Offline stormbringer555

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Hello
« on: March 03, 2010, 11:09:59 pm »
Hi  ,I've Just bought my son a Mk2 GTI 8v 5dr  as his first car.Took me back to my Golf syncro.
I've got the bug again and have settled on a Mk5 GTI .Any tips on what to look for .
Must haves incl Cruise control and I want do do a few track days .
Thanks
John
On a Mille mission..
Looking for an Edition 30 DSG Tornado Red.

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:39:12 pm »
Try and get to drive a DSG  :wink:  They are great! I wouldn't go back to manual now I have the DSG. Also try and pay a bit more for the edition30 or pirelli models  :happy2:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 09:12:31 am »
Welcome, you should definately try a DSG, and dont worry about the cruise control it is one of the easiest things to retro-fit the original unit.  Even at a dealer it likely wont cost more than £200, I even persuaded mine to fit it for me for free to help me decide to buy the car  :happy2:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 09:19:56 am »
welcome along! ;)

Offline stormbringer555

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 10:20:47 am »
Thanks for that.Interesting to know you can retro fit the Cruise control.What patrs are needed and will it have to be activated once fitted by the dealers computer?
Is it possible to retro fit the factory satnav as well ?
thanks
John
On a Mille mission..
Looking for an Edition 30 DSG Tornado Red.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 10:29:48 am »
Most things can be retro-fitted, its all a question of how hard, im no expert in this like some on here (ive only had mine for 2 months) you just need to replace the indicator stalk for one that has the cruise buttons, and activate it in vag-com and possibly a cable to the ECU.  Im not 100% on this as the dealer did it for me, but from what I read it is one of the simplest fits.

And yeah you can retro the satnav, RNS510 is the best unit also know as the MFD3 (its what comes in the roco and MK6) there are some things that you need to watch out for but there are alot of threads and also experts in retro-fitting the nav units, so search and you shall find  :happy2:

The most difficult things to retro are the highline computer (especially on newer 06-07 cars) MFSW (multi-function steering wheel) and the xenon lights, so you are better off making sure you have them as original fit, if you want them rather than cruise or sat nav.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 10:40:16 am »
Most things can be retro-fitted, its all a question of how hard, im no expert in this like some on here (ive only had mine for 2 months) you just need to replace the indicator stalk for one that has the cruise buttons, and activate it in vag-com and possibly a cable to the ECU.  Im not 100% on this as the dealer did it for me, but from what I read it is one of the simplest fits.

And yeah you can retro the satnav, RNS510 is the best unit also know as the MFD3 (its what comes in the roco and MK6) there are some things that you need to watch out for but there are alot of threads and also experts in retro-fitting the nav units, so search and you shall find  :happy2:

The most difficult things to retro are the highline computer (especially on newer 06-07 cars) MFSW (multi-function steering wheel) and the xenon lights, so you are better off making sure you have them as original fit, if you want them rather than cruise or sat nav.

include retrofitting of comfortheater with remote, i have to part the wiring from a complete wiring as kufatec don't make it for remote  :sad1:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 05:22:59 pm »
Welcome along matey, good luck in finding a ride  :pomppomp: :wink:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 01:26:00 pm »
Welcome fella!  :drinking:

The search button is your friend!  :wink: Oh and don't listen to the old 'Auto' fan boys, still a lot to be said for a good old hairy chested manual!  :happy2:

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 01:20:50 am »
Hi and Welcome... :driver:
Cheers,

Wayne