Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG Lurch and Dealers  (Read 11352 times)

Offline AlanEdition30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
DSG Lurch and Dealers
« on: February 26, 2010, 12:04:27 pm »
My dsg edition 30 has started to lurch a bit when moving off from a standstill. The car has a revo remap and revo dsg map and the car is currently in the dealers. They have noticed its remapped and are currently waiting to hear from vw about the dsg problem, with them knowing its remapped do you think it is unlikely that i will get the problem sorted through warranty?

Has anyone else been in this situation? i think its the classic mechatronic unit problem with the dsg. If it doesnt go through warranty and i have to pay for it myself anyone know how much it is likely to cost?

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: DSG Lurch and Dealers
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 12:20:43 pm »
I would definitely have taken the DSG map off before it went into the dealers.  :rolleye:

They would more than likely have been fine with the engine map, as they sell GTI's with maps now.  :smiley:

It will be a very expensive fix to do it yourself as VW will not sell the parts.  :sad1:

Offline bowie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 12:23:51 pm »
yeah. sounds like the mechatronic unit.  It depends on the dealers attitude as to whether they advise VW that they think the car is remapped. Some are just happy to fill the workshop and some maybe jobsworths. They need to get approval from VW as its such an expensive item. They will also do an update which I would think overwrite the dsg map you have. May also overwrite the engine remap too.
How is your relationship with the dealer ? Are they big or small ? Are you a regular customer and did you buy the car from them ?
The official line I think is that if  there are any performance enhancing mods then they won't honour any dsg related claims.  

Chris.
2010 Golf R DSG. Reflex. 3dr.

Offline bowie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:25:44 pm »
I would definitely have taken the DSG map off before it went into the dealers.  :rolleye:

They would more than likely have been fine with the engine map, as they sell GTI's with maps now.  :smiley:

It will be a very expensive fix to do it yourself as VW will not sell the parts.  :sad1:

Why won't they sell you a mech unit then ?

Chris.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 12:28:02 pm »
Because they can sell you a full box for twice as much.  :grin:

Offline bowie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 12:30:18 pm »

lol ! Yeah. Thats sounds about right !   :smiley:

Chris.

Offline AlanEdition30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 12:42:08 pm »
The relationship with the dealers is fine, whether there passed on that its remapped i dont know. i was under the impression the dsg remap was undetectable, but im probably wrong.

If it doesnt go through warranty and i have to pay for it myself then so be it. i remapped the car knowing the risks, i just wanted to know how much it would dent my bank balance  :sick:

Another thing is it only lurches every now and again. Is it worth leaving the problem to see if it gets worse or not? Or will leaving the problem damage the entire box instead of just the mechatronic unit?

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 12:47:00 pm »
What mileage is your car a few people on here have had similar problems and a new DSG oil change has fixed them.  :happy2:
 If you have given it a tough life this may fix the fault. Also you can do a reset with the VCDS cable which may also help.  :happy2:

Offline AlanEdition30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 12:56:49 pm »
the car has done 25K and i had the dsg oil changed in december. I use a van for work so during this sh1t weather the car has only been used about 5 times since december. could it be down to not being used these last few months?

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 01:03:24 pm »
May well have something to do with it, get out and give it a good run... Mechatronics units cost thousands so I would be changing that as a last resort  :scared:

Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 05:41:35 pm »

You can buy the mechatronics on it's own and it costs around £1000  :surprised:

The whole new box is over £3k  :scared: :scared:

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 09:03:52 pm »
the car has done 25K and i had the dsg oil changed in december. I use a van for work so during this sh1t weather the car has only been used about 5 times since december. could it be down to not being used these last few months?

25k is nothing :O

SteveP MK5 GTi DSG did up to 60k miles and still runs very well :happy2:

I'd only be replacing if you really had to... i mean... the odd jerks from standstill... even on the odd occasion i get that... i think everyone gets it
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 09:05:34 pm by Rich »
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 09:06:24 pm »

25k is nothing :O

SteveP MK5 GTi DSG did up to 60k miles and still runs very well :happy2:

I'd only be replacing if you really bad to... i mean... the odd jerks from standstill... on the odd occasion i get that... i think everyone gets it

Rich i sometimes think you live in Cuckoo land.  :signLOL:

SteveP's DSG has broken twice.  :fighting2:

And all DSG cars dont jerk from standstill.  :stupid:

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 09:12:54 pm »

[/quote]
And all DSG cars dont jerk from standstill.  :stupid:
[/quote]

Not all    :P

I do sometimes get a bouce forward if i'm selecting reverse and drive quickly,
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline Robert74

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 09:13:53 pm »
My car has only done 25k it has broken down 3 times since December with the same gearbox fault every time. You either cannot get out of park or you put in drive and the engine revs like it is in neutral. In both cases the gear display on the MFC just flashes continuously and you cannot get the key out. The VW dealer has just fitted a new gearbox control unit. The first time the fault had vanished by the time it was recovered to the dealer and they said it was because the battery was low. No engine management light was on. The second time the car again cured itself by the time it got to the dealer but engine management light was on. This time they changed the gear stick assy. which they had just changed because the gearstick gaiter was broken. The third time again the car cured itself by the time it got to the dealer but engine management light was on and this time they changed the gearbox control unit. Hopefully this will be the end of it. Luckily the car was under a VW extended warranty. Do you think they would have had to change the gearbox oil change when they changed the control unit?
2006 GTI 5 door DSG