »

I admit I am not a skilled mechanic so wouldn't even attempt something like an engine swap without ramps, air and a nice warm garage.
[/quote]

LOL, my son and I did all this in the back yard on a MK2 Golf and Jetta, my son was the leading hand as he is very strong minded when the mood takes him.
We had to stop for a while, there is a picture somewhere of six inches of snow burying the car.

We took everything useful out of his Golf, everything not needed out of the Jetta he bought and put everything into the Jetta. Along with an engine rebuild and upgrade the Jetta was quick. He once said a bloke in an R32 stopped next to him at some lights and asked what was under the bonnet as he could not believe he had kept up with him. Happy days.

Offline Clart

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 09:47:10 am »
We dropped the sump last weekend and found lots of metal debris in there and that the balance shaft was wobbling about all over the place. I've ordered a balance shaft delete kit from eBay and are in the process of fitting that.
Hopefully fingers crossed this will fix my issues!

Offline Andy1982carp

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 10:24:10 am »
Intresting I had the same bought a 08 GTI in December (already broken) a bit of a story but oil starvation was going to rebuild it but cost just out weighed it so bought another engine (byd) stripped rebuilt it along with a ko4 s3 inter cooler and loads of other bits just need to do fuel pump and I can get it remapped alot of work many late eves being a mechanic helps as all work has so far been carried out by myself and for what could now be a 370ish hp car was cheap all in at the mo I think cost including buying the cars around 3200 mark