Make a donation

Author Topic: Now its multi function  (Read 11042 times)

Offline dougle_turbo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Now its multi function
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2010, 03:16:18 pm »
Have just bought those buttons off ebay £60........pretty happy with that and as I have a German address £1 for p+p! Now for the fun bit of fitting them. Can anyone show me a picture of what i need to prod to get the steering wheel apart?

Cheers Rich BTW for finding that set on fleabay.de!

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 13
  • I have an eBay business !
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2010, 03:21:24 pm »
Have just bought those buttons off ebay £60........pretty happy with that and as I have a German address £1 for p+p! Now for the fun bit of fitting them. Can anyone show me a picture of what i need to prod to get the steering wheel apart?

Cheers Rich BTW for finding that set on fleabay.de!

cheers doug just about to buy some !
While your on the the best GTI forum, get your wife to peruse my.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BRIGHTSPARKS-CONSULTANTS-WEB-STORE

Offline dougle_turbo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2010, 03:30:37 pm »
British Lion do you want my address out here? Im back in the UK next Sat, and can drop them off/post them for you if you like?

Let me know,

Doug
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 03:55:31 pm by dougle_turbo »

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2010, 03:34:00 pm »

Just realised i need one with a star button as i have fitted an rns so want voice control !

need to re check but will let you know on german adress thanks dougie !

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2010, 03:51:05 pm »

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2010, 04:19:25 pm »
So cant find a fitting instruction, so a quick explanation!

First thing to do is to park the car with the steering wheel at a right angle, so the bottom spoke is parallel to the ground (this will minimise the amount of dry steering required) then disconnect the negative battery terminal, this will allow you to isolate the air bag, and also prevent any error codes being logged.

Then release the steering column adjuster so that you can move the steering wheel as far away form the dash as possible.

Remove the trim below the dials with the leatherette that links to the steering column, this should just pull gently forwards, this will then allow you to remove the top plastic cowling from the steering column, this is held in place by 4 metal trim clips, I did this by inserting a trim removal tool into the gap between the upper and lower trim on the front face (the area normally hidden by the steering wheel) this gave enough purchase to pull the trim off by hand, in an upwards direction.

Once you have this out the way you will then have space to get a screw-driver behind the steering wheel, this is the point where you might need a small mirror, as you are looking to insert the screw driver into the oval slot with what looks like a large phillips screw driver head, the air bag is attached to one of these on either side via a metal loop, you use the screw driver to un-hook the loop. you can see the holes and clips in the picture below.

and the hooks in this picture of the back of the airbag

Once off, you need to insert the key to release the steering lock and turn the wheel through 180 degrees while being careful not to pop the airbag back on to the clip youve just removed. 

This time make sure your supporting the airbag when you un clip the hook, as the wiring will be the only thing holding it in place, once released undo the yellow air bag wiring harness and place the airbag to one-side.

Next you need to un-screw the two controller blanks from the wheel this requires a torq screw, it is the same size as all the rest in the car.  You will also need to un-wire the DSG paddles via the white connector blocks.

At this point you can either decide to keep the steering wheel controller that is slotted into your wheel or replace it with the one you got with your buttons (if you did)

The controller is just wedged into a rubberised hole so use a screw driver or trim removal tool to prize it out.

Now reverse the process but with your buttons, make sure the cable ribbons and DSG cables are tidied away correctly before simply pressing the air bag back in place, then remove the key (if you havent already) and reconnect the battery.

Some threads said it was advisable to turn the ignition on without sitting in the driver seat in case the air bag fires but I think this would be fairly unlikely.

HTH

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline dougle_turbo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2010, 05:10:13 pm »
Rich sir, you are a scholar and gent, will attempt this little manouvre next weekend.

Hopefully I wont blow my head off with the airbag  :grin:

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2010, 05:29:47 pm »
Rich sir, you are a scholar and gent, will attempt this little manouvre next weekend.

If your are lucky your fist might soften the blow of the airbag  :jumping:  :P

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline dougle_turbo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2010, 05:32:46 pm »

If your are lucky your fist might soften the blow of the airbag  :jumping:  :P

Knowing my luck i'll be prodding something with a screw driver at the time, and that will end up stuck in my head.....should make for an interesting trip to A+E though!  :grin:

Offline Britishlion

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2010, 05:33:57 pm »

Doug keep us updated how you get on !

im a like you so would be interested to find out how hard it is !

disconnecting the negative on the battery would scare me  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline GTIforpassion

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2010, 08:52:21 pm »
It's only for the DSG version, yes.

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2010, 09:07:46 pm »
Out of curiosity lads, if I bought, say an R32 DSG wheel, which has the later buttons (2006+) the raised ones, will it still work ok in a 2005 DSG GTI providing I get a compatible SW controller of course?

And also, the next question, I don't use the OE head unit, I have an Alpine aftermarket one, which, ironically, provides a CAN-BUS steering adaptor which I have already wired in, in any other car, this would make the steering wheel buttons work with an aftermarket radio - so am assuming the same on this assuming I can use the later raised buttons from a later model?

Offline Neimad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2010, 09:31:18 pm »
Just noticed these if anyone is interested:

[ebay]290456746994[/ebay]

Currently going at 1 Euro (albeit with 9 days left to run) with 10 Euros shipping to the UK being sold by someone in Hungary...

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2010, 09:11:13 am »
Out of curiosity lads, if I bought, say an R32 DSG wheel, which has the later buttons (2006+) the raised ones, will it still work ok in a 2005 DSG GTI providing I get a compatible SW controller of course?

And also, the next question, I don't use the OE head unit, I have an Alpine aftermarket one, which, ironically, provides a CAN-BUS steering adaptor which I have already wired in, in any other car, this would make the steering wheel buttons work with an aftermarket radio - so am assuming the same on this assuming I can use the later raised buttons from a later model?

Hi Sean,  The buttons will work with the 2005 car, thats what mine is I do have the RNS510 so I cant comment on the compatibility with the Alpine unit, but if it has an up-link to the canbus then it should be listening out for the right signal.  One thing to note is that the newer buttons dont appear to have a function for skipping tracks unless you have the highline computer with the music menu, then you can use a short press to skip.  So if you just want to skip track and change volume, and you dont have an RNS then the old style buttons might be better.

But importantly both will work.

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2010, 10:09:34 pm »
Many thanks Rich, much appreciated - reading that definately better for me to get the older buttons as im forever skipping tracks  :grin: