Make a donation

Author Topic: New member with a MK6 GTi! A couple of questions  (Read 3019 times)

Offline Dooge

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
New member with a MK6 GTi! A couple of questions
« on: September 27, 2019, 09:07:49 pm »
Hey all,

I've been lurking on here a little while! Just bought a MK6 GTi in United Grey on Sunday. I travelled an 8 hour round trip for it after finding it in eBay.
Usual nice GTi spec:

Heated leather, RNS510, highline clocks, Monza II's, etc. Its been mapped by Stealth Racing with a dyno print of 270 which sounds a bit ambitious but is smooth and pulls well. Completely stock otherwise. Theres a few bits I want to get sorted, the first will be getting the cam chain tensioner checked and replaced if its original.
Secondly, I have some rust breaking out on the bootlid, I can't work out if its been caused by water pooling or if it something has damaged it. I may take it to VW and see what they say, if not I have a good bodyshop nearby.

I wanted to do a few mods too, short shift kit, LEDs for the interior and update the headlight bulbs. I've also considered a centre res delete but not sure how loud it'll be. Having come from a loud car, I love how quiet the Golf is at medium to motorway speeds but it seems to lack any kind of real exhaust noise. Any recommendations?

Can anyone recommend a short shift kit? Any other worthwhile mods?

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
Re: New member with a MK6 GTi! A couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 06:47:37 am »
I run the s3 shifter with solid bracket bushes and have had the clutch bleeder delay restrictor removed. This combination along with VAG gear oil makes a decent improvement. Assume the mk6 uses the same hardware?!?

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 12:10:09 am »
welcome to the forum---if its mapped by Vince at stealth the r/r result will be spot on

Offline Dooge

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 09:32:05 pm »
I run the s3 shifter with solid bracket bushes and have had the clutch bleeder delay restrictor removed. This combination along with VAG gear oil makes a decent improvement. Assume the mk6 uses the same hardware?!?

Thanks Colesey, Ill look into it. I assume its the same but not sure! It doesnt need to be a massively shorter, its just longer than I am used to.

welcome to the forum---if its mapped by Vince at stealth the r/r result will be spot on

Thanks Andy, its run really well so far, no issues. I have no plans for power increases but I know its got a good base to extend if I want to.

If I knew how to upload photos on here Id get some photos up already!

Offline colesey

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 05:27:05 am »
Fwiw Dooge, you are right to not want to make the shift too short. Innately, it isn’t the slickest of boxes and the gear change will never be that fast. By taking some of the slack out of the system - and the powerflex engine mount inserts will help here also - you can make the shifts more satisfying.

Offline Dooge

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 08:32:04 pm »
Fwiw Dooge, you are right to not want to make the shift too short. Innately, it isn’t the slickest of boxes and the gear change will never be that fast. By taking some of the slack out of the system - and the powerflex engine mount inserts will help here also - you can make the shifts more satisfying.

The Clio I have just come from has a very short shift as standard and its taken a bit of getting used to. Saying that, its relatively smooth and non offensive but I find the same problem I did on my previous BMW's; shifting smoothly, especially changing from 1st to 2nd and a little from 2nd to 3rd, which will be due to a clutch delay valve I am guessing?

Powerflex engine mounts, I fitted them to my Clio and they improved handling and made it feel more direct. It did increase vibrations though, how does it effect the Golfs?

I bought the car as I wanted a softer, quieter, faster and more refined drive along with a 5 door car and more toys. I am reluctant to play around too much with it as any mods are a compromise, it improves things one way but theres generally a tradeoff.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 11:49:52 am »
I haven't noticed any negatives to the powerflex upper mount inserts (already had a racing line one in the subframe for several years) but the improvement in traction and throttle response is very worthwhile. You no longer need to wait for the engine to stabilise its rocking when changing gear though ultimately the box itself is the main impediment.

Offline Dooge

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 10:16:16 pm »
I haven't noticed any negatives to the powerflex upper mount inserts (already had a racing line one in the subframe for several years) but the improvement in traction and throttle response is very worthwhile. You no longer need to wait for the engine to stabilise its rocking when changing gear though ultimately the box itself is the main impediment.

Thats pretty much what happened with the Clio but the extra vibrations at idle were off putting, didn't notice any extra vibrations?

Offline colesey

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 06:26:10 am »
No, no vibrations though i made sure to use road durometer inserts. I know some people have issues with the lower engine mount inserts however mine was already done ages ago and I just used powerflex’s upper mounts. Fwiw I have a manual car, think there may be more NVH issues with dsg boxes.

Offline Dooge

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 07:31:46 pm »
No, no vibrations though i made sure to use road durometer inserts. I know some people have issues with the lower engine mount inserts however mine was already done ages ago and I just used powerflex’s upper mounts. Fwiw I have a manual car, think there may be more NVH issues with dsg boxes.

Sounds great, I might look into those. I am trying to be sensible though, Im meant to be saving for our house deposit and I keep seeing stuff I want for the Golf! I've always done the same, said I'm not going to spend money on the car but that quickly goes out the window!   :grin: