Make a donation

Author Topic: Project Black Mamba - 2009 Leon Cupra  (Read 12996 times)

Offline john_o

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
Re: Project Black Mamba - 2009 Leon Cupra
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 12:04:42 pm »
hello and welcome, very nice and some good info.
personally I would have just had it vinyled matt black, you crazy man  :signLOL:
I too have the v2.2 APR stg1 K04 file and its pretty epic compared to earlier versions  :drinking:
I think your gain seems a bit excessive but I did see +60 hp gain on an earlier file.
Dont forget your car will also get stronger as its run in  :happy2: , so maybe your baseline figures has crept up a bit  :wink:

All in all top work though and good luck with the future mods  :happy2:

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 03:00:27 pm »
Looking very nice. Agree with nousey about the rims. Need to be changed.

next week there will be an update on this.

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 03:03:18 pm »
hello and welcome, very nice and some good info.
personally I would have just had it vinyled matt black, you crazy man  :signLOL:
I too have the v2.2 APR stg1 K04 file and its pretty epic compared to earlier versions  :drinking:
I think your gain seems a bit excessive but I did see +60 hp gain on an earlier file.
Dont forget your car will also get stronger as its run in  :happy2: , so maybe your baseline figures has crept up a bit  :wink:

All in all top work though and good luck with the future mods  :happy2:

i actually didn't belive it myself .

so i sent the raw dyno logs both to APR and seat sport in Spain.

they looked at the dyno raw data and logs (i logged the car while on the run) and it looks fine.

the OEM run is also on the money - let's say 10% power loss . so 210X1.1 is 231bhp which looks around right for a car with that low milage.

so we have to accept the 300whp , which at the same 10% factor translates into 330bhp.

stage 2+ will be done this week , but on a minimal level since i am already eager to move from the k04 turbo.

Offline CarrG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 05:21:23 pm »
Nice work mate look forward to the progress.

I would have gone vinyl tho  :stupid:
K1 Revo 2+
Ibis RS3
VW California 180 DSG "Candy"!

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 05:24:53 pm »
Looks lovely matey, looking forward to see the progress  :pomppomp: :drool:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 07:05:31 pm »
Looks good Poko good to see some other countries tuning exploits.

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 01:23:17 pm »
Ok , it's time to move on with my project.

I moved to the second phase of my project which also includes some more power mods, but since I am still waiting  for parts I will update later.

Right now it was time to start upgrading my suspension setup.

Since the car project definition is a "Race car for the road" I was going to go for an extreme setup ,but one that can still cope with daily driving on Israeli roads, which are not renowned for their paving quality (very bad).

After much contemplation between JIC Cross competition , Bilstein and some TEIN options I have decided to go with KW.
The decision to go with KW is not only due to their high product quality but also because of their amazing technical service which is extremely important in a part like suspension.

Of-course I went for the Club Sports due to the option to have them with pillow top s , camber plates and linear springs.

Pic :

In order to complete this suspension setup I have chosen to go with APR's front and rear anti roll bars , 27mm diameter and with 3 hardness levels :

The entire setup :

And going on the car :

Now to the important part, how do they feel.

Let's start with the good stuff.
Body roll becomes something you read about, no matter at what speed , no matter how hard you take the corner, there is absolutely no body roll.

The nose also keeps pointing straight forward, no matter how hard you accelerate or brake, it is absolutely awesome.

handling wise, this is now purely a race car. It feels it just came off the world championship and was allowed to drive on public road, everything is sharp and immediate , nothing like the stock suspension.

However (you knew it was coming didn't you ?)
With Israel's horrible road , such a track based setup is not so ideal for public roads. And I am really not discussing comfort issues here.

The combination of very short suspension travel with extremely quick rebound and damping doesn't allow for safe handling of bumps and potholes , and let me explain.

the car never loses its grip, but the driver does. Without racing harnesses and an FIA approved bucket I have already met the ceiling not once or twice and found myself hanging on to the steering wheel instead of choosing a corner line.

hitting a bump at very high speeds will even cause the car to lift all 4 wheels off the road. The cool thing about it is that the land is perfect and it never reached the bump stop. 

all that I could have accepted , but the real problem is the grip , which is too high for the public road.

you have as much traction as you want as long as the tires hold , but once they let go the car will just "jump" a lane until it gets traction again. It will stay composed , but nevertheless you are now in the next lane.

on the race track that is desirable and fine , but on the road , that's not something you wish to happen , especially if there is a car in the lane you just went into.

So what do I do ?
With the help of Pit stop, the local KW distributor we had several long discussions with the MOTORSPORTS division about a solution.

after clarifying that this is really a matter of national security and they are putting the peace in the middle east on the line if they don't sort out my suspension , they have told me to wait a day and they'll get back to me.

after internal discussion they thought that the clubsports can be set up in a good way for my needs , but not excellent , and being German engineers , that wasn't really accepted.

Therefore as I write those lines, the Clubsports are being taken off the car to meet a plane to germany and give birth to a new KW variant.

now you all know Variants 1 , 2 , 3 and the clubsports.

MEET VARIANT POKO :

1) Club sports shell , retaining pillow tops and camber plates.
2) shortened and re-valved  V3 shock fitted to CS body.
3) Linear , Race springs with lower spring rate , fitted for the V3 internals.
4) custom tuned for my cars exact weight (by axle) by KW themselves.
I guess that in 3-4 weeks variant Poko will be on the car and I can update you some more on how good they are.

but I must give it to KW for some awesome customer service.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 01:35:15 pm »
 :congrats:  Amazing suspension write up.  :happy2:

Just a thought, would it have not been easier to get the Israeli Government just resurface all roads throughout the country.  :driver:

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 01:37:38 pm »
:congrats:  Amazing suspension write up.  :happy2:

Just a thought, would it have not been easier to get the Israeli Government just resurface all roads throughout the country.  :driver:

doesn't need to be all roads , just where i drive.

let me just give them a quick call and see if i can cancel that shippment to KW  :signLOL:

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 03:30:41 pm »
looking forward to seeing the rest of this build, lots of good info so far. a good picture of the cupra rear brakes showing they are the same as the GTI, also showing the they are a package with steel suspension parts on the rear, and the R32/Cupra fronts are parred with the alloy susp. parts of the S3/TT. So vag goes after a certain weight across the brake platforms, thx Poko  :popcornsoda:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 06:22:11 pm »
Really enjoying this so far, keep it up Poko  :notworthy: :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 08:44:09 pm »
looking forward to seeing the rest of this build, lots of good info so far. a good picture of the cupra rear brakes showing they are the same as the GTI, also showing the they are a package with steel suspension parts on the rear, and the R32/Cupra fronts are parred with the alloy susp. parts of the S3/TT. So vag goes after a certain weight across the brake platforms, thx Poko  :popcornsoda:

yes :)

wanna know something extra , front suspension parts actually have "AUDI" written on them.
i'll try to take a closeup pic of that.

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 08:46:30 pm »
just a little addition.

i got the car back with the OE suspension but with the APR ARB's.

the thing is a can't belive how much just the ARB's diminish body roll.

it's not at zero body roll like the KW setup but actually there is so little of it right now , its amazing.

however riding back on the Stock shocks after the track like feel of the KW is a real bummer.

and the car went back up of-course and looks again like a Jeep.

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 02:32:24 pm »
Ok , some updates.
As far as the suspension goes, I have decided to re-install the Clubsports as they are and try to work a setup with them since i don't want to compromise on handling.
 If after trying the best I will still find them too harsh , than I will go to the uprated V3 conversion.

Engine wise, the car is making progress on getting to stage 2+ and dyno , hopefully some info on that next week , and then its bye bye k04.

In the meantime I have decided , that after almost 1500 miles it was time to change the wheels and tires.

The wheels were changed to LENSO Drag series D1R's at 18X8 with an offset of 38.

The wheels are also painted (original from LENSO) in matte black and although it is not the same shade as mine, it works really nicely.

As for tires, as temps I have installed TOYO R1R in original fitment of 225/40/18. And I must say those tires are a massive improvement over the Dunlop sportmaxx with a treadwear of 140 compared to the dunlop's 280.

Those tires and probably wheels will be changed again as the project moves along , since I am really trying to find in Israel 18.5X18 wheels with an offset of 45 and higher in order to fit 255's.

BTW,  at 38 offset and with my height , the wheels rub. But that will be sorted out real soon.
And now for some pics :

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 03:23:43 pm »
The wheels work for me Poko!  :happy2: