Make a donation

Author Topic: Quick buying advice would be appreciated  (Read 4889 times)

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
Quick buying advice would be appreciated
« on: February 20, 2010, 08:01:16 pm »
Hi all

After a short time in a new 2009 Impreza STi, I have decided that I cannot live with the very harsh ride, poor interior and the unwanted attention that it recieves. Due to a change of jobs, I also use it around town mostly, which does not really suit it.

I have been offered a fair price as a straight purchase at the local Subaru dealer, and have been on the look out for a GTi. I have found a Dec 2008 Edition 30, with the right spec. I am told taht it is fully loaded with options, inc sunroof, sat nav, cd changer, winter pack, smokers pack, luxury pack, xenons, cruise, heated seats, parking sensors, 2 yr service pack etc. Does anyone know what these packs consist of? Also, what do people think about the sat nav system?

My main concern is the ride, is it considered very harsh around town. Also, it the edition 30 laggy or difficult to drive in town?

I need to decide tomorrow, so any feebdack or thoughts on the above would be very welcome.

Thanks very much

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Quick buying advice would be appreciated
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 08:11:59 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  :happy2:

You are only going to get positive answer's on here, why cant you take it for a test drive  :chicken:

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 08:14:08 pm »
ooh me first up....not sure about the ed30 but my gti is a joy wherever i am i town twisties and esp short straight roads where i can burst and oveertake almost anything i wanna :evilgrin:
and if its fully loaded then yessireeeeeeeee!#
matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline icenutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 08:15:46 pm »
Service Pack includes 'free' servicing.  Normally a pretty good deal.

Sat nav - depends on the model.  MFD2 is wank, rns510 is ace, chances are you have the former.

I don't think the ride is harsh - I'd call it controlled.  SWIMBO complains it makes her jiggle though...

I find the engine on mine laggy low-down, but once you have a fair amount of revs on lag isn't a problem.  I personally think this is a good thing as it means if I short shift it is easy to drive slowly, and you get good fuel economy.

Go for it, you won't regret the change.
Get all your sports nutrition products here; http://www.myprotein.co.uk and use the code MP73153 to get 5% off your first order.

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 08:23:44 pm »
Thanks all - just the quick replies I was seeking!

The car is some 200 miles away, and I cannot find one locally to try..... the sat nav is described as DVD sat nav if that makes a difference? Is the suspension stiffened on the ED30? Is the Bluetooth quite compatable (Blackberry)?

Thanks again all!

Offline subaru26675

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 08:25:58 pm »
I will straight swap you for a white  08 plate ed30  :grin:

Kev

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 08:26:52 pm »
Sat nav is cool, dont expect a comfy ride though IMO, there a bit choppy , GTi and ED30 share the same suspension

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 08:27:27 pm »
The turbo on the edition 30 is bigger than the one on the GTI and so kicks in later (2750 instead 1750 i think?) which is why there's a lag but TBH if I know I'm gonna need the power eg overtake I drop down a gear so I'm using maximum power.

Don't find the ride particularly harsh but never owned a scooby to compare it with.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 10:13:14 pm »
Thanks all - I think I neeed to drive one tomorrow!

Looking at the photo I have, it looks like the RNS 510 unit (I compared with Goggle images).

Just slightly concerned that the ride and lag won't be much of a improvement over the Subaru. Am I right in saying that the ride should be no different to a std GTI with 18"s?

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 10:17:45 pm »
Thanks all - I think I neeed to drive one tomorrow!

Looking at the photo I have, it looks like the RNS 510 unit (I compared with Goggle images).

Just slightly concerned that the ride and lag won't be much of a improvement over the Subaru. Am I right in saying that the ride should be no different to a std GTI with 18"s?

The ride is fine its a sporty family hatch.  :happy2:

And the lag on the KO 4 is hardly noticable. There are a few people on here come from Scooby's and they have never looked back.
The RNS 510 is renowned as one of the best touch screen nav units there is. it is only let down by the 4 digit postcode recognition. Still great though.  :smiley:

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 10:29:20 pm »
Probably going to be shot down in flames but.   
I think you will hate the lack of traction after the scooby.
The answer to some extent is the White line kit, but you won't get the grip of the 4wd system.

I also miss the flat 4 sound of the scooby, it still turns my head.

If it was my money I would be looking at an Audi S3.

Sorry if I have offended anyone just my 2p
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 11:24:21 pm »
I had an S3 which I sold to get a deposit for a house. I then got a promotion so had more money and bought an Impreza turbo. I kept it for 2 months then got totally sick of it's crap interior and harsh ride. I part ex'd it for MY S3, which the dealer still had in! :grin:
I reckon the S3 is much better than an Impreza for an ervery day car and the GTI also beats it too (although the traction is poo in comparison).

Offline aidogti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 12:02:04 am »
well i prefer the gti ovber the impreza... dont get me wrong the impreza is unreal for puttin the power down but i really like the smooth power from my gti.... thats just my opinion... i cam from a 03 300bhp wrx to a standard gti and im well pleased.. and im sure you will too.  the power is so smooth and without the boyracer noise

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 08:27:37 am »
Hi all

After a short time in a new 2009 Impreza STi, I have decided that I cannot live with the very harsh ride, poor interior and the unwanted attention that it recieves. Due to a change of jobs, I also use it around town mostly, which does not really suit it.

I have been offered a fair price as a straight purchase at the local Subaru dealer, and have been on the look out for a GTi. I have found a Dec 2008 Edition 30, with the right spec. I am told taht it is fully loaded with options, inc sunroof, sat nav, cd changer, winter pack, smokers pack, luxury pack, xenons, cruise, heated seats, parking sensors, 2 yr service pack etc. Does anyone know what these packs consist of? Also, what do people think about the sat nav system?

My main concern is the ride, is it considered very harsh around town. Also, it the edition 30 laggy or difficult to drive in town?

I need to decide tomorrow, so any feebdack or thoughts on the above would be very welcome.

Thanks very much
........sounds like a good one mate.I would go for it. I love my standard GTI & if i had had a bit more cash i would def of had an edition 30.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 01:12:40 pm by Gene Hunt »
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 09:35:24 am »
Hi GE90, welcome to the forum,

below is the put of my standard ED30 from the Briskoda RR day yesterday, as you can see they make 160 ish ft/lb at 2000 rpm which i find makes the car easy to drive around town. 

There are a suite of great cars in the VAG product range, so you can pay's your money and take your choice. :happy2:

You won't regret it :drinking:

Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI