Make a donation

Author Topic: Manual Shifter Springs? Big Resistance when changing gear.  (Read 1009 times)

Offline monk180

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Manual Shifter Springs? Big Resistance when changing gear.
« on: June 21, 2019, 07:51:03 pm »
Hi there,

Something has been bugging me a long time regarding the ease of shift in my car. I thought it was a dragging clutch, although it does drag and clutch needs doing, I have noticed something when the car is tuned off also.

So imagine sat in car engine off, and just pushing the stick back and forth from 3rd to 4th, even though it feels the same in all gears, just simpler to explain, as 3rd and 4th are on the same horizontal movement.

So as an example, of selecting 4th from neutral:

1. It will go into 4th fine, and can feel it engaging and helping the movement fine.

2. But when pushing from 4th to neutral, there is very heavy feeling of overcoming some resistance first, and this is in all gears.

From searching the web, seems to be selector springs? That are too tight? Are they on the sifter or gear box?

Or maybe I am wrong, hence asking the forum..

Thanks
Freddie

Offline monk180

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Manual Shifter Springs? Big Resistance when changing gear.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 08:58:54 pm »
Also, when trying to slowly move the stick from 4th to neutral, there is this creaking noise, when moving within the resistance point.

Offline GTi-Nugget

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 09:57:48 pm »
Mine had the shifter creak when I bought it.

To fix that you can either replace the gearstick bushings if they're really worn, which will also remove any play or wobble in the gearstick.

But if you don't want to do that, buy some grease (I chose spray grease so it would blast into the gaps) and chuck some grease all over the white plastic bushings that are at the bottom of the gearstick under the shift gaiter.

Found the shifter was way smoother and no more creaking.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Offline monk180

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 11:50:47 pm »
Hi mate,

Yeah just tried that with WD40 and some 321 oil... The creaking has stopped.

But the tension of the initial movement is till there.  I guess springs, want to know where are to loose off..

Thanks
Fred